New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
madanchi

Level Design

I am in need of a small bit of guidance in regards to level design. I'm trying to get the layout of a forest area of my game, problem is forests are so wide open and it's hard for me to get some sort of structure going on as I don't want the level to be open world.

Other levels such as caves, water, sky, temples etc I am perfectly fine with, it's just these forest type levels I have problems with. I'm wondering if anyone could give me examples of top town forest level designs, or pitch some suggestions that I will try out (even drawings could help me). This is also a problem with not having a team to pitch ideas to, I'm always alone so it's even harder to develop the ideas into solid level designs.

The level itself is forest mixed with mountains, a small tree-village type area will be included somewhere too, possible within the trees themselves and the mountain (maybe a small canyon-like area with huts built into the canyon and tree overgrowth).

Finally, I thinking to either make this forest level equivelant to a Temple or just make a temple seperately, and have the forest as an area to work your way into the temple.

here's a random example. use many different heights- it makes an interesting map.

as long as there are enough cliffs blocking the path, the map shouldn't be too open.

you can add houses 'built into' the cliffs here and there. if some houses are on tree-tops, use a cliff of the same height, and connect them by a bridge.

mountain-mapexample_zps17ccb267.pngforestexample2small_zps78f6fb7c.png

Edited by Metaclaw

Thank you, those did give me some help as to how I could lay things out :) Hills and heights are always good to go for.

I just got an idea that could pose for a really interesting feature for the level, an abandoned rail track with a ghost train. Could be worked on, maybe it takes you to different areas of the level/ game world, hearing a faint distant old steam train whistle echoing through the trees.

I've also got another idea that I think will really help me get the layout designed and add a creative feel to the level :) It will be a forest inside a type of cave, but it has an open top where you can see the night sky filled with stars (which could psoe for some nice atmosphere and moods).

That idea sounds spooky haha, would definitely be an enjoyable moment in a game.

Maical, spooky and enchanting is what I'm going for in this level.

now you made me curious to play your game. can you link to it?

Can't sorry, I haven't even cracked the surface yet. However, I am getting through the artwork at a steady pace
  :)

Edit: Each level tells a seperate story through music, I think that's an nice subtle touch for the game so maybe I could weave the level desings to incorporate elemets of the story being told; solve puzzle and open a new area relating to the music, certain areas that are actually part of the story etc.

Edited by madanchi

First things first.  Get a different tileset.

Theres nothing wrong with the one you have going there as part of a larger package, but by itself, its just too simple.  A larger tileset can make or break a game.

Lots of tilesets that are released are just image files requiring you to import the picture, then set up all the passability settings, bush flags, and what not.  I have a couple massive tilesets that are preconfigured.  Import the picture, then open both projects, and copy the tileset from the example database to your game in a new tileset.  For those massive tilesets, just check my sig, it should have almost everything you need.  If all goes well, you can get up and running in less than five minutes.  Importing tilesets by hand (manual database configuration) can take hours or even days depending on the size.

It wont end there.  Next, above all else, you need to become a Master of Layers.  You dont have to keep trees and other decorations limited to just one layer.  This allows you to "stack" your trees.  Bottom half of a tree goes on Layer 2, top half goes on Layer 3.  this looks especially nice when your Tileset allows you a choice of many different trees. 

Music:  Interesting concept.  I feel Music needs to be appropriate for the area, but at the same time, other types of music that dont seem to fit an area could be more useful as a Cutscene, or as a Character Theme song.  Important Characters benefit from getting their own theme music.  Your idea is intriguing and Im looking forward to seeing how you pull it off.

First things first.  Get a different tileset.

Theres nothing wrong with the one you have going there as part of a larger package, but by itself, its just too simple.  A larger tileset can make or break a game.

Lots of tilesets that are released are just image files requiring you to import the picture, then set up all the passability settings, bush flags, and what not.  I have a couple massive tilesets that are preconfigured.  Import the picture, then open both projects, and copy the tileset from the example database to your game in a new tileset.  For those massive tilesets, just check my sig, it should have almost everything you need.  If all goes well, you can get up and running in less than five minutes.  Importing tilesets by hand (manual database configuration) can take hours or even days depending on the size.

It wont end there.  Next, above all else, you need to become a Master of Layers.  You dont have to keep trees and other decorations limited to just one layer.  This allows you to "stack" your trees.  Bottom half of a tree goes on Layer 2, top half goes on Layer 3.  this looks especially nice when your Tileset allows you a choice of many different trees. 

Music:  Interesting concept.  I feel Music needs to be appropriate for the area, but at the same time, other types of music that dont seem to fit an area could be more useful as a Cutscene, or as a Character Theme song.  Important Characters benefit from getting their own theme music.  Your idea is intriguing and Im looking forward to seeing how you pull it off.

Hey thanks for the input, you make some very good points. I know about layering tiles on different layers to gain even more depth and positioning of objects, I just need to get good at it :p Also, I think I'll narrow down the music telling a story for every single room; basically I'll make only a select few rooms have music that tell a story; boss rooms, significant puzzles and so on.

I want to note that I'm moving on from using tilesets and using custom graphics with a different game engine; maybe Unity or something.