New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Sign in to follow this  
LovePhoenix

[XP]Mapping Fort Exteriors

Hi all,

Okay, so someone requested a tutorial for mapping forts, and I offered to do one. Please before we begin, I want to make a few points. First, this is my very first time mapping a fort. Surprising, I know, but I it's pretty similar to mapping a few other maps I know. Second, this tutorial is for beginners and will teach only the basics. The map will not be perfect, considering how this is my first time and all, but it's pretty decent. (I hope, at the very least.)

Okay, so let us begin. First off, we will be using the Fort default tileset. Usually, I like to map using the master tilesets because they allow you to use lots of things, but it will be hard to use it in this tut. We will make the map 22 width x 20 height.

First of all, fill the map with grass on the first layer using the fill icon (red icon on the top.) Then, using the square tool, we will begin making some cliffs on the same layer. Be sure to be detailed and not symmetrical, as symmetry is absolutely bad in nature.

Tut1.PNG

Doesn't look bad for a base. Now, we will begin making the actual fort. It's completely alright to be symmetrical here, since it's man-made. Now we will begin making the lower part of it on the second layer. I am going to make the walls a little taller than the actual ones by extending the tiles, though, cause I feel it was too short.

Tut2.PNG

Now on the same second layer, we are going to add an upper little part. Since most of the tiles cover 5 pixels, I put them on the same layer except for the corner tiles, in which I put those on the third layer.

Tut3.PNG

Still on the second layer, I'll add some trees and two blue flags. The trees must be not symmetrical, while the flags should be for a nice shape.

Tut4.PNG

Now we are going to move to the third layer. I added more trees, both cut and still. I although came back to the first layer to add some water and a nice path. When doing paths, make sure of two points. 1- They are not straight. It looks really bad. 2- They LEAD somewhere. Paths are made by people WALKING on them constantly, so be sure they don't look awkward.

Tut5.PNG

Now, to the last part, I am going to add the details on the cliffs, the plants and weeds, the woods and touch-ups. Don't clutter things up, but don't make them too empty either.

Tut6.PNG

Now, with some events, toning and nice atmosphere:

Tut7.png

Wow, such a simple form, and yet it looks pretty good. I'll have to look into doing something like this with the fort. Thanks -nods- Just need to know how to map the interior now lol

Looks pretty great. But to tell you the truth, I think the front wall of the fort look way to straight. You can add some variations on the wall, and just don't have it straight and bland.

Other from that, it's a pretty good tutorial :)

Thanks ^^ I am glad and I hope it would help some people who are having troubles using that map. I know cause I used to, too. lol

@Shadow: Ahh thanks for pointing out. It was my first time mapping a fort anyway so I know there will be some mistakes. ^^

No Garrison tower? Or archers atop?

Looks great, however you may want to think from the fort-builder's perspective and look at defense. Just a technical thing, really. It looks outstanding. I would just add a tower on at least one side or the other. Height is your friend in battle.

Fort Exteriors, I must admit, are pretty hard to map because it is limited by not too many things to work with. You did a great job and, when I was reading it, I actually thought it was somebody like Kiriashi :D . Really great job!

I'm too busy with my project to work on all of my mapping tutorials. <_<

Nice tutorial love; wait a sec, do I smell necropost?