New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
MaverickHunterDBoy

Climbing Ladders in an IG Maker Platformer

I posted in the RPG Maker Forums, but in case no one on there has an answer...

When it comes to IG Maker, I'm kind of an "uber-noob".

For platformers, I'd like to learn how to make a player character climb ladders (be they ladders with rungs, rope ladders, or whatever).  The sample platformers had some ladder titles, but not really how to implement them to let the player climb.

I ask because somewhere down the road I want to make some platformers where the players can climb ladders, ropes, etc.  Mainly have the player grab a ladder when "up" is pressed, maybe some way of attacking (in some games) while on a rope/ladder, the player can also get on the ladder if he/she is on the top of it and "down" is pressed, and also letting go if they reach the top or when "jump" is pressed.

Any pointers are appreciated.

I remember when I was like 12 years old making this type of platformer: 

I'm pretty old these days, so my point is I wonder whether you've made the correct game engine choice. If you're an "uber noob", then presumably you do not have a strong affinity with the software. Communities like this one, are much, much, much better than the RPG Maker Forums. RPG Maker has always been either for "noobs" (your words) or talented game devs expediting the process because they dont want commit so much time (so its no wonder they never finish). I would therefore recommend doing some thorough research on your options regarding engines.

I am currently working on plans for my first IG Maker game (as of this reply, I just finished sketching the regular--i.e., non-boss--enemies, and will work on them soon).  It's just I need to know for future reference how to implement climbing.

But, I'm gonna venture the guess I'd need to make a gadget (one of those "invisible" (i.e. spriteless) gadgets) for that, and make a switch for the climbing that turns off when the player has let go (be it made it to the top or bottom, or when the player jumps off).