New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
superdeer

This vs. RMVX

Hey, I used to dabble extensively in RM2000 and 2003 years ago, and have thought about giving it another go. My question is, what are the differences between XP and VX?

All I know so far is that I want a side-view battle system, with character animations. I know neither of these do that, but both can accomplish it with scripts. So, any insight would be appreciated!

Edit: I just checked the VX forums, and it seems that A.) it isn't available in English yet, and B.) I'd probably like XP better anyway. So I guess I've made my choice.

Anyone with comments, feel free to fire away regardless!

*ducks*

I say XP is better than VX.

If you want a side battle system for XP there is a cool one on creationasylum.net its found by paladin1

I like the RMVX RTP...sort of...like the facesets, battlers, and music are good...but I'd never use VX because I hate the way they designed the character sets...True, it's not hard to transfer RMXP character sets to VX...but still...WHY would you want to take something bad like RM2k3 and combine it with RMXP? Honestly...that's what RMVX reminds me of...an upgraded RM2k3...which I hate >< So, basically, I'll stick with RMXP.

I have heard that the whole game is limited to 5 tilesets. If that is true then XP is definitely better unless you want short-stories type of games.

I have heard that the whole game is limited to 5 tilesets. If that is true then XP is definitely better unless you want short-stories type of games.

I think its just the trial that only lets you have up to 5 tilesets.

any ways i think XP is the way to go

I too have the full version of VX and well you just edit the tileset and add more things its that easy! There may be a way to add more but I don't know how yet. Ill have to say that vx is much better user friendly wise but it could be better so XP is the way to go! I absolutely hate the RMVX character sets!

RMXP is more easier and fun to make than RMVX. I tried RMVX but it seems that it is more complicated than RMXP and I ALREADY started my project on RMXP. So I stick with RMXP... *winks*

I DLed the trial for VX a week ago and I thought I was just going insane. I couldn't believe some of the things that were taken out. map layers gone, screen rez down, limited tilesets, crummy old spritesets. It wasn't until I read this that I realized it really was all like that and not just me being completely inept. If something is so broken it makes you think you're #@%^ing up in real life, you should prolly stay away.

32-bit colour is kinda neat, but I don't see anything else it does even as well as xp.

Some people like the graphics and claim them to be vastly superior to rmxp for some reason, but seriously, they're both outdated in that respect and will continue to be outdated until a couple other resolutions can be supported. Variable size sprites function is the -one- meaningful step in the right direction that the series has taken, but vx screwed that up by going back to the old spritesets.

well i have noticed the only 2 or 3 things i like more about vx is the tilesets are auto layerd so you build a wall and then put on a window or something you do not need to set it to layer 2 cause it is auto on top unless it is from the same layer set, i also like how it is more organized in its action layout, and i really do enjoy the fact that it has a face add in spot with the text. other then that thats about it everty thing else is much better on xp. i hate how the characters look on the map, and i hate how they have every tileset on one set it makes it confuseing. VX also took out the battlers so boooo sucky sucky. it is amazing how rggs2 is saposed to be more better but they give it such crap... i would consider VX more if they made it convertabule with XP so if i was makeing a game series i could use my characters and face sets on VX but boooo to VX *burns it and rost marshmellows* i did how ever kept the rtp so i can use the music and pictuers for useage on my rmxp game

RPG Maker VX is based on RPG Maker 2k/2k3 as stated in the help file. They also said that they kept good parts from previous makers. i.e. RGSS from XP, but they improved that to make RGSS2, etc.

I had been very excited at the thought of the next RPG Maker for ages as each one had been better than the last and I always thought, wow, the next one after RMXP is going to be amazing, I mean, to be able to do everything you can in RMXP but with even better graphics and more event options, it had to be something to look forward too. Boy, was I disappointed when RMVX came out. Taking a step back to a more retro experience graphically, was not a good idea. So I will definately be sticking to RMXP!

Most people get that impression when first looking at VX, even myself. But when I had a look at some VX games, that actually looked quite nice. The maps are way less detailed, but it makes it so much easier to map. To map in XP takes a lot of skill to get it looking really good. But the maps in VX do look decent if you were to look at what some people have done with them.

I really think RMVX has some nice advantages over RMXP. Although if i were to make a project, I would still choose RMXP.

I also heard a rumor that the next RPG Maker will be continued from RMXP. Makes sense they're bringing out a new one with the release of Windows 7, they seem to be complementary releases.

Very tough call. XP has better map design and more resources, VX has a better range for skills (like one skill that makes you attack twice). But I guess it all depends on what kind of "style" you want your game to have.

I also heard a rumor that the next RPG Maker will be continued from RMXP. Makes sense they're bringing out a new one with the release of Windows 7, they seem to be complementary releases.

Another RPG Maker? (I wonder what it'll be called. RMDV, RMPV, RMGV.....) Where did you hear this?

Lol, you guys do realize that you are replying to a necro-post right? Whatever.

Man, this question will never stop being asked. I don't know which I like more. I know I love to map in RMXP, but VX is also very fun. Plus you can make short games really quickly. I bet I could map a whole game in VX in just two days. RMXP maps take longer but they can be a lot more fun. Some other changes were made that were not so appealing to me are also coming to mind. Like how in VX, there are no player battlers, just monster battlers. And the battlebackgrounds? Yuck.

They look like.. yeah, nevermind.

I actually know (not personally) a lot of people that think the new chibi character style is cool, nice, better, or intuitive. I don't know because I am not a spriter, but my guess is that it is easier to make your own VX sprites, isn't it? RGSS2 was the main selling point for most people O believe, but I myself am not a very good "scripter" at all. In fact it takes me hours just to modify simple things, but still that doesn't mean I can't use awesome scripts that other people make.

Also RPG Maker VX users have more access to help on forums, or at least more potential to get more help, as the RMVX community is growing because VX is newer than XP.

So basically, it comes down to personal taste.

Some like VX.

Some like XP.

I am apart of the latter group though.

So really, it is all down to personal taste