New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Some1

Can a game made in RPG Maker be... Successful?

Hopefully i'm not at the wrong forum... Anyway.

I've been given an assignment at school to do a project about something I like, in my case - Game development. There's a certain question that I need an answer for, so I thought i'll ask it here. Can a game made in RPG Maker (Any version) be successful? I mean, can you make a game in RPG Maker and make it popular worldwide, sell it at the stores, become a millionare, and stuff like that? Like Final Fantasy or Pokemon games, or whatever. I'm pretty sure an average person won't be able to do that, but if, say, a group of people will work hard on a huge and fascinating game in RM for more than just a few months... Can it be successful like I described?

I don't think there is a good chance for it to be popular worldwide. Some people have made popular games within the RM Community. Study the program on Youtube and on all RPG Maker sites. You will be able to learn a lot about the program and may be able to use it to its' full potential.

If the game, dialoge and graphics are good. Even the music.

If you bought the liences for the game's script (if you don't try and make whatever you need) you could bring it worldwide and see how well it goes. That's how Halo became so popular. Xbox found their game and their tiny company named "Bungie.". :)

So yes, if the plot and everything was great, you could do it. If you had a team, it would go a lot faster and probably better too. C:

Yes and no. If your game is the best game made in RPG Maker then maybe yes. If you can find some way to port it to other console's and hand-held devices then YES! because most gamers for PC dont really play these kind of RPG's unless they are RPG lovers like me. If you can port it to a console like PS3, 360, Wii, PSP, and GBA then you have a huge chance.

No, unless you can port it to other widely used consoles and actually make the game of professional quality. Not impossible, but implausible.

There are many other game development programs to try. Look for what is best for your goals.

Your game doesn't have to go to a system like Xbox, PS3 or Wii to be acknowledged by the world. Halo and many popular games started off this way.

I think it depends on what your definition of success is.

I don't think its possible personally, even though there have been commercial RPG Maker XP games. We've had 3d for long? At least the 80's. Even for the fact that there's so much competition out there, you would have to have at a team, and one of professional quality.

I dunno, I think we should assume that the most successful RPG Maker XP game should define the limit.

Its possible with the right equipment; graphics, resources, music, team, commercials, advertisement, plot, dialogue, feeling, depth....things like that. And the genre, that is important.

Broken Messiah, please check the dates of most recent posts before you reply to a topic.

brokenpost.png

crimsonpost.png

As you can see, the posts are a month apart. It's not really a big deal, but I have yet to tell you, so I'm just doing it in this post. ^_^

Hopefully i'm not at the wrong forum... Anyway.

I've been given an assignment at school to do a project about something I like, in my case - Game development. There's a certain question that I need an answer for, so I thought i'll ask it here. Can a game made in RPG Maker (Any version) be successful? I mean, can you make a game in RPG Maker and make it popular worldwide, sell it at the stores, become a millionare, and stuff like that? Like Final Fantasy or Pokemon games, or whatever. I'm pretty sure an average person won't be able to do that, but if, say, a group of people will work hard on a huge and fascinating game in RM for more than just a few months... Can it be successful like I described?

Not as you described, no. RMXP really isn't a utility for big brands etc. The majority of it's users are freelance teenagers just playing around. And it's fun even when you don't make a million dollars like you said. Make a game, and enjoy making it. After that, it doesn't really matter who else enjoyed it. ^~^

You could make a game yourself with something beyond RMXP and perhaps sell it, but making something in RMXP is so much more with it. You should totally go for RMXP with your school project; we'll all help you out.