New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Leon

What do you look for in an RmXP game?

What would you look for in a game?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. The options are:

• Gameplay (New systems, new ways of learning skills, etc)
    • Music and Sounds (The way the music and sounds accentuate the mood)
    • Graphics (New graphics, other than RTP)
    • Storyline (A captivating story wrappped around mystery an romance)
    • Mapping (A well mapped game that sets a great mood)
    • Unique Items (Differing from 'Potion' or 'Bronze Sword')
    • In-Depth Characters (Characters with personality and history)

Ok, whoever votes, please list what you voted for, and why. This may help us all see what we look for.

I voted gameplay, music and sounds, story, and characters,

I am an old school gamer, so character and story mean more htan anything. But sounds and music must be used to increase the mood of the area. As for gameplay, new systems are what sets the game apart from teh others. In my opinion, a must.

I voted for.

Gameplay - I get bored when games are repetative wheter to themselves or another game. So I look for something new.

Storyline - I love playing games where the storyline just pulls me into it. I can't play a game without a good storyline I just turn it off.

Mapping - I want it to look good when it comes to mapping. I want to see new creative ideas on the map.

Unique Items - I get tired of starting games with bronze swords and potions. Give me something new.

In-Depth Characters - The characters need personality or it is just no good. If you can't enjoy the person your playing because you don't know anything about them. Then why play?

I didn't vote for.

Music and Sound - I hate most the music on RPG Maker XP most of the time. I just don't go for it no offence to it. I throw on some of my music and listen to it.

Graphics - Don't really matter to me to much. Sure I like to see new things but again if the story is no good then forget the fancy graphics, it's not going to keep me.

I voted for...

Graphics - I'm sure most of you have played your share of RMXP games. Most of them have RTP tilesets and Characters, and after a while every game looks the same. Original graphics, especially in an RMXP game, definitely make it more appealing.

Storyline - I get bored with games pretty quickly. Even if they have all the best systems, music and graphics, without a decent storyline keeping the player interested, I would stop playing it. A decent storyline is a prerequisite for any game.

Mapping - The least important of the three to me. I would still play a game with average mapping, but when the maps are exceptionally done, it just makes the game that much better. So this would be something I look for, but is not at the top of the list.

Music and Sound - a definite. I doubt the final fantasy series would have been as popular had the music sucked. Thus is why I am here, to provide original scores to make it better :). Always a plus, I say.

Storyline - has to be good and NOT cliche. People who make games have trouble making it innovative, and it adds hugely to the game's overall performance.

Mapping - again, a definite. If the maps are boring/not done correctly, then no one is going to want to play it. Houses should be small, fields should be large, and it should all look realistic.

In-Depth Characters - shouldn't be so in-depth that it takes away from the storyline, but everyone who's there should have a reason for being there, and not just because they want to "join the adventure." I hate when characters like that come along, just to add extra options for a lineup. I'd rather have 4 or 5 solid, interesting, and unique characters then 20 lame ones.

I voted for:

Storyline - Every great game has a great story line, you cant just be left ahnging at the end or have such a boring storyline you want to stop playing, so thats a huge one

Mapping - The maps have to look good, its just required otherwise you have this game with ugly maps and it looks nothing like a world just like a trash bin :D.

Graphics - Graphics are not that big to me meaning it doesn't have to be like super awesome graphics but something other then the RTP might be good.

Gameplay - Needs to not be too long or short, fit the stuff that happens in it like that no added stuff that makes it boring, this goes back to the story!

Storyline = What makes a game called RPG is because of their story. It would'nt be a RPG afterall if there is no story in the game and by the way, RPG stands for Role-Playing Game and the "Role" are the characters in the story who has a role.

I voted for graphics and storyline mostly. If something is too ugly to look at I can't stand to play it, but it doesn't have to be GORGEOUS. The story is the most important part though. Something original and not too cliche.

Gameplay: This is what would keep me with the game, keep it

Music and Sounds: how well these are used affect what mood I am in

Storyline: something more original than "The princess got captured, go save her,"

Unique items: you can use the original items like Bronze Sword, but give it a good/fun description

In-Depth Characters: this includes NPCs not saying the same thing over and over again.

First of all, nsigman197. What you did is called necroposting. No worries, it happens a lot. Just make sure you don't do it too much. Necro posting is when you post on a topic whose last topic was posted more than a month ago. In this case, its a year ago. You can see when a post was made by looking at the top of it.

Ok, whoever votes, please list what you voted for, and why. This may help us all see what we look for.

I voted gameplay, music and sounds, story, and characters,

I am an old school gamer, so character and story mean more htan anything. But sounds and music must be used to increase the mood of the area. As for gameplay, new systems are what sets the game apart from teh others. In my opinion, a must.

Character development is also one thing that is very important to me. Way back when, they didn't have the capability to make new super mega awesome game mechanics, so they gave characters souls in a way.

I voted for.

Gameplay - I get bored when games are repetative wheter to themselves or another game. So I look for something new.

Storyline - I love playing games where the storyline just pulls me into it. I can't play a game without a good storyline I just turn it off.

Mapping - I want it to look good when it comes to mapping. I want to see new creative ideas on the map.

Unique Items - I get tired of starting games with bronze swords and potions. Give me something new.

In-Depth Characters - The characters need personality or it is just no good. If you can't enjoy the person your playing because you don't know anything about them. Then why play?

I didn't vote for.

Music and Sound - I hate most the music on RPG Maker XP most of the time. I just don't go for it no offence to it. I throw on some of my music and listen to it.

Graphics - Don't really matter to me to much. Sure I like to see new things but again if the story is no good then forget the fancy graphics, it's not going to keep me.

There is always people to make original music for games, so I did vote for that. If people don't take the time to get some help from someone else, it probably means that their RPG is just a half-ass job. (excuse my french). I like the RTP actually, though. So if they don't have extra graphics I don't mind. Though a few RTP add-ons would be nice. Custom battlers also make it better.

I voted for...

Graphics - I'm sure most of you have played your share of RMXP games. Most of them have RTP tilesets and Characters, and after a while every game looks the same. Original graphics, especially in an RMXP game, definitely make it more appealing.

Storyline - I get bored with games pretty quickly. Even if they have all the best systems, music and graphics, without a decent storyline keeping the player interested, I would stop playing it. A decent storyline is a prerequisite for any game.

Mapping - The least important of the three to me. I would still play a game with average mapping, but when the maps are exceptionally done, it just makes the game that much better. So this would be something I look for, but is not at the top of the list.

I agree with you for the most part. The RTP in so many games, though it may look good, can make them all seem the same. This makes it even more important for the second thing you mentioned, story-line, to be original. If it uses the same ol' RTP graphics and a not-so-good story-line, then I wouldn't play it. But take Master Of the Wind for example, most of their stuff is RTP, but it has a good storyline. I only got to the mines with the rats in the third Arc, but I still love that series. I should finish it. Did anyone here finish Master of the Wind?

I voted for gameplay because i get tired of the same old stuff quick

Well a lot of people don't have the capability to script out a new gameplay system or even get other people to do it. But you can make games differ with events, so I can see what you mean.

Music and Sound - a definite. I doubt the final fantasy series would have been as popular had the music sucked. Thus is why I am here, to provide original scores to make it better :). Always a plus, I say.

Storyline - has to be good and NOT cliche. People who make games have trouble making it innovative, and it adds hugely to the game's overall performance.

Mapping - again, a definite. If the maps are boring/not done correctly, then no one is going to want to play it. Houses should be small, fields should be large, and it should all look realistic.

In-Depth Characters - shouldn't be so in-depth that it takes away from the storyline, but everyone who's there should have a reason for being there, and not just because they want to "join the adventure." I hate when characters like that come along, just to add extra options for a lineup. I'd rather have 4 or 5 solid, interesting, and unique characters then 20 lame ones.

I defiantly agree with Biddy here. It drives me CRAZY when people use cliche things. It is really hard to not come up with a cliche storyline nowadays though, because so many storylines are already used. Some people just can't map. But they should find someone to map for them. Lots of people out there don't really have a project to do, are really good at mapping, and might even do it for free. Like me! (Seriously though, send me something to map if you can't do it yourself.)

I voted for:

Storyline - Every great game has a great story line, you cant just be left ahnging at the end or have such a boring storyline you want to stop playing, so thats a huge one

Mapping - The maps have to look good, its just required otherwise you have this game with ugly maps and it looks nothing like a world just like a trash bin :D.

Graphics - Graphics are not that big to me meaning it doesn't have to be like super awesome graphics but something other then the RTP might be good.

Gameplay - Needs to not be too long or short, fit the stuff that happens in it like that no added stuff that makes it boring, this goes back to the story!

Yeah, even if a game had a delicious storyline, bad maps will ruin the game. They don't have to be perfect, just not... half ass jobs. If a game has excess crap that make you wait for the story to get back on tract, then I don't like it.

Storyline = What makes a game called RPG is because of their story. It would'nt be a RPG afterall if there is no story in the game and by the way, RPG stands for Role-Playing Game and the "Role" are the characters in the story who has a role.

Actually even though the R in RPG is role, most people consider it roll as in rolling the dice. But I do agree with you, no story is bad. Most games do have storylines though, they are just either not very intuitive, cliche , or just plain ol' bad.

I voted for graphics and storyline mostly. If something is too ugly to look at I can't stand to play it, but it doesn't have to be GORGEOUS. The story is the most important part though. Something original and not too cliche.

I think, according to how you said, you mean the mapping. When Leon mentioned graphics he meant wheter or not it is RTP or custom stuff. Though yes, if they do use custom graphics, the shouldn't be whipped up in MS Paint.

Gameplay: This is what would keep me with the game, keep it

Music and Sounds: how well these are used affect what mood I am in

Storyline: something more original than "The princess got captured, go save her,"

Unique items: you can use the original items like Bronze Sword, but give it a good/fun description

In-Depth Characters: this includes NPCs not saying the same thing over and over again.

Hehe, I always like to give funny descriptions of the items I make. I don't really mind what items the game has though, it is the other aspects that I think are important.

When you are talking about the sounds, do you mean that the RTP sounds should be used properly, or that there should be custom sounds altogether? I like custom sounds but the RTP hasn't bored me yet. :lol:

I voted for Gameplay, Music and Sounds, Storyline, Mapping, and In-Depth Characters. You will know why if you read my whole post ;).

EDIT: Biggest post ever. If you read this whole thing PM me and I will make you a map for free ;). Hurray for random rewarding!

This is an interesting topic so who cares about necro-posting (since it appears not many knew about this). And I'd have to say all of them.

Gameplay: It's nice to have different gamestyles, if you play the same one over and over again, even if it's good, it'll get boring.

Music and Sounds: Now this plays an important role in a game (hehe..... game, plays, bad pun joke :P) It needs good action songs for battle, some tranquility ones for a town, or when the character is sleeping. Things like that.

Graphics: Hmm....... The graphics seem to be ok. Not sure........... You mean like animations on maps?

Storyline: It needs to be original (which is hard nowadays), and an addicting game to boot.

Mapping: Mapping skills aren't easy to do, just try and make them look ok, or ask someone who has god mapping skills to make one for you.

Unique Items: It would be nice to have unique items instead of the usual default, or the default with some new items. Just spice it up a bit.

In-Depth Characters: Most games need this, characters with REAL personalities.

Also, Kiriashi, I read it all and my eyes hurt from reading it since that is way to big.

lol, I thought you could only vote for one.

well, anyways, this is strictly RMXP games, amateur games that is, because commercial games are different, cuz all armatures are amateurs, lol.

as such, mapping is WAAAAY to important, because it's neglected all so often, and no matter how great you're story is, or how deep you're characters are, or how long and amazing you're system and game play is with that 40hour rmxp game of yours, crap mapping equals crap game, no question.

The best mapping will make a game enjoyable no matter what, because as amateurs we're aiming for quality, display, the story and all of that deep stuff can only come later, much MUCh later, lol.

Indeed, so many people don't care about mapping.

Nisage, do you want your free map :lol:.

totally, really, it does, it ticks the hell out of me when ppl try to justify their ridiculously ugly noob game with "Omgz! I have a epic amazing story though! Read this giant wall of text and stop trying to just my game on my mapping and rtp!"

Agh, it's stupid, a good story is really important in a actual game, but yeah, rmxp? I could care less about you're story, no amateur has a story that will surpass Disgaea's, or code geass's, because if it did, 99% of time you wouldn't be working on RPGs, you'd be a actual writer.

totally, really, it does, it ticks the hell out of me when ppl try to justify their ridiculously ugly noob game with "Omgz! I have a epic amazing story though! Read this giant wall of text and stop trying to just my game on my mapping and rtp!"

Agh, it's stupid, a good story is really important in a actual game, but yeah, rmxp? I could care less about you're story, no amateur has a story that will surpass Disgaea's, or code geass's, because if it did, 99% of time you wouldn't be working on RPGs, you'd be a actual writer.

So true.

All I have to say.

mostly graphics. I dont even read everything in project posts. usually only scroll down to the maps. if they look good I give other stuff another look to make sure they arent really bad. if they pass the not a 12 yr old kids first game test I usually download

You know, for this, I must agree, with a condition. You see, the RTP graphics I do enjoy. But, with a good story and RTP, it can work on one condition: You actually put some effort INTO the mapping. No square mountains. Buldings are never placed exactly in a row. Bushes have flaws. Yes, sure, sometimes there is the rare occasion where nature is symetrical, however, every mapper must remember to add the element of randomness.

In short; I agree, but if you map or use the RTP, be creative and make it look good. Those idiots who use the RTP and make it look like shit give the RTP a bad name. the RTP is decent graphics. Learn to use em.

mostly graphics. I dont even read everything in project posts. usually only scroll down to the maps. if they look good I give other stuff another look to make sure they arent really bad. if they pass the not a 12 yr old kids first game test I usually download

I'm telling Polraudio to put this in his quotes archive ;)

BTW, welcome to RMXPU, SolstICE! I've seen you around RMXP.org.

Leon: "Those idiots who use the RTP and make it look like shit give the RTP a bad name. the RTP is decent graphics. Learn to use em."

This is so true man! That must be what they do. They see it as bad 'cause they just plain suck at it, and tell everyone else it is just the general look of the run time package. It really is stupid.

If you guys know Breadfan, an amazing mapper, even he was open for hire. There a lot of good mappers for people to hire if they can't do it themselves. :/

To be honest, mapping is important, but so is storyline and such. Amateur or no, I wouldn't play a game that has no storyline. Epic mapping is epic, but an epic fail at a storyline = an epic fail at the whole game, no matter the systems or the mapping or anything. Storyline and characters, even in an amateur game, are still the most important. Mapping is one of the least things I worry about. So, yeah, my vote is: Characters, Storyline, and Gameplay

yes, but the thing is, anyone with enough brains to make epic maps, will never have epic fail of storys.

Like I said though, I could care less about someone's amazing epic storyline that takes place with arshes and 40 dungeons with 20 twists and betrayals, it's CRAP

rtp imo, yes, they're good graphics by themselves, but nonetheless they look vastly inferior to custom or just edited graphics, because simply put, the RTP was designed to be basic, simple, and overall very very bland, it can be worked well with extra and special effects, but without editing the rtp doesn't go far imo, at least change the pallet a bit.

a amazing story doesn't make a amazing amateur game, amazing display and productivity does. Trust me, by working on visual & techincal appeal over story etc, the story will always follow naturally, always, people who lead with just a "story of the century" wall-o-text game tend to fail because they're noobs.

What monkey and I are trying to say is that storyline is important, but it can't make a game by itself. It has to have maps that aren't a half-*** job. I do agree that the storyline is important, I think the most important thing in a game is the characters, but if the maps suck, then I wouldn't be able to pay attention to the story.

Hi I'm new to the community. :bye:

Just saw this thread and thought it looked interesting to see your opinions as well as share mine ( good to know what you guys like in a game/don't like in a game rpg maker xp wise )

So. I voted for:

Gameplay: This is really important to me, I feel like if a game has fun or new game style it would be enjoyable to play.

Story/Plot: You need something to keep the player interested unless your game-plays super amazing or innovative that it doesn't need a plot e.g monster hunter or Sims.

Characters: You can't have a good story without good characters, this is also important

and lastly Mapping: The game world needs to fit it all together not like e.g a cyber punk but then you have medieval characters with swords unless you make them cyber medieval gladiators with light sabers it might look...er?...or a large pyramid in the middle of the snow, actually that might be cool but you know what I mean. It's good to be creative but you need to think about the setting too.

Hope I'll be posting more, Hi to all of ya! :alright: ( P.S nice smiley's )

Edited by Emanzi

Nice to meet you Emanzi :bye: but sadly this is a year old topic and dead. I recommend you create a topic in the introduction subforum.

:yes: Will do...

well, every of those options should be the main point of each game made in RMXP, or in other engines...

I think the goal of making a good game isn't...Having 100 games with the same chests, with the same characters charsets, the same places...The same style...Each game should be 100%genuine, of course that's a hell of a work to do ,but, that's the difference between a regular or a well made game...