New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
EmilyAnnCoons

"Maturing up" a novelization

So, if you're confused about my topic title, then look at my Legend of Zelda stories :P Basically, this topic was inspired by my webcomic: Legend of Zelda - Wind Waker. Me and the artist have been talking, and we think there might be more mature content then the original game had in it. So, I wanted to see what people thought about this. Do you think it's bad when someone takes an E rated game and "matures it up" (a term which, in this topic, means to add mature content to something that originally didn't have it as long as the mature content still fits and doesn't distract from the original story) to a T or M rating?

Again, act like adults while in this topic. It may be about video games/stories, but it's still a mature conversation, so I expect people to not be offended by other people's posts (I'm likely to be the one who would get the most offended, as I enjoy maturing up games, and I won't get offended, so if I can do it, so can you :P).

you know, stories are so babied now a days, it sickens me. if link were to stab ganon, i'm sure there'd be mature content. Or him an zelda gettin a lill... frishkey.

Do not be more "mature" for maturity's sake, but to better tell your story.

All of my "mature content" in my stories adds to the story (or so I think). Like Veran trying to get her way with Link, only to have that be the key that wipes her out...or Link wandering upon a lesbian couple upon a boat...though the second one isn't so necessary ^^" In my new version of Ocarina of Time, Link(ette) is naked for half a chapter (perhaps a whole chapter) because she's aged 7 years, and her old clothes no longer fit her (I always wondered how that worked in the game).

Rauru trained his body, and gave him new clothes.

"Maturing up" a video game, eh? Well, when doing that I think there are three things to keep in mind:

1) There is nothing wrong with adding to a story. That is how stories are made: diffrent people contributing ideas and puting them together. Video game plots are no diffrent.

2) Since the original story is known to a younger age group, that age group must know that this story is not for them. Also, everyone must know that this is not the auther's original story or a offical exstention of.

3) Maturing a story opens a lot of doors (Agh, I sound like a parent!). Make sure you are using them to further your story, rather than maturing for maturing's sake (i.e. having the charictors run aroud half-naked for no other reson than "It look's sexy").

As long as those three guidelines are kept, I think that adding mature content to a story is a good way to increse the story's level of depth.

Hope I could help!

I don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as you are adding to the story.

Like Maph said, there is no point in doing it if its just to have mature content.