New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Alex Tingle

Scripting a change of form skill with common events.

Question

Okay so first things first. I'm making a lovable parody/homage of older rpgs. It's not a serious game in the slightest. I'm still working on the plot, before I make the full game, and that's coming along swimmingly. My problem lies within a certain skill one of my characters- the silent strong man, unleashes to bring forth a demonic force. This causes no issue.

In the common events tab I have this event labeled as Demonize, and the event is as follows:

@>Text: Unholy power bursts forth!

@>Change Party Member: Remove [Golia]

@>Change Party Member: Add [Golia EX], Initialize

@>Control Switches: [0001: Demon] = ON

@>

I have this worked out, as I tied it to a skill the character has. As such I have a reversal common event for when in demon form called Humanize:

@>Change Party Member: Remove [Golia EX]

@>Change Party Member: Add [Golia], Initialize

@>Control Switches: [0001: Demon] = OFF

@>

This works for me, what I don't know how to figure out is the following. At the end of a battle I want the game to check if you are still in demon form, if you are I want it to force you back into human form. I can't figure this out and as such every time a battle ends, I no longer have my character. This would be fine generally, but his stats are extremely boosted in the demon form, and I don't want that always accessible to the players. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Alex Tingle

5 answers to this question

excuse me. . . Ahm. . . I am also using RPG Maker XP
i tried examining my game to see if I can help with your problem. . .
and I think it is better for you to create a state called Demonize. . .
then create a skill that will trigger that state. . .
because in the states column of the database
there is a selection there for the release condition of the state or in your case,

the skill. . .

I hope you try this and tell me what happens. . . :)

you could actually use a common event. Set it to parallel and activate on the switch [0001: Demon] = ON like you have and set the script in it.

I would also remove the Initialize from the add command. Initialize resets the character to the default level you set when the game first starts. If you want them to gain any experience or keep their levels you need to turn that feature off.

kazeshi--

this would work, but (as I realize I forgot to mention) I have the character change entirely (you are given amazing skills), it's honestly like summoning an aeon in Final Fantasy X. If it comes to it though, I'll follow your advice for the time being.

dolarmak--

Thanks for the tidbit on not initializing, I want the demonized version of the character to level separately so this should help immensely. Now my next question, I've noticed that the demon form is still not locked away at the end of battles. Should I place the humanize event onto every map then, or is there a less tedious way (I'm fine doing this, I'm just curious).

I'm not sure what you mean by locked away? If the demon is still in party then the common event should remove it like I explained in the first part. The common event is located in the game database. This should activate any time the switch is activated regardless of which map you are in.

Thank you dolarmak I had misunderstood. I had applied your advice to the demonize event, but once I applied it to the humanize event it worked out. Thank you. I will now try closing this thread, and if I can't I will edit this last reply.Okay it seems I failed in my endeavor (thus the strike-through) so I am going to ask if/how someone can close this thread.

Edited by Alex Tingle