New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

Retirement

Hi all 

I've been thinking about this for a while and thought about it many times over the years. I feels like the time is right to cease my involvement with GDU. Which is kinda hard to do after 12 years and everything that has happened in my life as a result of learning how to develop web applications and generally as I basically grew up while running the site. 

I had really put a lot of effort into developing stuff like the refinery and in retrospect, that effort was misguided because it amounts to nothing if no one uses it. There were obviously a number of fatal flaws in my approach. Generally an inability to generate activity and trying to do so with applications which can only survive with continuous community involvement. I still feel like the market is really big, but somehow we are no longer relevant. I don't think I have the vision or time to be contribute anything useful here anymore. 

I don't really want to the site to turn into a ghost town artificially kept alive, like CA or sitepoint. 

I also want to write a history of GDU, from my perspective. I think some people might find it interesting. There were a lot of good guys, a lot of bad guys. 

The site is now in the hands of Pol and Bob. 

O/

TBH I'm really surprised you kept going this long. You sure are a fighter and for that I respect you. Without you lots of us wouldn't have a place to call home and lots of us wouldn't have met each other without this site being around.

Like you said before 12 years is like an eternity so you have definitely earned retirement. Sadly we don't have any retirement plans here so you will have deal with getting gratitude and respect :P.

Me and bob will try not to destroy the place in your place.

Id also love to see a written history from your prospective especially since we been through a lot here.

We'll take good care of it! ...what smells like burnt forum posts? ...um....I'll be right back.

It feels like Marked just became Frodo, and we are all Sam.

It's okay to cry in this situation, as the relationships and community built here are wonderful.

Not all tears are evil.

\O

I can't carry the forums, Marked, but I can carry you! ...wait, no I can't. I'll just...hold on to the forums. Don't worry...safe with me....my precious...

Thank you very much for creating this website, it literally changed my life. I hope you keep creating wonderful stuff like GDU! and I am looking forward to the history.

I wish you the best and happiness

Thank you all for the kind words. Took me a few days to check back in this topic. Coincidentally I watched all LotR and hobbit movies in the last few weeks. I actually live near a lot of the moutainous filming locations. Anyway, I will try to write the history once I get some spare time.

@Pol & Bob: Hope you realize what the ring does to ppl O:

:ehh:. I hope you have a good one and your future becomes bright man. There will always be a place for you here and in our hearts. :heart:

Thanks for all the stuff you've work and made for us Mark. All good things must come to an end, after all.

I love a lot of contents that you put inside GDU. Sadly that there's too little audience to see them all.

Anyway, may you have a bright future on your career, and good luck with life.

...Right when I find this place again, too...

You'll still be around, right?

...Anyone still remember me? TwT lol

I member you. And yeah, he's sorta still around, just not in charge anymore. Just me and Pol, with Ardi as our new mod.

...I can't remember you. xD

Let's see, there's Marked, Pol...I remember Wyzrd...I think Kell (whatever his name was, lol)

My memory sucks, I know there's quite a few others that I hung out with on here.

Marked,

I'm not sure if you'll get to read this or not and I'm sorry I missed the farewell party.
What you built here - this community. It has seen a lot of people come and go and its sad to think that your time has come too.
I know I haven't been active in a long time, but I do think of this site from time to time - its always been part of me.. Christ, it's older than my kid. That's a funny thought.

Anyways, I'm terrible with words. I just wanted you to know how much this site meant to me.
Thank you for being a big part of my childhood, thanks for being a cool guy, and I can't wait to read about the sites history from your perspective.
If I'm in the story, please make sure to mention how insanely charming and good looking I am.

I know Pol and Bob will do an awesome job filling your shoes.

All the best dude!

Oh man, it's Arkbennett. I've been hoping a one of the RMXPU Legends would show up eventually, because we don't have any of you guys on Discord. You can have your own role :P

Thanks Arky and the two others above since my last reply. Really appreciate those sentiments. 

I'm not sure if I said this above but I can't really take credit for RMXPU/GDU. It was always a community driven by a few core people, I just happened to install the software :> 

And ya, you're in the story.