New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Kiriashi

Kiriashi's Mapping Depot

Mapping Poll  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Maps should be:

• Really good, RTP
    • Okay, non RTP

I've been doing a few maps and making an 'evil' version of them using the following tileset

helld.png

Just want to see your thoughts and views and any advice, criticism welcome

comparisonq.png

I know that there is something wrong in the bottom right corner, but Im already fixing that

EDIT: These are the two images

Tileset: http://img685.imageshack.us/i/helld.png/

Maps: http://img179.imageshack.us/i/comparisonq.png/

Oh, that's fine, I guess. I just wanted to post it. I can wait, doesn't really matter. It will increase my talents until I can get some criticism back ^.^

Plus, I still need to find tuts...

Satsuriku your maps look very good. The details are very nicely done. If I was you I would add a few more flowers to the plains.

Here's a tileset you guys can try to improve you skills! Let me see what ya'll can do!

Tile-set:

Savannah

gallery_2908_10_157337.png

Auto-tiles:

Water (Use on first layer):

gallery_2908_3_15596.png

Grass (Use on first layer):

gallery_2908_3_4968.png

Undulation (Second layer):

gallery_2908_3_2109.png

Dirt (First Layer):

gallery_2908_3_1453.png

Sample Maps:

savannahr.png

rmxp3.png

Work in Progress:

savannahrivulets.png

Thanks for the tileset and autotiles Kiriashi. Cant wait to use them. Who do we credit?

Those maps are so sexy i just want to print them off and make love to them all day.

rmxp3.png

:c

I almost cried at how beautiful the maps are, especially this one T.T

Thanks for the auto-tiles and stuffz :)

This will be the tileset I'll test around with next!

Not at all!

I really like that tileset, please post it!

The main thing I see wrong with your map is that there isn't really any path. You used the path tiles all over the place for like dirt or something, which you need to fix. Each map needs to serve one main purpose. This one seems like a type of cross-roads of some sort. Next is the weeds in the water, they don't really work.

The rocks on the path are something I do a lot with the RTP, but in this tileset they really stand out, so you should use them a bit less. Also don't use the rock tiles with the most rocks on paths.

Another thing is the stumps. Unless the guy in the tent is a lumberjack, the stumps probably wouldn't be that far off from the path. In fact there might not even be very many stumps at all in that area because it looks rather rural. If it is nearby a town or city then you can keep a few of them next to the path. Then again, that guy in the tent wouldn't lodge there if a town was close. He'd rather sleep in a Inn.

When you post the tileset I will make a map or two with it to demonstrate what I have said.

Thanks a lot for posting! It was getting lonely in here..

I believe I saw that tileset at HBgames guys...you can always check it out until he/she posts back with it ^.^

If you post in this topic one more time without showing me a map, I'm putting you in the corner and hosing you down with molten honey. GET TO IT! :lol:

Please do not spam in my forum. Thanks. ^_^

From now on,

do not make a post without a map unless you are talking about a map you or I have already made.

I think my map looks a little barren.... :)....with just the tables and the wooden floors.....Can you help me out with the details,Kiriashi?

screensu.png

I don't know where the spolier option is...sorry :(

Could you please post the entire map?

To make a spoiler box, but the image in these tags:

[spoiler]Put the image here.[/spoiler]

@den 13-Actually thats a fog..... :D I reduced the scren colour and used the fog.... :)

@Kiriashi-"Post the entire map" as in including EVERYTHING...?The map's 35X45(I think) :)...How can I make a screenshot of that? :)

Walk to every part of the map and take a screenshot. Then combine them in paint, and upload.

This script will help.

If you do use the script, make sure to make a "Snapshots" folder, and download the dll.

Okay, so I'm putting my game together and I realized that my mapping...sucks, again >.>

Here is a map I cooked up. Unfortunatly, the area was supposed to look like it was under construction, like the owner -- she is alone -- that year, had started to build and stuff (which explains the small house lol). But my trees, no matter what Layer, makes their shadows super dark. I can't seem to stop it >.>

i6fuj9.jpg

And here is one shot of a cliff scene. This one, which is odd, I got the tree's shadows...not so dark :<

15o9ruh.jpg

Edited by CrimsonInferno

Crimson Inferno, if I may assist Kiriashi in this, you have some tilesets here, the first one has transparency unset for the shadow, the second does. My guess is that you either downloaded the image straight into the folder and didn't set transparency, or you imported and didn't use the left click. Both with a downloaded custom or large tileset.

To set transparency, save the tileset to a place like the desktop and then import it into you game, lets say all of the transparent parts are one solid colour like teal or red, left click that, then for the shadows under the trees right click, you should then get the shadows to be transparent.

If however it is the same tileset, you have inconsistancies in the shading colour across them, so in that case you need to manually adjust all of the shadows to be the same dark grey colour. It is a simple thing to change and anyone can do it but if you have issues all you have to do is ask.

Thanks for helping Rook!

Here's a demonstration of the process in pictures:

Import the tileset:

29abec41b099ae314a40534a677b5b7a.png

Press OK and this window will come up:

e951536cef14e2365838f3c6dd4ecbca.png

Left click the background color (Transparent Color); in my case its the white stuff.

5f6054e75d2528276aae368c57186d7e.png

Now right click the shadow color. Just find the dark gray shadow of a tree and right click it:

transparenth.png

Now the tileset is imported and ready to be used.

End result:

66f0052ec09af0d2bcc60529612dc1d6.png

Oh! I didn't know that's what the second tab of the color bar was for! :o

Thanks so much guys! How was the mapping though? Good or bad?