New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Saltome

Let us reimagine GDU.

Well I tried to keep the conversation summerized in the beginning, but that only led to my posts getting ignored.

The way I see it everyone is looking for what's gonna benefit THEM the most.

The old members want features that will make it easier for them to spread their projects about.

The new members want features that will help them complete their games.

Nobody besides me is suggesting anything that will attract freelancers.

And without the freelancers our current problem will not get resolved, so all the other features are premature.

The ideas that have been introduced aren't bad, they just won't have much effect in our situation.

And since the conversation has luled again, I figure it's time to push my ideas through.

If anyone has anything against them they should speak, if not we should get working on a concrete plan.

I know Mark wanted to leave it up to us, but I can see that the weight of his word helps us focus our ideas in a single direction.

That's why I'm asking for his interference.

Salty. As I came here to post, I searched for you idea that you referred and that I interfere with. I came to post my own idea because I can only do so between periods of procrastination, because I have a lot of work to get through. But how odd, your idea is the same as mine :)

Actually project management was intended to be a fundamental part of the games section and was always in my original plan. But my first revisions of the game pages were poor and misguided and required iterations (and I think I can get it right with any additional work I do on the front-end part of the games page).  

While I'm taking a break from my work, my mind is telling me that a project management system checks all the boxes where the other's do not. 

• Salty is absolutely right about if I don't have to talk to anyone, I'm gonna take it and run. Content is needed to get the traffic needed to sustain activity for a community-powered system. 
  • Activity and growth is the goal. It doesn't matter why you're here, it only matters that you are, and you're coming back tomorrow 
  • Content & activity is ancillary to the reason you're here. It's a byproduct, but will cause incremental growth. 
  • A project management system that is aimed at game development is unique, it will help games get built, it will attract developers, it can be used be a lone developer for productivity or groups for team management, it will inspire collaboration and open the door for all levels of game developers to do so with people from all of the world. 
  • It will integrate into the existing games section to provide a single base for game development communications: from teamwork, collaboration and project management directly to your fans and followers. 

Sorry I didn't read the other posts :( Anything important? :) Not sure if those walls of texts have more words than the great wall of china has bricks.  

Hey Mark!

I'd like to suggest something. Would like to suggest a Live streaming feature on GDU. Not very useful and not that necessary but i thought it would be a good idea in my opinion. Here check it out, it's pure game development http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Game%20Development

Hey Mark!

I'd like to suggest something. Would like to suggest a Live streaming feature on GDU. Not very useful and not that necessary but i thought it would be a good idea in my opinion. Here check it out, it's pure game development http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Game%20Development

Hey, Omar, how do you think a livestream feature will work on GDU? It sounds to me like it'll take a lot of time to create, and also I'm not sure if it'll be efficient for the page? I use livestream to stream, and the software for that seems it would be really complicated to make. Twitch.tv itself is a site dedicated entirely to streaming. Seeing as GDU isn't, I feel as if it'd be difficult to incooperate that.

But I don't know much about streaming in general... not sure how it would work XP

I have said for years that this forum should restart fresh. The site's current structure is perfect.  I love the Games, Resources, Tutorials, and Engines sections. Those do not need to change. We need a fresh forum with a new staff, who want to lead this place. 

Hey, Omar, how do you think a livestream feature will work on GDU? It sounds to me like it'll take a lot of time to create, and also I'm not sure if it'll be efficient for the page? I use livestream to stream, and the software for that seems it would be really complicated to make. Twitch.tv itself is a site dedicated entirely to streaming. Seeing as GDU isn't, I feel as if it'd be difficult to incooperate that.

But I don't know much about streaming in general... not sure how it would work XP

Hey, Kitsuki

That message was for Marked. Not for you, BANNED.

I have said for years that this forum should restart fresh. The site's current structure is perfect.  I love the Games, Resources, Tutorials, and Engines sections. Those do not need to change. We need a fresh forum with a new staff, who want to lead this place. 

Ohh, a new staff! I never thought about that... Marked is super busy, so I'm not sure how the updates will come along, but a new staff that's energetic and motivated will really give this place some activity, I think.

Hey, Kitsuki

That message was for Marked. Not for you, BANNED.

giphy.gif

I agree with you with half of the post franklin. I don't think a "new" staff is necessary until Mark really needs new members onto the staff.

It's not that the Moderators hate to be part of the community, it's just that they can't really be on here reading all our messages mostly because they're game developers and human beings.

The fixing and tweaks will have to wait, until Mark gets some web programmers talented as him. May take a while though...

I agree with you with half of the post franklin. I don't think a "new" staff is necessary until Mark really needs new members onto the staff.

It's not that the Moderators hate to be part of the community, it's just that they can't really be on here reading all our messages mostly because they're game developers and human beings.

The fixing and tweaks will have to wait, until Mark gets some web programmers talented as him. May take a while though...

I know it's not that the mods don't want to be taking part in the community, but it's a small community that it'd be nice if mod presences were stronger, anyway. P: That's just my opinion... in a large community I don't mind if mods aren't so obviously there, because understandably they have a lot more to do. But I always feel like we're stronger and more close-knit when Mark posts or takes part in conversation, for example.

I know it's not that the mods don't want to be taking part in the community, but it's a small community that it'd be nice if mod presences were stronger, anyway. P: That's just my opinion... in a large community I don't mind if mods aren't so obviously there, because understandably they have a lot more to do. But I always feel like we're stronger and more close-knit when Mark posts or takes part in conversation, for example.

I'm a former GDU moderator. AREN'T YOU ENTERTAINED?!

But you do have a point there. Maybe we need Bob and Polraudio here, but remember one thing Kit. We don't need Staff members because we are the staff members for this community. :)

Guys. I'm loving the ideas. 

• 1. Delete the forums and start again
  • 2. Usurp mark and replace him with someone better 

Yeah Franklin, you've been saying that for years :) I know that. But I'd like you to say a bit more, for example why you think this is a solution. I know new websites can generate huge short-term hype. Then they all die. Even the giants have succumbed. 

@Omar: you also need to elaborate on the streaming. This topic is more for major changes to the site, not side-features. 

I am the symbolic leader, although retiring. But I am willing to develop other people's ideas. The site has always been driven by its users, not me of course. 

I like the idea about getting some new blood on the staff. My preference would be that they are actively developing and making games, but I think most of you are. Any volunteers? 

I'm a former GDU moderator. AREN'T YOU ENTERTAINED?!

But you do have a point there. Maybe we need Bob and Polraudio here, but remember one thing Kit. We don't need Staff members because we are the staff members for this community. :)

I am very entertained ;)

I realise this, since it's up to us to maintain this community and keep it alive, but the title of "moderator" and having that around makes it feel more established, like there's something keeping it going. I hope that makes sense to someone other than me P: I understand that for example, in a democracy, it's the people who make the decisions. But the leaders are there to keep it running, and even for a small group I feel there's more security and a sense of unity when the "leaders" of the forum or site are there. :)

You like these ideas, Mark? Wow, I was so worried you wouldn't agree with them...  :excited: now we can carry on with these plans knowing that you love them.

I like the idea about getting some new blood on the staff. My preference would be that they are actively developing and making games, but I think most of you are. Any volunteers? 

I would like to volunteer but I know absolutely nothing about actual, real, honest-to-God game dev that doesn't happen in RPG Maker. I know no coding... And I'd scare away new devs with my Great Walls of Text. ;)

Edited by Kitsuki

I wonder... what exactly defines member activity?

Well... in light of our goal of helping people develop games.

We are gonna need new ways of measuring value.

This is where the points system comes in, I guess.

It creates common measuring means.

But that's rather secondary.

First the foundation, I wonder would it be unrealistic to create a stand alone application, like Steam? I suppose so.

The website will have to do. But rather than developing web based tools for freelancers to create content with, perhaps we should find a way to encorporate the ones that already exist. By running an executable for example.

Our system should only be concerned with providing organization, of the tools which people use. Otherwise we are gonna end up in a race situation against people who have been doing for years what we are just starting.

Okay, I'm a random guy who wants to be a game developer.

I will try to get a team together, but I will get ignored because I haven't proven myself.

Then I will try to join a team, but I will get rejected because I don't know how to do anything.

.What is our solution?

Well, we want a social oriented system.which uses the advantages of a website.

I guess this is where we can explore the possibility of a tutoring system.

...But we are jumping ahead-- We have no people to take the necessary roles.

I guess we can try creating a centralized tutorial, as opposed to having countless random totorials, of uncertain quality.

The part that requires web development is organizing the list of tutorials. How about something like a "research tree"?

Where all the tutorials are organized in a draggable research tree, you have to go through the tutorials in order, unlocking them bit by bit.

Each lesson can give you GDU points, enable more tutorials and give you a custom title.

Yeah Franklin, you've been saying that for years :) I know that. But I'd like you to say a bit more, for example why you think this is a solution. I know new websites can generate huge short-term hype. Then they all die. Even the giants have succumbed. 

The forum needs many changes. There are many sections that are dead, cluttered, and unnecessary. We don't need tutorials listed in the forum when their links are on top of the page. We have so many dead members here that we should start fresh with our current members and build from there. Delete the dead accounts and keep members who are active and have game pages. 

This site looks dead to most visitors because most members are inactive and very few people post each day. We need to build off of active members posting and advertising on Social Media. We need a new staff member to take over the social media sites. Hell I would love to be that person. I use Twitter and Facebook to build my blog's audience. Reddit is a great place as well for us.