New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Rajaat99

Playtesters Needed

I am making a game for my neices and nephews and am about 50%-60% done with it. I was hoping some people would be willing to play test it for me. It is being made with RPG Maker XP.
The game itself is an action based game with a simple storyline. It is a sequel to my previous game, Holly's Quest, which now seems lost forever. The game is called Christopher's Quest and features a crafting system and a mortality system. It uses the Sideview Battle System Version 2.1xp by Atoa and Enu.
Now, I must warn you, I am LDS (aka Mormon) and there is some LDS themed things. It is not heavy handed, but it is present. If this offends you, please do not play this game. Thank you.
Also, this game is for my neices and nephews and there are some in game jokes that you may not understand, because they're family specific.

So, is anyone willing to paytest it for me and find any bugs I may have missed?

Christopher's Quest

Edit: I use pieces of meat in the beginning of the game to teleport around and test areas. Please ignore them, if I fail to delete them.

Edited by Rajaat99

The only thing I find offensive about that is the part when you think I'd be offended by your believes.

And even if I were, I don't see why you should apologize for my petty discrimination.

In any case, I gave it a try, but I haven't finished it yet. The fact that I'm stuck grinding means I'm not gonna get anywhere soon and I may not finish it.

But there isn't much to complain about, some problems with the crafting system and the menus tho.

Crafting menu, if you press the confirm key in the recipe window, while you have no available recipes it crashes.
It does not happen in the ingredients window.
The error message is "Scene_Crafting 528 undefined method 'size' for NilClass".
Apparently it crashes because it tries to read the size of the empty array of available recipes.

Before the conversation when the rest of the group joins your party you can "interact" with KJ and William.
I would scratch that as a bad idea.
Your players will always try to break your game, you have to be ready for them.

You know that meal that laying on the ground in the beginning of the game? The one that sends you to some unknown castle with op enemies?
I pass the box puzzle on the floor and when I try to enter the gate I get a missing map000 error.

Also after looking around the floor I found a door with a bunch of switches, which opens and closes when you walk behind it. I'm not sure if that's intentional but I can actually go back trough it.

And you can actually walk over that rock which is hits you when you pick the wrong switch.

In the game menu in the party window you can see the same text with different fonts overlapping, for exp, hp and sp.
The same can be seen when selecting a target for items or spells outside of battle.
And the bar which shows the active caster in the skills menu.
And in the status window.

Another problem with the crafting system, the area in which the recipe window draws the recipes goes off the bottom of the screen when you have enough to fill it in.

And another one, it consumes your ingredients when you try to craft an item of which you already have 99 in stock.

That log next to the demon tree, you can walk on it's bottom and top tiles, but not trough the middle.

Thank you. Also, where are you stuck grinding? I tried to make the game rather easy to avoid grinding. Also, you got pretty far in a short amount of time. How long did you play?

Crafting menu, if you press the confirm key in the recipe window, while you have no available recipes it crashes.

It does not happen in the ingredients window.

The error message is "Scene_Crafting 528 undefined method 'size' for NilClass".

Apparently it crashes because it tries to read the size of the empty array of available recipes.

Fixed. Thank you. I just made you start with one.

Before the conversation when the rest of the group joins your party you can "interact" with KJ and William.

I'm not sure what you mean by interact with KJ and William. They just stand there and you can't talk to them.

You know that meal that laying on the ground in the beginning of the game? The one that sends you to some unknown castle with op enemies?

I pass the box puzzle on the floor and when I try to enter the gate I get a missing map000 error.

That was a playtesting object. I forgot to delete it. You teleported to where I last worked on it.

Also after looking around the floor I found a door with a bunch of switches, which opens and closes when you walk behind it. I'm not sure if that's intentional but I can actually go back trough it.And you can actually walk over that rock which is hits you when you pick the wrong switch.

The rock is fixed, thank you. Also, being about to go back through the door is intentional.

In the game menu in the party window you can see the same text with different fonts overlapping, for exp, hp and sp. The same can be seen when selecting a target for items or spells outside of battle. And the bar which shows the active caster in the skills menu.

And in the status window.

Another problem with the crafting system, the area in which the recipe window draws the recipes goes off the bottom of the screen when you have enough to fill it in.

And another one, it consumes your ingredients when you try to craft an item of which you already have 99 in stock.

I knew about these problems, except for the 99 one, but I have no idea how to fix them.

I'm using the SBS and the HP and SP Meters add on and I'd like to get rid of the big text and keep the add on graphic HP, SP, and Exp, but I don't know how.

That log next to the demon tree, you can walk on it's bottom and top tiles, but not trough the middle.

Fixed. Thank you.

Edited by Rajaat99

Well I'm stuck at the demon boss inside the tree. I have mostly reinforced equipment. But he spams that mass attack, which takes the party down in two turns.

Play time is just under 3 hours.

About William and KJ, that's the point. You can try to talk to them but they just stare at you, It's unnatural.

I guess it's best if you talk to the creators of the scripts about fixing the bugs, it's in their own interest anyway.

Edit: I should probably mention that I actually avoided every single battle up to this point, aside from the bosses and grinding for gold.

Edited by Saltome

Well I'm stuck at the demon boss inside the tree. I have mostly reinforced equipment. But he spams that mass attack, which takes the party down in two turns. Play time is just under 3 hours.

About William and KJ, that's the point. You can try to talk to them but they just stare at you, It's unnatural.

I guess it's best if you talk to the creators of the scripts about fixing the bugs, it's in their own interest anyway.

Edit: I should probably mention that I actually avoided every single battle up to this point, aside from the bosses and grinding for gold.

I see your point about William and KJ, I'll fix that. I'll do my best to deal with the script authors, but I know a lot of scriptwriters have moved on.

Okay, so it sounds like you're grinding because you avoided most of the battles. That actually helps, thanks. Stay with it though, you're just starting to get to the story part of the game. Also, did you check out the city and all that?

Well most of the things shouldn't be too hard to fix. If you can't get the authors to, you can ask our own scripters for help.

Yeah, I took it as a bit of a challenge to avoid them since they are so slow.

I checked out everything I could find.

Hmm... how ironic. With the right approach I killed him in 2 turns without a scratch on my team.

And a little one in a million: post-23914-0-64873700-1389417002_thumb.png

Every time you talk to the guards blocking the gate to the king's palace they keep moving further and further apart.

And you can go trough the bust in the main hall, allowing you to go up the stairs from behind.

Edited by Saltome

Hmm... how ironic. With the right approach I killed him in 2 turns without a scratch on my team.[/url]

I'm glad there is a strategy to it.

Every time you talk to the guards blocking the gate to the king's palace they keep moving further and further apart.

And you can go trough the bust in the main hall, allowing you to go up the stairs from behind.

Nice catch with both of those. They are both fixed.

I really appreciate your help. Just wait, the second area in the game will be full of them, I'm sure.

Edited by Rajaat99

so I downloaded this to check it out, thinking I'll enjoy a game and help out. but I'm afraid it wasn't fun to play through.. I'll start by pointing out the problems: I've played for over an hour, and I still have no clue WHO the main character is, where to go, what's going on, or who are all the people in my party. from the moment the game starts, the player can go ANYWHERE on the world-map. so the player is forced to randomly enter maps. each map is full with millions of random battles, floors and puzzles. and when you finally get to the end of the map, you realize you achieved nothing. the plot doesn't move on, there's no new hint about what to do next.. sometimes you'll get an item but that's all. the characters never talk during the whole thing. even your party levels barely change. also, why would you place a 'save-game' crystal anywhere BUT before the first mini-boss (in the mines)? every floor in that mine had a crystal, except the one floor where you needed it.

it had good things too. I didn't encounter any bugs. it had nice systems like the point-system, auto save on Inns, the reputation system and crafting system.

but overall, those good points were not enough to keep me playing- for me it was a frustrating experience. I went everywhere on the world-map, talked to everyone, killed every monster in every floor.. and didn't find a single clue about what I'm supposed to do. I think I simply missed some 'important' door/ladder in some cave, but it wasn't because I wasn't searching! the cave maps are too dark and the 'doors'/ladders just blend into the walls. one cave-map is completely dark and the 'lamp' you're carrying casts a light circle that blurs the few tiles you CAN see. if the doors/ladders there are as dark as in the other cave, it's no wonder I couldn't find them.

Edited by Metaclaw

so I downloaded this to check it out, thinking I'll enjoy a game and help out. but I'm afraid it wasn't fun to play through.. I'll start by pointing out the problems: I've played for over an hour, and I still have no clue WHO the main character is, where to go, what's going on, or who are all the people in my party. from the moment the game starts, the player can go ANYWHERE on the world-map. so the player is forced to randomly enter maps. each map is full with millions of random battles, floors and puzzles. and when you finally get to the end of the map, you realize you achieved nothing. the plot doesn't move on, there's no new hint about what to do next.. sometimes you'll get an item but that's all. the characters never talk during the whole thing. even your party levels barely change. also, why would you place a 'save-game' crystal anywhere BUT before the first mini-boss (in the mines)? every floor in that mine had a crystal, except the one floor where you needed it.

it had good things too. I didn't encounter any bugs. it had nice systems like the point-system, auto save on Inns, the reputation system and crafting system.

but overall, those good points were not enough to keep me playing- for me it was a frustrating experience. I went everywhere on the world-map, talked to everyone, killed every monster in every floor.. and didn't find a single clue about what I'm supposed to do. I think I simply missed some 'important' door/ladder in some cave, but it wasn't because I wasn't searching! the cave maps are too dark and the 'doors'/ladders just blend into the walls. one cave-map is completely dark and the 'lamp' you're carrying casts a light circle that blurs the few tiles you CAN see. if the doors/ladders there are as dark as in the other cave, it's no wonder I couldn't find them.

I appreciate the feedback. The game is a sequel, so you find out about your party members in the first one. However, I can try to do something for the unfamiliar characters, especially now that the first game is lost forever.

I'll try to make it more obvious where to go, but I was under the impression that some people hated that kind of thing. However, there are a bunch of side quests and random areas to go, so I can see how it would be confusing.

There is a save crystal right before the first mini-boss fight, but you may have missed it because the cave was too dark.

You didn't miss anything in the dark cave. Go to the forest in the south. I'm adding a little guy to give you direction for the next download.

Thank you for your help.

Edit: I updated my initial post with the updated game.

Edited by Rajaat99

that was a quick fix :)

thanks, and hopefully I didn't sound too harsh. eventually I did find that tree, and then the characters were talking, and there was a bit of a plot there, I actually started enjoying the game.

that was a quick fix :)

thanks, and hopefully I didn't sound too harsh. eventually I did find that tree, and then the characters were talking, and there was a bit of a plot there, I actually started enjoying the game.

I'm glad and I don't take any offense. You're helping me, after all. Besides, I want to know if the game is slow and boring, because I hate slow and boring games. The game is boring to me, because I know everything about everything. I don't want it boring for anyone else though.

I'm glad you're enjoying it and expect many problems to be reported in the second stage.

Edited by Rajaat99

Updated the files to be the most current. Thanks again for your help and ignore the meat at the beginning of the game.