New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

Games Section Revise

It's been a week since the Game Section. A few of tried it which was good, only a few of you actually published a game, which could be better.

I have made the sign up MUCH more accessible. Now you can create a Game Page on every page of the website:

b11785deda9efb5a85a45c48913cad36.png

I have also made an additional, more obvious link to the back-end for editing games:

3e26d7693649ee04a044b3bf79bb5085.png

Please let me if there's any bugs with these or anything else in the games section.

At this stage, I'd like to get feedback on the system and take feature requests. What's missing? What's good and what's bad?

Right now the future features I am considering are the following (some of these of definitely going to be in here, but there wasn't enough to add them in yet)

• Comments, divided into categories All, Feedback/Critque, Bug Report, General
  • User-submitted reviews
  • 10 star rating system
  • Like feature
  • Follow This Game feature
  • News topics that display on your Page (more of a blog)... ok, lets call this a blog
  • In-depth statistics (pageviews, downloads, statistics)
  • Ability to sell games (starting with paypal)
  • Layout variations (eg for the gallery you could chose the current 2 column grid, or a slideshow, etc. So showing the screenies, credits, and char profiles in different ways rather than only just the one way.
  • Ability to post recruitment requests (almost finished)

So I really want to know why you're not using the games section if you're not already.

Also I'm really keen to get some featured games up for the Games index page. These games will get a lot of attention, so flick me a PM if you're interested :)

I'm not using it yet becuase I don't believe my game is anywhere close to a marketable point yet. Heck, there is nothing to market yet. I can't build a hype train without anything to hype with. I don't feel like becoming the new Peter Molyneux. :P

Those features would be perfect.

I haven't put mine up there yet cause theres nothing to put up. its still in very early development, and i dont even have a story or characters. Still fleshing out the systems. My complicated rep system still got lots of work.

I'm planning to do weekly updates once I get everything together. I think the best thing for me is to treat the games Home page as an updates page. I've just made it public and you'll see my brief explanation in the Hme page.

Game:

http://www.gdunlimited.net/games/lumis

Shouldn't be too long now before I start the updates :) I'm hoping to get 2+ a week, sort of like a dev blogs diary.

Oh and I like the new Edit Game Page button Marked! Those features you have planned are good and solid, it's nice already as it is too so I really hope a lot more people start to use this, it should have the attention it deserves.

Edited by madanchi

I like the new update. It is certainly easier to spot which means it is easier for new members, especially those who have never really gotten the hang of a forum before.

Mine isn't up yet because I only recently got my key back and am working on a few things about the game first. Now that I am the sole member of my team things have gotten harder. xD

Sorry if I'm being a little blind again but is there a way to view games people have made public?

I just thought of something, how about a box that displays the latest Games made public or that have recently added an update? Not sure if it would add any real value, but it's an idea I just got.

Can we have 2 different ratings systems please :) i would love a letter based rating system like school grades) as it is very rare you seem them ;) i like it when some thing sticks out so it would need to be quite flashy I guess :p like a RPG Report Card :p

Can we have 2 different ratings systems please :) i would love a letter based rating system like school grades) as it is very rare you seem them ;) i like it when some thing sticks out so it would need to be quite flashy I guess :P like a RPG Report Card :P

This probably would NOT be a good idea, especially as we are a smaller community. Unless marked keeps us, the creators, from being able to rate our own games. I would like to point to Meta Critic and say that while having the ability to read user feedback is great for consumers, giving something an average rating system just opens up the entire system for abuse. There is nothing stopping the Creation Team (whether they be one arse, or many arses) from artificially inflating their rating. While you CAN argue that over time the volume of artificial votes will be drowned out by true votes. That generally applies to larger audience bases. I don't know about you but I wouldn't call the rpgmaker hobby audience a large audience by any stretch of the imagination. It just might be large enough to have that kind of effect here. However, if only people registered to RMU can vote. The voting pool becomes much smaller and much more open to abuse. I currently don't know how the rating system works (I know, bad research on my part.)

Sorry for that mini rant, but rating systems are an area that I don't think people think about enough. On to another subject. Marked, is there some way I can look at all games that have a project page? Currently clicking on the games link (at the navigation bar) brings me to the create a game page. For the life of me I can't seem to find out where to find the rest of the games. There is the recent games page on the forum bar, but no way to actively browse all public pages.

Edited by Foxkit

Well we can have 2 different rating systems avaliable but only 1 in operation at one moment.

I have decided to remove rmu branding by default and add more design options. After that i will add comments, followers/subscribers and a blogging system.

I love the changes so far, but I have a problem with the screenshots page.

I've deleted a couple screenshots and edited titles and descriptions, then added 1 screenshot. (now a total of 9) and for some reason, when clicking the edit button, the text window shows up, but it's for which ever image is 2 images up from the one i selected. The ones at the top show ones I've deleted.