New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

RPG Maker MV Released: Direct Download here

b78a624bc92df35cb1bddf120d8f5438.png

RPG Maker MV is now on the market. 

Find your direct download here: http://www.gdunlimited.net/engines/rpg-maker-mv (20-day trial) to take it for a test spin. 

Feel free to leave your first impressions and reviews here in this topic. 

My first impressions: 

• I'm really liking the click functionality, especially clicking on an area of the map and the hero(s) running there. 
  • There is no option to deploy to HTML5... still not sure how to do that (EDIT: deploying as windows will give you the files to deploy to HTML5)
  • You cannot edit the default JS scripts in the program. For that you need your IDE, which I think is great because programmers can develop in an environment they're familiar with and with proper tools. I recommend netbeans IDE for Windows and Coda 2 for Mac: 
  • 93522472ed207a6fd1dc37f9137be3b7.png
  • I think the character generator is going to help a ton of games. Because there are side-view battlers, now amateur devs can progress with their games without complaining about a lack of resources. At least to some extent. 
  • The output folder is huge. Deploying to windows gives you a 400mb+ folder. The exe file alone is 45MB!
  • MV is a website???????
  • b1d4548b9233fc34c8824f547fecf05f.png
  • This image shows that the in-game is constructed using HTML5 elements. This is both exciting and interesting... exciting best webdev is my jam... concerning because, is this really a good way to create computer games in 2015? Or maybe this truly is the latest and greatest technology, showing how important browsers and the internet have become. Thoughts? 
  • Press f8 to bring up the debugging tools. This is excellent for dev. In js, you can use this 
  • console.log(myVar)
  • and the value will come up in the little debugger here under the console tab, just like developing the front-end of a website. 

For you early-bird devs, content sections are now up:

ohhhh so thats how you do the console log. I was thinking it was print still....then a printer window came up lol.

If you want to run pieces of code at runtime heres how you would do that.

LD8fkMc.png

I personally use Atom for all my scripting needs. Its got a clean, simple, and minimalistic look.

R05ogAg.png

I have to say $80 for an engine... Still not worth it.
There's engine that offer more than this. Unity and Unreal 4 are free for everyone to use.

Honestly, with the way the ui looks in the trial, and the fact that in the trial i didnt get the plug ins i most wanted to test , i can honeslty say i wont e paying 80 usd for this , not when i can use unity for free and still make the games i want just fine, even if it does take me a bit longer .now if i was able to pick this up cheaper, then yeah i probally would get it , just to have it .

I have to say $80 for an engine... Still not worth it.

There's engine that offer more than this. Unity and Unreal 4 are free for everyone to use.

I agree that 80$ is a lot considering that the others have more to offer and are free. But some people will pay for it cause just looking quickly i can see how to a beginning/young game designer this is easier than unity or unreal 4. This requires a lot less programming and ability to make a game with just as the RPG Maker series always has.

anyway just from quickly testing and looking at it I like the character/sprite maker they added. This feature alone will get a lot of newer people into it.

I like that they added/remade a few new core features. The in game caterpillar and event search are great to be brought back and the side view battle system is nice and clean. I'll test it a bit more and see what else there is to it.

PS: Since I've had a little more time to look at this i have to say just as i despise the mapping/layering in VX/Ace, I also hate it in MV. I much preferred the old layer system used in the older versions like XP and 2003. That isn't a deal breaker however.

I like how they added the "Batch Entry" for dialog text, so if you have a character ramble off for a while you can just keep writing/pastee the whole block in the box and it will separate them itself into 4 line blocks.Also the preview option for the text is also great this way you can space things out properly if you have the need.

The Quick Events tab to make Doors, Teleports, Inns and Chests is useful too. Save you a little bit of time when doing that sort of stuff, but you can always enter the event and edit it. 

There is a Shade Brush. this feature is neat, it makes a 24x24 shaded square on the ground layer and since it's 1/4 the size of the tiles you can make a few different shapes or make the shadow thinner looking. Unfortunately you can only do squares, a 90 degree triangle would have also been useful since the base tileset does have some triangular shades in it's set. 

Side battle system is clean and looks nice, it's a bit limited (i was spoiled with Takentai Side View Battle System and all it's features) but for beginners the battle system is nice. 

Finally the last thing i want to talk about is the party system. Before (cant remember if this was a VX/Ace but was definitely in XP) the base system only accommodated 4 actors in the team at once. MV now lets you have as many actors in the party as you want, and you can switch them in the base menu system. There is no option for switching team members mid battle however and if your chosen group dies you get game over.

Edited by dolarmak