New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.

Hey there fellow Game Makers, i'm sure some people recognize me, and for those who don't, Hello :)

I haven't been here in a while as iv had a lot of stuff going on in life over the last year, I started University

back in September, and was out in New Zealand for about a year and a half before that visiting family,

and did some travelling too, so ye iv had a lot on with moving back to the UK and getting settled in at University,

life be crazy sometimes!

anyway just wanted to let people know that i'm kicking around and hope to put some input into the community, 

this was one of the first places I started out when I started game development with RPG Maker, and probably 

wouldn't have had the drive to end up in the position I am in today if it wasn't for the help of some off the members

here teaching me the basics.

I have moved away from the RPG Makers now as I do find them limiting in the direction I want to go with

developing games, I have mainly been focusing on my programming skills, making games from scratch, and have 

learnt a lot over the past year, I have learnt opengl in java and also C# with xna, so I might start some tutorials and

support topics for these, as I know this community needs contributing members for different engines, I do also know

how to use Unity a little, but much prefer hard coding a game, it just gives you so much more power and ways to 

go about doing stuff.

would people like me to post content for these? i'm up to ideas if anyone has any, or if anyone would like me to

focus more on one than the other to begin, ill probably start out with the basics first and maybe start some projects

later where we have to make a basic game, to implement stuff learnt, as I know the best way to learn is set a target

and try and meet it, would also be good getting the community more involved.

anyway, let me know what you think, peace :)

Welcome to Game Dev Unlimited diagostimo.

We definitely need people like you that does tutorials about your knowledge. I am using RPG maker and Unity as soon as I fully dominate its features.

if you need any help with topics like locking them or pinning them on the tutorial section. Don't be shy and ask me. :)

Ya ya I rmb you :)

was out in New Zealand for about a year and a half before that visiting family

Eh, are you new zealander or an englishman? Where in NZ did you go? I live in Christchurch. Did you visit Christchurch's rubble? :P If you were here for a year and a half, you ought to have felt at least 1 M6+ earthquake. There was one a few weeks ago too. I'm returning to NZ in a few days

I have moved away from the RPG Makers now as I do find them limiting in the direction I want to go with

developing games, I have mainly been focusing on my programming skills, making games from scratch, and have 

learnt a lot over the past year, I have learnt opengl in java and also C# with xna

It would be really great to get some starting out content for some new engines, and more advanced ones at that! The issue I currently have is how to structure the forums. Right now we've got two huge categories for RMXP and Ace. We could add a bunch of others in a single category, and it would look like we heavily favour RPG Maker. But hey at least we can begin to diversify.

A year ago I spent a long time creating a tutorials system. I strongly recommend you take a look at creating one (it will be invisible until you publish). Once you publish a tut, it gets put on the recent posts module on the forum index and has comments. So it essentially like a topic but structured better and has better SEO, etc.

To support other engines, I also plan to add to these:

4a5f32834d65d309b2114f58457ce88f.png

1750dc96ab46e183ce384e28ea06e152.png

thanks guys, like I said I have only used unity a little, but as I have programmed in c#, which is one of the main languages unity uses, 

I am pretty comfortable using unity with what I know, but ill probably play around with it some more before making any tutorials for it, 

I can start making tutorials for straight up programming a game in c# and java though, as my knowledge is some what extensive now

on those topics, ill defiantly work with Unity some more though so I can make some content relating to that, as it is a great engine.

@Marked, no i'm not from New Zealand, my parents emigrated out there about 6 years ago now, and I originally went out there on a temporary resident visa, that I got under my parents residency, but decided i'm too young to be putting routes down yet, and decided to start Uni over here in England as I can get the most benefit been a UK citizen, but i had a great time while over there, they live in New Plymouth so I only visited the north island, but if i was to go back I would probably visit the south as that is uncharted territory as of yet :)

anyway there won't be a sudden influx of content from me, as my second semester begins tomorrow, but in my spare time ill start

composing some content I can use for tutorials and go from there, also ill defiantly play around with the tutorials section for publishing  stuff there, also maybe a category for straight up programming could be added? as a lot of the stuff I would cover is programming a game with java using opengl etc.

edit:

also how about maybe adding like a chapter system for tutorials, so say I start making tutorials for programming in java, all

the tutorials would extend onto each other, like building it in steps, that would make it easier for structuring stuff like that, but not

sure how much it would infringe onto the current system, maybe the system could be a bit like how a forum page works, where each

page of the topic is a chapter in the tutorial

Edited by diagostimo