New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
DustyZiroto

Hopes for the next RPG Maker?

So there's a new RPG Maker coming soon, and I'm curious what people who use RPG Maker hope for.

I'm hoping for it to have 3d capability. I think it would be cool to make 3d RPG Maker games. I love sprites and all, but a 3D RPG Maker would be phenomenal.

If that would be the case, I'd put down 74.99$ for it without hesitation. What do you guys hope for the next RPG Maker?

IDK $74.99 is alot for an engine when you can get unity for free and buy assets that will make game creation easy.

But yea id love a 3d rpg maker. Only downside will be finding assets for it tho because i bet lots of people will charge for the models and stuff. Making 3d models isnt as easy as making sprites.

Personally id like to see something like XP but with all the features added from the previous and later rpg makers.

74.99$ for it without hesitation

Haha, no, I wouldn't spend that much for an RPG Maker when I can do perfectly good things with RPG Maker XP... but that's me, and I'm a cheapskate. I like XP as it is, to be honest. The only thing I'd hope for, like Pol said, is that it has the capability and improvements of the other engines. In my opinion, Ace graphics/mapping aren't all that great. So the graphics and maps of RMXP combined with the Ace engine's versatility? Yes, please. 

Enterbrain and RPG Maker community. If there's ever an RPG Maker with these features, please make resources for it. My problem with Ace is that there's not as many resources as with XP. Though I'm planning to move away from RPG Maker soon, anyway.

Where'd you hear about this new RPG Maker, anywho?

I feel like rumors of a new RPG Maker are just some constant fact of the universe. They are always there. Always. Like a lack of HL3. It cannot and will not ever exist in any universe. It is physically impossible for Valve to make a 3rd game in any series. That's just now the universe works.

And RPG Maker will continue to disappoint people and cost way too much. Every new engine will have features that make it partially better than the last, but at the same time, not nearly as good as it could be and have features that make it terrible to people who are used to whatever came before it.

...Or maybe I'm just really pessimistic when it comes to Enterbrain. I have high hopes, but very very low expectations.

If the next RPG Maker has...

- ways of customizing the battle system somehow, allowing for normal turn based side-view, ATB, AP based, tactical, and ABS battle systems

- The mapping of XP with infinite (or at least a big number of) layers

- Most of the features VX Ace has, mainly the things involving items, skills, world maps, and vehicals

- Lots of pre-made sprites and faces for characters and enemies

- A customizable message box system similar to ccoa's UMS

- An AI system for NPCs

- An area-based event system similar to how triggers work in Unity

- Resolution options

- 2 sprite styles: chibi(VX) and non-chibi(XP)

- Hue options for icons

- XP's icon system, but with the number of icons that VX Ace has or more.

- Graphics styles for various settings (medieval/renaissance, modern, sci-fi, etc.)

...Then I'd pay maybe $50 for it. I don't mind something that good costing money just because a lot of the work is done for you, but XP, VX, and VX Ace are very overpriced for how limited they are and how lazy Enterbrain was when making them.

If its the features of VX Ace and XP that everyone loves combined, Id want it :) Well, i basically just want to make face sets and such but in the xp engine tho :)

I still use RPG MAKER. It's a decent engine, but it's very outdated these days. Learning an engine is fun. I have been using Unity before Polraudio here. However my lack of knowledge in coding kept me away from it until now.  Enterbrain needs to see the Western Industry a bit better now. As it has grown more over the pass days. They are facing competition like Unreal 4 and Unity. They should learn that people want these "x" features implemented in-engine.

RPG MAKER Is a easy engine to use, due to many things being implemented for of course an "RPG" Maybe in the near future we will get some features we all wanted, if we don't that's fine because we always have different and engines we can experiment on...

So, this recent talk about the new RPG Maker are probably caused by a hint placed in RM2K3 trailer video. The hint suggest that in there's gonna be a new product that's gonna be released in the middle of 2015, which means around this time.

A new maker is announced 2 days ago by Degica (The one who published RMVXA) on Steam. It's called GG Maker. However, looks like it has no connection to Enterbrain (The one who develop RPG Maker in general), so I'm not sure if this is the one that's hinted by the trailer, or it just a mere coincidence.

Here's a link to the maker in question :

store.steampowered.com/app/347400/

Edited by black mage

I don't think the RM community would do well with a 3D game maker. I mean, wouldn't they be forced to learn so much game development that they'd have to learn that there's better alternatives to making 3D games? 

I think RPG Maker's success is based around the simplicity of the game making process and the style of games. I can't see that changing, so my money is on more of the same. Which is fine. I guess it'd be interesting to see what they'll come out with next. 

Here's a link to the maker in question :

store.steampowered.com/app/347400/

Thanks for the info, Mage! Although this doesn't look too different from RPG Maker. It seems like it has some other features (that 2D platformer stuff), but nothing landed too far from the tree.

I don't think the RM community would do well with a 3D game maker. I mean, wouldn't they be forced to learn so much game development that they'd have to learn that there's better alternatives to making 3D games? 

I think RPG Maker's success is based around the simplicity of the game making process and the style of games. I can't see that changing, so my money is on more of the same. Which is fine. I guess it'd be interesting to see what they'll come out with next. 

I pretty much agree with this. I was pulled into the RPG Maker series because of the simplicity and style of games like Ib, The Witch's House, Mogeko Castle. I like 3D games, but I've never been too drawn towards making them... mostly because it would take a lot more work and investing of my time and effort. Maybe I'll move into Unity, but even a 3D RPG Maker would take considerably more investment to create a decent game. :P

With 2D games, if you try even a little bit, maybe chuck some story/mildly decent writing in there, you can make something pretty okay.

With 2D games, if you try even a little bit, maybe chuck some story/mildly decent writing in there, you can make something pretty okay.

That's what I love about RPG Maker, but over time I realized I didn't want to just make something that's "pretty okay." I want to make something that's freaking awesome. That's why I started using Unity. What I want to is just too big for RPG Maker...I think I do want to try and get back into rmxp though and try to really learn rgss so I can actually get started on Eltoria. The first game is going to be simple enough for it I think. The other two though...probably not.

I'd love to see some good modern or sci-fi style tilesets in the style of rmxp (haven't seen anything I like). Then I MIGHT be able to do the other two games.

That's what I love about RPG Maker, but over time I realized I didn't want to just make something that's "pretty okay." I want to make something that's freaking awesome. That's why I started using Unity. What I want to is just too big for RPG Maker...I think I do want to try and get back into rmxp though and try to really learn rgss so I can actually get started on Eltoria. 

The only thing keeping me stuck in the RPG Maker scene is Insanitalia. That damn thing eats up hours of time, I swear half the day I spend on it I could spend studying or something.

RPG Maker a program is to make things quick and easy, but when you wanna make something with substance that takes more than just a "plug and play" sort of process to make, RM gets boring. Fast.

Don't get me wrong, RPG Maker is good to hone your skills when it comes to making a game. Not making the actual game--more like getting an idea of an idea of a game. It's cool how to effectively introduce plot and such, or how to pace a game. But it teaches you nothing (or very little) when it comes to actual game dev, unless you want to spend the time learning RGSS.

I've been an RMXP-only user for two years now. Put me in a room with Unity for 72 hours. 72 hours later, I'd probably still have no idea how to use the damn thing. :P

If a new RPG Maker came out, I wouldn't buy it. When you know one engine, you pretty much know most of the rest... I could easily pick up Ace after a couple hours. I don't see the point of purchasing something that doesn't have many new features, or will save you a lot of time or something.

It's kind of like the person who buys a perfectly good phone then throws it out and buys the next one when the last one is working perfectly. Why throw away something that's totally functional? 

maybe I'm the only cheapskate here, pardon the rant.

Edited by Kitsuki