New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

RPG Maker MV capable of creating MMOs?

With the change to javascript in RM and the possibility to port to HTML5, it seems that this RPG Maker is the most likely to be achieve MMO functionality. It has been attempted in the past, but I believe that was largely unsuccessful. 

Javascript isn't traditionally a good fit for game development, but clearly is the right direction in terms of portability of games across a huge number of devices. 

Would you guys like to see a RPG Maker MMO? Would you play it? If there was a dev kit, would you develop one? What about a GDU MMO group project?

Any group project would be hard to pull off but id love to see an rpg maker MMO WITHOUT an action based battle system. It would be awesome to have the normal side view turn based battle system in an mmo with skilling options(like runescape).

I would prob try to make an MMO since most MMO's now days suck balls and are all the same. Get this, kill x amount of this, deliver this to this person. Lots of towns/areas locked till you get to a certain level or finish quests. That formula is getting annoying in all MMO's(the reason i like runescape is because its unique and avoids stuff like that).

MMO's need to give the player more freedom instead of locking content away behind a huge quest wall.

Back on topic:

I would probably be easier to make an MMO with MV that it is for XP/VX/VXA since MV seems to be more open to scripting now. Then again it all depends how much you can change through scripting.

With the ability to port to HTML 5 id LOVE to see a web based MMO.

EDIT: 100% of my scripts for unity are JS so im really excited to try lots of things in MV.

I'm going to try to build an HTML5 MMO with MV. 

I'm not sure, but I think a community-build MMO would be easier to create than a normal project. Because... you can shoot it up live and have changes in effect immediately and played immediately but anyone. If there were to be a group project MMO, I would create a base to work from because as this community knows, getting past the planning stage is nearly impossible. I think the best way forward is for a single developer to create a premise and allow the community to contribute. 

Anyway, just crazy ideas at this stage but I'm looking forward to messing around with the code. 

I'm going to try to build an HTML5 MMO with MV. 

I'm not sure, but I think a community-build MMO would be easier to create than a normal project. Because... you can shoot it up live and have changes in effect immediately and played immediately but anyone. If there were to be a group project MMO, I would create a base to work from because as this community knows, getting past the planning stage is nearly impossible. I think the best way forward is for a single developer to create a premise and allow the community to contribute. 

Anyway, just crazy ideas at this stage but I'm looking forward to messing around with the code. 

I would be a great idea but like most game development you'd need at least 1 or 2 people super dedicated to making it and these days people are really working on their own projects.

a turn based MMO would be fun, might take some working to get it going tho

I would be a great idea but like most game development you'd need at least 1 or 2 people super dedicated to making it and these days people are really working on their own projects.

Any community project isn't a great idea so I agree there would always need to be 1 or 2 core devs. But anyway, the main thing I want to achieve is first of all developing the functionality.

I have other days about how to utilize these technology that aren't strictly a game :) 

JAVASCRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPT

MY LOVE <3

Real talk now

I know javascript isn't super "gamer" friendly but I understand that the change will make it a hell of a lot easier for people who code for other reasons, think about unity. it doesn't have ruby, it has javascript boo and c#. two of which are popular and are used more widely. If a unity developer wanted to code in something like this, it would really be beneficial with this feature. So yea UNITY FTW.

That is all, i shall move on now

...Yeah. I was thinking about that last night. When I get a bit more free time I'm going to write some basic functionality, mainly because messing with this type of stuff is really fun for me. 

The first step is to have multiple users on a map, and movements and interactions happen in real time. That alone would be really cool, especially the real-time movements. But then I got to thinking... is an MMO project really worth it if I have to code a battle system? Which I have desire let alone time to do. But actually... when I think about it... I can just have each instance of every hero/account (ie you guys) as enemy objects in the system. That way, battles can run as normal for any custom battle system. The only problem is waiting for turns, which requires direct modifications to any battle system. Damn... anyway. I'm pretty excited to have a real-time world exist for GDU members. Maybe gold in-game can reflect points on the site????? The possibilities are endless :)

Anything's possible. As for the MMO, we'll look at it once I've got the live interactions going. Once there's a system in place for real-time swapping of variables, then the rest should be more simple. I'm not sure yet how any battle system will work with MMO functionality. The most likely is that there will need to be a fully custom plugin or modified plugin. The very best and ideal situation would be to modify only specific functions of a certain battle system to allow the battle system to wait for the enemies command (the other guy, fighting you).