New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Bob423

Airships and Boats

I've already made a boat using the ship tileset, which was a huge pain to do. The problem is, I need both an airship and boat that the player can explore and use, similar to how the airship in FFX works. I already have the destination selection system planned out and everything, but I can't seem to get the ship itself right and I can't find an open sail for the ship tileset, which would be very helpful as i plan to have the player walk on the ship while it is sailing/in flight.

If someone has something I can use to make the ship look like an actual airship instead of just a weird flying boat, that would be great.

It seems like these are things that people would want, but I can't seem to find anything besides crappy looking airship sprites.

If that's confusing:

This is how the airship system will work:

-The player gets a special item that, when used at a savepoint will teleport them to the airship.

-From the airship, the player can access a world map where the player's graphic becomes a hand cursor

-Locations the ship can land are marked with blue orbs. The location that the player needs to go to in order to progress through the story is marked with a red orb. Locations that have not been unlocked yet are marked with grey orbs.

I already know how I want to do all this with events

Here's the problem: I need an exterior airship tileset

This is how the boat will work:

-The boat can be used to sail to one island before the airship is unlocked.

-The player will get on the ship and be transported to a map where the ship is sailing

-The first time this is done, the ship will be attacked by pirates (maybe?)

-After the airship is unlocked it will no longer be needed since it is only for one thing

Here's the problem:

- I don't know how I'm going to do the pirate thing although I have an idea sort of...

- I need a tileset where the ship's sail is open.

Also, is it possible to make panoramas scroll automatically? (to make the airship look like it's flying)

I am planning on making my own boat/vehicle system, but that won't be until the spring because I need to get this menu system done. For now I think this should work for you:

http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,12745.0.html

This script remakes rpg maker 2000 and has a vehicle script inside that you can easily strip and play around with. Hopefully this helps, if you run into errors I'll see what I can do, but I leave no promises.

Edit: Disregard this I was being retarded.

This is where I repeat myself. I'm sorry if the following seems rude, but I get annoyed when people don't read everything I type and then misunderstand what I want.

I do not need a vehicle system.

-The player will get on the ship and be transported to a map where the ship is sailing

-The first time this is done, the ship will be attacked by pirates (maybe?)

I seem to have forgotten to mention that the  boat is not controllable and goes to only one place.

Although I did say

"-After the airship is unlocked it will no longer be needed since it is only for one thing"

-The player gets a special item that, when used at a savepoint will teleport them to the airship.

-From the airship, the player can access a world map where the player's graphic becomes a hand cursor

"I already know how I want to do all this with events"

"to have the player walk on the ship while it is sailing/in flight."

"I already have the destination selection system planned out and everything"

"tileset"

"something I can use to make the ship look like an actual airship"

"airship and boat that the player can explore and use, similar to how the airship in FFX works"

"tileset"

"i plan to have the player walk on the ship while it is sailing/in flight."

If I wanted a vehicle system I would have already been using Pol's evented one. Thank you for trying to help, but I do not need the help you are giving me.

At no point do I mention needing a script. Everything will be done with events. My problem is the lack of good tilesets.

Not to mention if I wanted a script I would have posted in script requests and mentioned a need, or possible need for a script unless the script you gave me can make panoramas move.

Edited by Bob423

[facepalm] my bad, I was being retarded as it late and I'm kind of sick. Just reread it and now up to speed. I'll check my folder in the morning to see if I have any tilesets. However, I think I was looking for the same stuff. Though I think in xp.

Note: Marked we really should get a facepalm smile.

I looked and looked for days and the best I could find were tiny tilesets for VX where the sails were open, and this was found on a German site. But again, they were very tiny. I even tried to sprite it out myself and realized I'm not at that level yet, so I tried it again for three hours and ended up scrapping it.

Maybe someone else can achieve where I failed, and I certainly hope they can because I hate it when people's sprite request threads go untouched. :(

Yea, I wasn't sure what to call it. :P And I'm still searching all my bookmarks for what you need, or something similar.

Edited by CrimsonInferno

optimistic bump

This seems like the simplest thing to make that is, at the same time, harder to do than anything I can do. I can give the sail a try, but it's really disappointing that no one seems to be any better than I am at pixel art AND willing to help people.

ok, so I spent way too much time on this..

hopefully you find it good enough, it's the first time I'm doing something like this.

030-Ship01_addon3_zps66a44462.png

here's an example map

ship-sail-tilesetmapexample_zpsc4af200b.

oops, I posted twice. sorry.

Edited by Metaclaw

O.o This is the best thing ever! :D

o.O Photobucket seems to have shrunken it. Try uploading it here or to dropbox

oh? I never had this problem with photobucket before.
it seems you can download the full-sized picture here
(the second "box" on the right)
anyway, I also uploaded using the 'quick uploader' link: link