New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Sign in to follow this  
Foxkit

Language Construction Kit

I immediately appologize if this is in the wrong place. I couldn't find a place to put this specifically.

So for people who either A) write fantasy novels, or B) are Game Masters for tabletop RPG's, love creating worlds. The hardest part? Creating a written language for your races. This little toolkit: http://www.zompist.com/kit.html looks to teach you how to create a language so that it looks and sounds natural. A heads up, this toolbox is packed full of more information than most people can take in for the duration of one session. So if you don't have much time on your hands, you might wish to look somewhere else. Also, I recommend picking up a linguistics book for begginers. Picking one up will make a ton of things much more clear in the toolkit.

I was shown this by a few friends over twenty times before I finally gave in and tried it. It is how I started, though granted I'm not all that good as it really is just something I do with spare time. The information located on that page can easily confuse and scare people away from language creation. Good places to read up on the terms like morphology, case, headers, relative clauses or whatever else is through--as stated by the opening post--other resources. You want to aim for books for beginnings, usually titled "Course 101" for Linguistics.

And then reading Wikipedia pages on Linguistics terms, and then look through real languages for an even better understanding. There are tons of communities that can offer help, too. :)