New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Enigma

{FP14} Voting machine DRE700 elected President (Story Voting)

Voting machine DRE700 elected President

Despite the fact that we are living in the apocalyptic future of the year 20XX, where Voting Machine DRE700 has been elected president with an astounding 100% percent of all votes cast in the United States or any of its numerous territories such as Asia, Europe, Russia, and the Southern Hemisphere, we still have our imaginations, and imagination is power, at least until they harvest that too. In the meantime, we should at the very least make a first step in our project to save the gaming industry and the whole world and for that we are going to need a Setting.

Voting on: Coming Soon
This round of voting has commenced. Round 3 voting will begin soon.
 Please read the story descriptions...
1. Unite the World

This is the Story Voting thread of the FP14 community event.

PP: N/A point per vote
*You can vote on any plot you wish, including your own.
*If the plot has not been added to the poll yet, please make your vote into a post, then vote again when the option is added.
PP: N/A points per meaningful post
* A meaningful post can either be constructive criticism (criticism with a suggestion), a suggestion for a setting, or an explanation of a vote. Asking a question will result in 2.5 points instead of 5.
*To vote on an unlisted item please do so in a post on this thread.

Edited by Enigma
added new poll questions

I guess I'm a bit late,Can I submit my story? I love it!

Name of this story is "Gate Crashers"

In year 20XX when humans have a super powerful technology,They face a problem that no can solve,The sun suddenly turns into a black star and the earth is getting dark.Many people die.Humans have no way but moving to another planet out of milky way,They found a planet that some creatures live there (call them Minnarses) and as their technology is advanced,They're planning to move all of humans to there by spaceship,Name of that planet is Velsadournes.It's a very hard plan and they're trying so hard to complete it

After a few days 1/5 peoples arrived at Velsadournes and Minnarses are not happy though they accepted us to come to their planet,They call us "Gate Crashers"...

A girl named Elini,Who works in a big army on earth which is moving people to Velsadournes is trying to find a way to bring the sun back because her brother is ill (He's somehow mad) and army can only send healthy people because Minnarses don't let us bring anymore humans.A friend of her brother (he's mad too) said she must find Helios,God of the sun and ask him about the sun.Elini has no time so she stole a spaceship and went to the sun which is black now.There she met new creatures who are trying to bring the sun back and they have their own reasons for it.Anyway they go together on a journey,travel to different planets,meet new people etc,

I needs a lot of work and details but it's amazing :yo:

I had an idea, but couldn't get all of it on paper so gave up. So I voted for black mage's Post Apocalyptic Future Dystopia story. Seemed like an interesting idea, mostly because I wasn't fond with space magic or ancient reptiles. I mean I like space games, but the ideal just didn't stick for me.

My Idea was the religion vs. technology type story in the future, but I guess I'll just save the details for one of my future stories.

I had an idea, but couldn't get all of it on paper so gave up. So I voted for black mage's Post Apocalyptic Future Dystopia story. Seemed like an interesting idea, mostly because I wasn't fond with space magic or ancient reptiles. I mean I like space games, but the ideal just didn't stick for me.

My Idea was the religion vs. technology type story in the future, but I guess I'll just save the details for one of my future stories.

Technically a fully fledged story is not needed currently, just a setting that the story takes place in. It can be very specific or can be very broad like "Ocean".

I guess I'm a bit late,Can I submit my story? I love it!

Name of this story is "Gate Crashers"

In year 20XX when humans have a super powerful technology,They face a problem that no can solve,The sun suddenly turns into a black star and the earth is getting dark.Many people die.Humans have no way but moving to another planet out of milky way,They found a planet that some creatures live there (call them Minnarses) and as their technology is advanced,They're planning to move all of humans to there by spaceship,Name of that planet is Velsadournes.It's a very hard plan and they're trying so hard to complete it

After a few days 1/5 peoples arrived at Velsadournes and Minnarses are not happy though they accepted us to come to their planet,They call us "Gate Crashers"...

A girl named Elini,Who works in a big army on earth which is moving people to Velsadournes is trying to find a way to bring the sun back because her brother is ill (He's somehow mad) and army can only send healthy people because Minnarses don't let us bring anymore humans.A friend of her brother (he's mad too) said she must find Helios,God of the sun and ask him about the sun.Elini has no time so she stole a spaceship and went to the sun which is black now.There she met new creatures who are trying to bring the sun back and they have their own reasons for it.Anyway they go together on a journey,travel to different planets,meet new people etc,

I needs a lot of work and details but it's amazing  :yo:

I've added your setting to the option, and will probably add your suggestion to the story thread later. The only thing being decided on right now is the setting however, so the plot is subject to change.

But the gist of it, humanity moving to another planet will remain the same.

um, I don't know what to vote for..

sadly, I don't like the idea of a post-apocalyptic /space-exploring game.

a 'space-exploring' setting usually means the player is found, 99% of the time, inside a spaceship.

everything in a spaceship is metallic/gray.. gray walls, gray floors, gray everything. the rooms/corridors are empty except maybe a control panel and a chair. when/if the player goes outside, they go into a 'new planet', with weird landscape, and weird-looking aliens, etc.

the final result is a game that simply isn't visually-appealing. (can you tell I'm a Graphic Designer XD )

beside that, I personally find it depressing to be stuck inside a spaceship, surrounded by empty space. and it doesn't help that the human society is usually going extinct, for whatever reason..

I enjoy light-heart'ed games, with nature and sunlight, magic powers, mysteries, and a group of friends going on an adventure. not disasters, extinction, despair, etc -- cause I think we have enough of those in real-life. 

is it ok for me to suggest another idea ?

idk how popular my pre-historic idea is, and I want us to have more options to choose from.

there are many themes that weren't mentioned, like the classic medieval-times-magic-theme, a multi-player online game of some sort, a puzzle-solving game, or a game where your goal is to solve a mystery, sherlock-holmes-style, or even a fan-game of some popular TV show (Doctor Who for example)

Edited by Metaclaw

um, I don't know what to vote for..

sadly, I don't like the idea of a post-apocalyptic /space-exploring game.

a 'space-exploring' setting usually means the player is found, 99% of the time, inside a spaceship.

everything in a spaceship is metallic/gray.. gray walls, gray floors, gray everything. the rooms/corridors are empty except maybe a control panel and a chair. when/if the player goes outside, they go into a 'new planet', with weird landscape, and weird-looking aliens, etc.

the final result is a game that simply isn't visually-appealing. (can you tell I'm a Graphic Designer XD )

Have you played Mass Effect?

Also, we technically aren't talking plot just setting. Going off the title alone doesn't do each of them justice, but I don't think this site supports spoiler code anymore, so each topic just links to the post that describes them.
I can at least vouch for my suggestion in that it isn't necessarily space exploration, its an alternate earth taking place during the "space age" which takes place from the moon landing to now except that there is no cold war, and magic has replace technology. The story takes places on one planet mainly, but there are Aliens who make contact with Humanity, and those aliens are related to the ancient elf civilization humanity descends from. At this point, they are just exploring there own solar system, which doesn't have any aliens just mythical creatures.

is it ok for me to suggest another idea ?

idk how popular my pre-historic idea is, and I want us to have more options to choose from.

there are many themes that weren't mentioned, like the classic medieval-times-magic-theme, a multi-player online game of some sort, a puzzle-solving game, or a game where your goal is to solve a mystery, sherlock-holmes-style, or even a fan-game of some popular TV show (Doctor Who for example)

You can suggest another Idea, but the only ideas we are voting on currently is story settings i.e the world the game takes place in.

Edited by Enigma

alright, I suggest a medieval-times-magic setting,

steam-punk setting. a futuristic steam-punk style, in a post apocalyptic world. yeah, that sounds random enough.

Edited by Metaclaw

Since it'll be a wall of text when I'm quoting some post, I'd rather to not doing it :)

I tends to avoid a futuristic technology based theme because I rarely see any JRPG that can make a good gameplay with it. They tend just to be an action game rather than a turn-based one. And since it's RPG Maker that we talked about, obviously i'm hoping for some turn-based battle system. That's my reason for not chosing the futuristic theme.

I'm chosing a post-apocalypse theme to avoid some mainstream genres that booming in my environtment right now. Not that I dislike fantasy or some online type game. I just don't want people judge it as a copy of some popular game before even play it. So there's the line I'm trying to draw. :)

Since I thought that we're gonna make some massive game, I think the setting should be massive too. That's why I'm trying to design some of the planet's history, thus make me avoid some setting that'd be on smaller scale like puzzle-solving games that only need some setting (and most of them are trying to be absurd :v ). I like the concept of some puzzle-solving games or a mystery based games. But for mystery we need someone or two but not many, that dedicated some of his time to work on the story.

I can make some fantasy-themed, medieval-adventure, or even the puzzle mystery theme since I've a lot of ideas in my arsenal. Yes I always want to make some game based on these theme, but I think that people want something different, there goes my setting that I submited. Perhaps we can have some of these options added though there's no one submit an elaborate settings for it :)

And since it's RPG Maker that we talked about, obviously i'm hoping for some turn-based battle system. That's my reason for not chosing the futuristic theme.

Uh yes you're right! I forgot that we are going to use RPG makers...I was planning for a 3D game...I hate futuristic technology based games that are made by RPG makers (XP or VX) I just prefer a full fantasy-themed game then

Whoops :annoyed:

a good futuristic jrpg is Xenogears

Game Mechanics are linked to story and narrative, but the game mechanics simply serve as a mode to tell the story. I think its a misconception that story frames gameplay or vice versa because limitations of assets and programming obviously restrict more than a story. Granted a first person shooter necessitates projectile based weaponry and first person viewpoint but not necessarily guns, or a militaristic setting.

In other words, we should't get ahead of our selves this isn't the place for discussion of mechanics,  right now developing the setting of the world in which our story will take place is of paramount importance. Although, there is no dedicated topic in the story thread, stories, characters, and plots are to be discussed there.

Added!

I really like the idea of a sci-fantasy game with spaceships. Like...magic and spaceships.

And the idea of a space western is just awesome to me. Although the only one I've watched is Firefly. Should probably watch Cowboy Bebop and that other Anime that I can't remember the name of...

Anywho, how about this:

The year is 25XX or so. As you may have guessed, the Human race has already send many ships out to find and terraform planets and find new life. Many planets have been terraformed and it's basically the wild west, but in space. Complete with cowboy slang and everything.

A small group of people are assigned the task of colonizing a newly discovered planet. When they get there, they discover an ancient artifact from a civilization that has either left the planet, or died off completely. The artifact somehow grants people powers which are basically magic. It effects everyone differently though.

Or it could be something like a temple, which would also grant powers. Maybe it could have new stuff in it and change a bit throughout the game and the player needs to go back there a few times. Or it could be a first/last level kind of thing.

Although...Metaclaw is right, being in a space ship most of the time could get boring...maybe there's a way to get around that. Xenosaga had a space ship that the main character's traveled around in and I don't remember seeing so often I got sick of it. Most of it does look like a Hotel lobby to me though...And the first game was 99% space ship anyway, but only because the entire time they're trying to get to a certain planet but tons of stuff gets in the way.

thanks bob ^^

I like your idea a lot, but I gotta vote for pot-apocalyptic steam punk.

/shamelessly votes for self

Game Mechanics are linked to story and narrative, but the game mechanics simply serve as a mode to tell the story. I think its a misconception that story frames gameplay or vice versa because limitations of assets and programming obviously restrict more than a story. Granted a first person shooter necessitates projectile based weaponry and first person viewpoint but not necessarily guns, or a militaristic setting.

In other words, we should't get ahead of our selves this isn't the place for discussion of mechanics,  right now developing the setting of the world in which our story will take place is of paramount importance. Although, there is no dedicated topic in the story thread, stories, characters, and plots are to be discussed there.

While it's true that here and now is not the place and time to discuss the mechanics, at least we should put the engine that we gonna use to our consideration. I'm not gonna talking about how the gameplay should be made, but we should consider what is good and which are bad for the game that we're gonna make using the engine of our choice (since it's already decided that we're gonna use RPG Maker) and the setting that we're gonna choose.

Though limitation are bad for creativity, limitation are set so we're not wander aimlessly and do some wrong turn. I think we should focus on what we can achieve, not what we want to achieve. Ideals can make development walks slowly, and since the motivation are starting to decrease as far as the time for the project are passed. This is the main reason why most of some rpg project that I've seen are neglected and incomplete. Thus I prefer to focus on what we know we can do, not some ideals that we're unsure to become real.

My post (this & that) is just for adding some consideration before people vote, so at least we're sure that we're on the right track.

Btw, thank you for considering my "Black mage's suggestions" as an option, but I'm not sure what "Black Mage's suggestions" are supposed to be, since we should vote on settings, instead, I put some reasoning and maybe some setting on it, but even though it considered as a settings, it still unclear and there's more than one setting suggestion in it. So, for the sake of this project, please avoid to voting on this option, or make the setting clear on this option before voting for it. :)

Edited by black mage

While it's true that here and now is not the place and time to discuss the mechanics, at least we should put the engine that we gonna use to our consideration. I'm not gonna talking about how the gameplay should be made, but we should consider what is good and which are bad for the game that we're gonna make using the engine of our choice (since it's already decided that we're gonna use RPG Maker) and the setting that we're gonna choose.

http://www.gdunlimited.net/forums/topic/10458-fp14-we-have-technology-engine/

Engine depends on if we have a facilitator for it;i.e to use Unity or RMVX we need a facilitator with those engines.

Though limitation are bad for creativity, limitation are set so we're not wander aimlessly and do some wrong turn. I think we should focus on what we can achieve, not what we want to achieve. Ideals can make development walks slowly, and since the motivation are starting to decrease as far as the time for the project are passed. This is the main reason why most of some rpg project that I've seen are neglected and incomplete. Thus I prefer to focus on what we know we can do, not some ideals that we're unsure to become real.

thats why we are limited to voting on the setting right now, once we have a setting we can evaluate how well it can be done in our engine and then we can use it to frame how our story develops.

My post (this & that) is just for adding some consideration before people vote, so at least we're sure that we're on the right track.

Btw, thank you for considering my "Black mage's suggestions" as an option, but I'm not sure what "Black Mage's suggestions" are supposed to be, since we should vote on settings, instead, I put some reasoning and maybe some setting on it, but even though it considered as a settings, it still unclear and there's more than one setting suggestion in it. So, for the sake of this project, please avoid to voting on this option, or make the setting clear on this option before voting for it. :)

Technically, bob added the suggestions which are supposed to be anonymousish to protect integrity, plus if the setting can be described in one phrase then its more mutable.

Today is the last to vote, in the event of a tie, I will break it.

Edited by Enigma

Technically, bob added the suggestions which are supposed to be anonymousish to protect integrity, plus if the setting can be described in one phrase then its more mutable.

Oh, my bad. I didn't know :( I'm also terrible at super short descriptions lol

Round 1 of story voting is now completed.
Post Apocalyptic Future Dystopia
Not unlike the post apocalyptic dystopia that spured the need for this game
Further, discussion on this setting can be found here: http://www.gdunlimited.net/forums/topic/10462-fp14-in-the-year-20xx-story/

Round 2 will take place starting Feb 15

story lines aren't my strong suit. sorry I didn't submit any.

at least your story has high chance to be picked XD

Since the time limit for voting is extended up to 15 March, and assuming voting means you can submit a new element to vote, I think it's still okay to submit a story now :)

So, Can i still submit a story? or is that phase done?

As long as the vote is open, Story suggestions can be submitted. After March 15, the story will be confirmed and subsequent additions will only be used to modify the selected story. Furthermore, after March 15, we can start game development related to story and start considering the mechanistic factors like battle system and party organization. Keep in mind that since these decisions will stem tangentially from our story, suggestions would optimally take place in the selected setting "Post-Apocalyptic Dystopia" and be broad enough to sync with many different game play styles.

Also feel free to add characters to make it more coherent, and later add those characters to the story suggestion page.

Round 2 of story voting is now completed.
Unite the World
It might be too late to stop the Apocalypse but that doesn't mean its over yet
Further, discussion on this setting can be found here: http://www.gdunlimited.net/forums/topic/10462-fp14-in-the-year-20xx-story/

Round 3 will take place soon...