New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Bigace360

Ruby on Rails?

So a job recruiter called me today and saw that I had some skills in ruby and wanted to know if I would program in Ruby on Rails for their company that is a web-oriented environment.

Our client is looking for a well-rounded Quality Assurance Automation Engineer that is familiar with the growing technology landscape and desires to contribute in a fast-paced, web-oriented environment. This position requires a strong analytical sense combined with a dynamic, creative approach. You will be responsible for creating and executing plans and procedures used to ensure high levels of quality for complex, consumer-oriented, web-based applications.

The problem is I have no clue how Ruby on Rails looks. So my question is:

• How similar is "ruby" to "ruby on rails." Reason I asked was because the questions they asked are more web-oriented than normal ruby language oriented.
  • Does anyone have any tutorials on Ruby on Rails, JSP, CSS, JavaScript, Struts, and/or Ajax.

Any help is appreciated.

I don't know about Ruby on rails, but if you want to answer your question just look up some tutorials, eg here http://net.tutsplus.com/category/tutorials/ruby/ Find a very basic intro one (im sure there's one in there). My guess is that it's quite different and you can't just start writing in it, but you could pick it up with practice.

I don't think you can take the job or will be able to do it. It doesn't sound like a starter position, sounds like they want a guy to throw in the deep end and use his skills to start writing. HTML and CSS are very simple (generally) but at the end of the day, every website no matter what's in the back end is gona spit out HTML and you need to know that well and how it works. You gotta know how to use it properly too.

And yeah ajax calls are made in javascript and most web companies use a framework like jQuery to further simplify things. It's like saying javascript, particularly ajax.

I don't know about Ruby on rails, but if you want to answer your question just look up some tutorials, eg here http://net.tutsplus.com/category/tutorials/ruby/ Find a very basic intro one (im sure there's one in there). My guess is that it's quite different and you can't just start writing in it, but you could pick it up with practice.

After doing some research, I just realized that Ruby on Rails is almost written the same as Ruby but for web development. So I would be fine there, it's just the other stuff they mentioned that you've already read that I'll have to look into if I want to have an interview. I'll take a look at that link in a minute.

I don't think you can take the job or will be able to do it. It doesn't sound like a starter position, sounds like they want a guy to throw in the deep end and use his skills to start writing. HTML and CSS are very simple (generally) but at the end of the day, every website no matter what's in the back end is gona spit out HTML and you need to know that well and how it works. You gotta know how to use it properly too.

And yeah ajax calls are made in javascript and most web companies use a framework like jQuery to further simplify things. It's like saying javascript, particularly ajax.

Basically, I was thinking the same thing on the phone when the recruiter was talking. When he said Ruby, I was thinking of something more not Ruby on Rails based. But the good thing is that on their requirement page the only language that is required is Ruby plus:
  • Experience with SaaS based application development is a plus
  • Working knowledge of the Watir test automation framework is preferred.
So having those other skills in JSP, CSS, JavaScript, Struts, and/or Ajax is actually just a plus. I have little skill in CSS, but it's now more of a fading memory by now. However it will be easy to readapt to CSS than trying to learn the other languages though.  I still have more questions to ask the job recruiter anyways. Hopefully he can find me some starter positions instead, otherwise I definitely need to move to California as DC/Virginia/Maryland area sucks for starter jobs at my college level for programming.

Note: Watir = Web Application Testing in Ruby

You're studying at uni/college? I found it pretty easy to get web jobs but they've been casual, nothing career wise. I learnt almost everything for the purpose of building the site too, it's quite fun. If websites is what you're interested in, I can help you in Jquery, ajax, css, html and php. Not so much the ruby. If that's what you want a job in, I can point you to some good tuts and give you pointers.

Not really what I want in a career, the thing is that the first time I talk to the job recruiter was today so the first thing he spotted on my resume was I had knowledge in Ruby so this job popped up in search before talking to me. That's the only reason we're talking about this today. In reality I would hope it would be more video game oriented job, then a web-development application job for newly wedded couples, which I told him on the phone when he asked what Black Eagle Gaming Studio was. But if you can give me some pointers in any of those languages than that would be much appreciated.

Do you mind if I ask how many game's you have actually completed through all phases mate? I would recommend not putting something like that on a resume unless you have worked with something other than RM/IG, Wouldn't too bad if you made a game using unity or unreal.

As for website based stuff I only really know HTML and CSS, every other language is a bit of a hit and miss for me. I know tid bit's of other languages but not enough to make a major thing out of.