New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

Current status of GDU

'ello all

I just thought I would post my thoughts while I have a spare moment, and update you guys on the future of GDU.

As you will see from the last few announcements, I had decided to close GDU and then suddenly backtrack on that decision in order to move GDU to new software. There was previously another party involved, but you will notice that development had suddenly stopped last year. Indeed, you only have me.

Surprisingly / not surprisingly, despite no activity since the move to gdu.one, visitors to GDU have actually increased to their highest levels since April 2018

image.png

I had harped on about GDU.one's software and how good it was, and I'm still just so impressed. Damn. There is some brilliant stuff under the hood. I feel like GDU should be an active website, but it is not. Therefore, I do not believe it should be shut down. The content sections don't have submission functionality yet and development on that ceased last year, but was really close to going live..... It's a bit of a shame. I intend to complete it and continue dev, because I strongly believe in the software behind the site and what it can achieve. I admit that all you can use is a forum at the moment...

*crawls out of my hole to read this post and takes a second to stare at your new name*
giphy.gif

Honestly, as long as RPG Maker (even though we try to do more than that now) is alive on Steam in any capacity, I think this site will have a place in the indie community as a resource, even if it's not a super big one.

Yes, but I am also hoping that more people come to post content. RPG Maker or not. I hope that the games section and refinery can attract any devs. In particular, the games section has a ton of new community based features, i.e. everything uploaded (downloads, images, videos, refinery posts, blog posts) is a post with it's own comments, likes, etc. 

I'm also working on having game section downloads part of an e-commerce system so you guys can sell your games. 

I might get some stuff done since I'm in corono lockdown D:

Hi, before i start just know my English grammar so so... I want to say one think, your site is a 'Master Piece'. what should you ask yourself is "why people leaving?", you can also just ask it in the main 'RPG Maker forum', learn why and then use those tips to attract Developers to this place. maybe you need to post once a week in the main rpg maker forums to find the right Developers who believe in the 'GDU' system as you do, start with telling/show them what his all about for much detail as you can, then in some point (first time you post it or maybe after few times) you will find Developers who believe in the 'GDU' system. I'm personal only a beginner at developing and is not my stronger side so can't help you with the 'develop' part, my stronger side is  'I see thing in the more deeper level and there for i'm very good with 'Planing' and do things in the right way, so when i sew this amazing website I know I have to write my  thought, even if they not much. I really hop you get this thing going, good luck!  

Not sure if i can help with anything but feel free to contact me for any reason.

TGA

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your kind comments. I am actively developing as I write this.

I agree with your suggestion and I think that is good advice. First however, I need to complete the submission functionality for Show & Tell and the Games section, since these are the cornerstones of the GDU system for developers. I think, particularly the regular members (who are lurking or in discord right now), people cannot really see the potential I see since these sections are not fully functional. At the moment they're essentially read-only. First, I intend to ensure that developers can make full use of the Games and Show & Tell sections, and then I will start a campaign of bringing users to the site.

My current plan is to get the submission forms working roughly, and then slowly update them with new features. Figuring out what I don't need to implement is a bit challenging. The games section in particular is a completely different system from the old system. That new system is comprised of many sub-systems. The games page itself, blogs, screenshots/videos and downloads and all different post types in themselves and each need their own forms. Lots of work :D

Makes since, and yee I mean it's harder to continue working on something you don't see the 'End' of it. I will say maybe try if you can to break down (what left to do before the system will be function) to a small steps 1,2,3... And if you know(more or less) what need to be done in each step in order to finish them, add it too. then even if those steps will take a bit time, since they have a "Visual step by step" for the goal, it will be easier and more fun to join in.

Again that a least what helps me a lot well working in the past  year on my big/long project goal (art, farming system, time, day-night, mine, fishing, ABS battle type system, NPC, dialogue, Animation tools/weapons, Story Eventing+some camera work, and more...).

Sounds like you have a good plane, I can't wait to see this GDU system get back to life.

Best,

TGA 

Edited by TGA