New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
zahraa

My Path

Hello guys

Well these days I'm thinking about it so much,i want to follow my dreams and be a professional video game developer,But I have many better opportunities for example I can be a dentist which is a very very well-paid job and as you know game developing doesn't have a very good salary...I know some of you are going to say go for it! Follow your dreams! but hey this is life! I can't be happy since I have to think about my unlimited financial problems.In general a dentist is more impressive than a game developer for people...Also if i lose my interest in game developing then I lose everything but if i choose to be a dentist then i have a good salary to be proud of.

if you know a game developer please tell me about his lifestyle and help me to choose my job I'm so confused :|

It really really depends on your current situation and what life currently demands off you. Being a games developer is a bold choice to make, you should be 95% sure that it is your passion and love for it to be a career, the same can be said about being a video games artist/ designer. Also, remember the amount of time it takes to build up your skills and then actually getting a job to build experience in that area.

If you already have qualifications to be a dentist then I have to advise going down that route, life is horrible and sometimes you need to put aside your not-so-practical dreams to put food on the table. However all that being said, what's more important in life? A job that gets you nice money but being unhappy or not so much pay but being happy, that's the big question here and only you can answer that. For me personally, my career is of a Video Games Designer and the pay is very low for the amount of time and effort you put into it, the reason being is because it is a labour of love, we games artists do it because it is our life and our only true passion.

Keep in mind that it is possible to develop an indie game in your free time whilst being a dentist. This can then develop over many years, from the money you earn/ save from being a dentist could build up to be enough to start your own small independent games company. Heh, who knows :)

That's my insight and I hope it gave you some help.

Edited by madanchi

People in the games industry can make good money dude, just depends on where you are in the field. I hear of dudes making upwards of 300k+ a year. I think deep down inside of you you know what's best for you, and which will help you stay stable in a financial aspect.

300k, seriously??? Well I and others have been told a big fib then. The head tutor at University said it's not that great of wage, I assumed around the £20k-£30k mark, which even then that's very nice in my opinion.

Edit: Just checked your profile Zahraa and if you are truely 15 years of age, then you have LOADS of time to think things through :) It's when you get to around my age (23) and up that you need to start making career choices quick sharpish.

Edited by madanchi

Chick-brooooo no. I had dreams too. Let me tell you something about dreams. Dreams are the DEVIL. If tge question is game dev vs dentist, its a no brainer you should go for dentist. Dentists are highly paid and highly valued members of society. A lot people told me I gotta do what I love doing. Now im a web dev with a law degree because I chose money. I might hate being a lawyer or be terrible at it (my parents' bet) but I did it because I didnt want to struggle through life being poor. Actually I think being a lawyer will exacerbate my death. But anyway if you're going to miserable then its not worth it. Are you sure you will enjoy making games in a team? I'm not sure whether humans are supposed to be happy or suppised to survive. I guess its best to balance. My parents think no one can possibly have an interest in law. Bleh. That was very ambiguous advice...

Edit: Just checked your profile Zahraa and if you are truely 15 years of age, then you have LOADS of time to think things through :) It's when you get to around my age (23) and up that you need to start making career choices quick sharpish.

Yes I'm 15 and I have only 5 months to decide,it's because of special education system in my country...

Anyway guys what i got from your words is that I should be a dentist,It's what my family said too.Even if it breaks my heart i have to accept it. :cry:

300k, seriously??? Well I and others have been told a big fib then. The head tutor at University said it's not that great of wage, I assumed around the £20k-£30k mark, which even then that's very nice in my opinion.

30k?!!! I thought It's $72k :shock:

Since I can't leave game developing forever,I guess I'll do it beside being a dentist.

Thank you for your advises.Waiting for more from other guys...

I love computers more than anything in the world so im doing what i love and is going to college to learn more about computers and hopefully get a job working with computers(doesnt matter how). I know computers inside and out(software and hardware) so finding a job for what i love shouldnt be a problem.

You could always go to college for game design and who knows if you do good at it in college you may get hired right out of college after you finish. Most colleges have programs that will help you find a job in your field of study.

I choosed to be a game developer because I love art. And video games is a fantastic representation of art.

Lets say that I like literature I like to read stories that are out of this world. Emotional stories.

Of course I can create my own stories using a pen and paper. I can be a story writer for books.

But I as a kid I saw that video games can have interactive story with of course epic music, sound, atmosphere, etc..

while we live we will make choices. And many of those choices are difficult to choose.

I choosed to be a game developer because it's worth it. I don't care about the money. I care about making video games look like an art.

I choosed to be a game developer because I love art. And video games is a fantastic representation of art.

Lets say that I like literature I like to read stories that are out of this world. Emotional stories.

Of course I can create my own stories using a pen and paper. I can be a story writer for books.

But I as a kid I saw that video games can have interactive story with of course epic music, sound, atmosphere, etc..

while we live we will make choices. And many of those choices are difficult to choose.

I choosed to be a game developer because it's worth it. I don't care about the money. I care about making video games look like an art.

YES!!! This is exactly what makes me love game developing!

But can you live easily with money that you make? When you have a family then can you make a comfort life for your child and your wife? (idk if you have one now)

Look at some of those indie devs. If you make 1 game that is decent you can make millions off of it. Minecraft started with like 3 people and has made upwards of $30 million. Look at flappy birds(no longer around). Made by 1 person and he was making $5000 a day, that's about 1,800,000 a year.

So if you you want to stick with game development and you do it right you can make millions no problem at all. Only hard part is trying to make a game where you have rights to all the stuff. If using RPG Maker only time you can make a commercial game with other peoples resources is if they give you permission to or state that it can be used. Chances are that you wont be able to use them in a commercial game.

So if anyone tells you that you cant make much money through game design they are wrong. It all boils down to how dedicated you are and if you can make a game people will enjoy. Just dont expect to make an awesome game in less than a year. Game dev takes time and the best time to do it is before you become an adult.

Look at some of those indie devs. If you make 1 game that is decent you can make millions off of it. Minecraft started with like 3 people and has made upwards of $30 million. Look at flappy birds(no longer around). Made by 1 person and he was making $5000 a day, that's about 1,800,000 a year.

So if you you want to stick with game development and you do it right you can make millions no problem at all. Only hard part is trying to make a game where you have rights to all the stuff. If using RPG Maker only time you can make a commercial game with other peoples resources is if they give you permission to or state that it can be used. Chances are that you wont be able to use them in a commercial game.

So if anyone tells you that you cant make much money through game design they are wrong. It all boils down to how dedicated you are and if you can make a game people will enjoy. Just dont expect to make an awesome game in less than a year. Game dev takes time and the best time to do it is before you become an adult.

That's going off if you go solo/ indie, if you decide to go for Game Developer than I think picking the correct University is the most important decision; the right one preferrably should have a good job turnover rater after graduation, the necessary skills being taught are relevant to the current industry standards and as an extra put you in touch with contacts within the industry and maybe offer an actual chance to work in that sector as part of your studies.

Within the games industry money seems to vary quite a lot, programmers for example get paid a lot of money compared to a Games Artist and a Concept Artist compared to a Games Designer etc. Personally I think earning even £20k a year is a really nice life, depending on where you're going to live in your country; take Oxford for example in the UK or London, prices there you are sure to need a high paying job, so £20K might just get you by but not be living the sweet life.

Edited by madanchi

If i try to make a company myself then i'm accepting a high risk.What if I put 3 years to make a game then i get a little money?I was thinking about working for a company,it is a safe way.For example working in EA...Do you know how much is the salary?

zahraa.

I will like to tell you about the persons who founded BioWare. The founders of BioWare are doctors. They are medics who got interested in gaming industry. They have medical degrees and they can work in hospitals. As always you have the choice to pick your own path. You don't really need feedback or help in making your choice because at the end you will have to choose not matter what the cost

If you choose to become a Dentist you still have the possibility of becoming a game developer. In the end it's is your choice, don't limit yourself about not becoming a game developer. I've seen people that have a Degree of their profession and thus are not following the determined path they have to follow.

so don't worry about choosing correctly. This is your path and you have full control of it.

if you become a dentist, please be gentle ;)

I won't tell you what to choose, cause I think the only one who can answer this question is you. whatever path you choose, work hard on it and become the best :)

Edited by Metaclaw

zahraa.

I will like to tell you about the persons who founded BioWare. The founders of BioWare are doctors. They are medics who got interested in gaming industry. They have medical degrees and they can work in hospitals. As always you have the choice to pick your own path. You don't really need feedback or help in making your choice because at the end you will have to choose not matter what the cost

If you choose to become a Dentist you still have the possibility of becoming a game developer. In the end it's is your choice, don't limit yourself about not becoming a game developer. I've seen people that have a Degree of their profession and thus are not following the determined path they have to follow.

so don't worry about choosing correctly. This is your path and you have full control of it.

Really? It sounds really great...But I'm not sure if I can have both cause then I have to work all the time and can't get as professional as I want in both careers,you know.I should choose a job and put a lot of effort and hard work on it to reach a professional level.

I won't tell you what to choose, cause I think the only one who can answer this question is you. whatever path you choose, work hard on it and become the best :)

I don't want you to choose for me.I'm asking you to tell me about your experience and tell me what you'll choose and your reasons about it. :)