New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

Now is the time to complain

Hi all 

Tomorrow afternoon I finish my last exam, and as always there's a little build up on my dev server in the waiting. In additional to the MMO project, there's also several things I want to do across the site. Many of that will be design tweaks, game section features and tidying up things.

So now is your chance to complain about something you don't like about the site... because I will have some time to fix stuff up. :)

List

• mobile 
  • edit quotes 
  • GIF PROFILE PICTURES
  • This still happens when I try to edit a comment I made in the scripts section.can't reproduce
  • any words on the buttons  at the bottom of each comment. 
  • when you use the quick uploader, it is fine the first time around, but if you click outside the box it gives you to upload, then click the quick uploader a second time while on the same page, it doesn't work.

The mobile part of the site is glitchy as hell and is hard to navigate through without clicking the wrong link. Every second the page moves.

Give me the ability to edit quotes instead of just deleting them and make the delete button reload the quotes page instead of redirecting to a creepy anime doll thing?

How the hell do you find that thing, anyway lol. Did you have it saved, or would I find some weird search history if I checked your computer? :P

Oh wait Marked, I need this..........

ANIMATED/GIF PROFILE PICTURES/ICONS

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH! This still happens when I try to edit a comment I made in the scripts section.

WE1iV33.png

Editing still works, but when I click save, it doesn't redirect correctly.

Um...I don't see a download button. Is this your fault, or Mark's? I can never tell with this stuff honestly...

:upset:

Gauging from this topic, there's no major errors on this site according to you guys. Considering the circumstances, please be impressed. Maybe you will be once you start your ComSci, and then get a job or 2, and then get a few more degrees.

Hey, I am impressed. I just don't say it all the time. This is a time for complaining, you said it yourself :P

And honestly, I may be just used to how things were when I first got here. The site was only a couple years old I think and you still seemed a little nooby relative to how you are now. Especially considering I think you borrowed a lot of code before...?

:>

I suppose that's accurate. I guess you could describe it as borrowing code. Before, we were using two softwares: the forums, and a joomla CMS. I've rewritten most of what we had in the joomla cms. It's opensource software so I guess you could say it's borrowed in the sense I didn't write it :P That's where I started though; writing little apps in joomla. 

In retrospect, I would have done things a lot differently from a web dev's persecptive. Oh well. You gotta learn somehow :) 

How come there isn't any words on the buttons  at the bottom of each comment. 

I never really thought of that as a problem, because when you hover over the button(s) for like, 2 seconds, it tells you what it is.

just dropping in for the first time in ages to complain about lack of GIF profile pics 

:}

This is the wrong place for this probably, but could there be a way we could make those supporter banner I see everywhere within the site instead of using an outside source?  I see them on a lot of people's signatures but I can't figure out how to make them.

Found something, when you use the quick uploader, it is fine the first time around, but if you click outside the box it gives you to upload, then click the quick uploader a second time while on the same page, it doesn't work. So that's a thing that can be fixed.

I've always wondered that myself. I'll look into it. It must be a chrome thing because it works in FF. 

Oh you are right. I rarely use firefox, which is why I didn't notice. Well then it's a chrome issue then.

I actually looked at the Latest Activity section earlier and did a flip because damn, that's a lot of scripts inundating the updates. I figure, new scripts are already posted in the Scripts section--would it be possible to filter out the newly-posted scripts from the Latest Activity section?

Maybe the scripts should show up in Latest Activity only when there's a comment on it or something, because to me it seems repetitive to have the same posts flooding both update sections.

Sounds like you're working hard, Mark. Keep it up!

(Btw, it's been at the back of my mind. But I never heard if you got that job you interviewed for some months ago--I remember you just said the interview went well. But I hope you got the job and some more rest nowadays. Especially if you're making all these design changes.)

(Btw, it's been at the back of my mind. But I never heard if you got that job you interviewed for some months ago--I remember you just said the interview went well. But I hope you got the job and some more rest nowadays. Especially if you're making all these design changes.)

Wow, good memory. It came down to 3 of us, and unfortunately I didn't get that job and I'm currently still looking after finishing my last ever exams last week. That job was not a graduate job and the pay was very high, and I was still in uni when I interviewed. So it's positive I got that far. I suffered a bit from lack of interview prep because I was just too busy. I took up an academic internship which pretty much sucked the life out of me and made me super busy. It's very regrettable, but the research looks good on my CV/resume. Right now I'm trying to pursue a career in law before moving onto bigger and better things in software development :) 

I actually looked at the Latest Activity section earlier and did a flip because damn, that's a lot of scripts inundating the updates. I figure, new scripts are already posted in the Scripts section--would it be possible to filter out the newly-posted scripts from the Latest Activity section? 

Would you still request the same thing? :P I think that's a very rare occurrence, but in any case the best solution would be a "load more" button to continuously load more activity items until you see something interesting. 

Ooh, law. That sounds interesting. Maybe you can finally dig up all the info on piracy you wondered about. What field of law, though?

Would you still request the same thing? :P I think that's a very rare occurrence, but in any case the best solution would be a "load more" button to continuously load more activity items until you see something interesting. 

I actually don't know how hard it would be to do the filtering (always bugs me when I ask for things and I don't know how hard they'll be to accomplish P:), so... pass on that. There weren't many scripts at a time until RPG Maker MV came out, anywho.

There is a problem with blogs, though. On some game pages I'm not seeing the blogs that people post--they're right there in the Activity Log, but as I was trying to look at Ardi's new blog, it came up blank below the game page's banner.

Here: http://www.gdunlimited.net/games/wonders-war/blog/11921/ardaceuss-deviantart-gallery

Not sure if it's only me, but yeah P:

Screenshot in case it's just me:

screenshot-2015-11-21-02-08-23-27952.png

EDIT: whoops, no it's not just me. Bob posted about it in Status. I'm using Google Chrome, so it's not just him and Firefox.

Edited by Kitsuki

I actually don't know how hard it would be to do the filtering (always bugs me when I ask for things and I don't know how hard they'll be to accomplish P:), so... pass on that. There weren't many scripts at a time until RPG Maker MV came out, anywho.

Hard? For me?

giphy1.gif

It's not hard, but I'm saying it's not needed :)

Ooh, law. That sounds interesting. Maybe you can finally dig up all the info on piracy you wondered about. What field of law, though?

My desired fields are commercial and commercial property, mergers & acquisitions, intellectual property and technology. When people think of law they think of criminal and the courts. It's tough though. There's a lot of law grads here so competition is quite high. Getting a job in a law firm is difficult enough let alone practicing in your areas of interest. I'll be fine though. Very few lawyers have my combination of qualifications. I'm not yet sure whether I'll pursue law. I've done so much study and I feel like I'm passively observing my own life tick over... so we'll see. Maybe I'll spontaneously pack all my stuff in a bag and explore the world before I settle down.