New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Sign in to follow this  
Ravenclaw105

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

I've been looking for a scary horror game for some time and found out about Amnesia. At first I thought it was a point-and-click game but man, I sure was wrong.

This game must have been the most scary game I've ever played, seriously. Although it is annoying with all his flashbacks but still.

I quote a part of the story from Wikipedia:

The game casts the player in the role of Daniel, a young man from London, who awakens in the dark halls of Brennenburg Castle with little to no memory about himself or his past. All he can remember is his name and that something is hunting him.

Amnesia begins with Daniel waking up inside the old castle. Throughout the game, Daniel's situation and additional information about the backstory is found through diary entries and notes that the player can find during their journey, and flashbacks as Daniel recalls old memories of the castle. Shortly after waking, Daniel finds a note written by himself that explains how he purposely made himself forget his past, for reasons yet unknown. The note urges Daniel to descend into the castle's Inner Sanctum and murder a man named Alexander, the baron of the castle. The note gives a final warning that a "living nightmare" is chasing him, and Daniel must escape it for as long as he can.

In the game you'll face 3 different kinds of enemies.

Enemy 1: Called the Shadow, it doesn't have a form but it's always there hunting you. When it shrieks, some red organic substance appears which can harm you.

Enemy 2: Alexander's Servants, these hideous beasts are your biggest problem. Since you can't arm yourself you can't fight back, so when you spot one of these creatures, RUN and HIDE before they kill you. Dark corners with the lantern unlit would be your best option.

Enemy 3: Water Beasts, these can't be seen but they are in water areas. If you walk through the water, you will be attacked. So jumping on floating objects will save you. Throwing meat in the water will be a good distraction.

Now a quote about gameplay from Wikipedia:

Amnesia is an exploration-based adventure game played from a first-person perspective. The game retains the physical object interaction used in Penumbra, allowing for advanced physics based puzzles and interactions such as opening doors and fixing machinery.

Amnesia does not give the player access to weapons, giving them no defense against the gruesome creatures that wander Brennenburg Castle. Because of this, the player must use their wits to escape and hide from the monsters until they lose interest in finding them. Using the shadows to hide is recommended.

Separate from the player's health bar is an indication of the character's sanity. Being in darkness too long, witnessing unsettling events or staring at the monsters for too long will reduce your sanity. As the sanity level decreases, visual and audio hallucinations begin to take place and the player is noticed by monsters more easily. Using tinderboxes to light candles and other light sources, as well as a lantern found near the beginning of the game, the player can stop their sanity draining. However, the number of tinderboxes is limited and the lantern uses up oil and cannot be used once it runs out. This forces the player to find a balance between the amount of time they spend in light and shadow. Sanity is restored to full once the player completes an objective or progresses the game's story.

And here's a couple of screenshots:

PC Box Cover

Beautiful Scenario

Exploring with your Lantern

What on earth is that creature over there...

I highly recommend this game if you enjoy horror games. But if your easily frightened and don't like horror games, don't play it. I promise you'll be scared many times.

There are people who have quit playing because it's so scary, I myself managed to survive the entire game.

Too bad the game itself is so short...

Also, there are 3 different types of endings depending on what you do at the end, I won't spoil anything thought.

Sounds cool. I should look more into and play it. I might like it, because I, myself, love horror movies/games. Thanks, Ravenclaw. By the way, were you inactive for a period of time, it seems you are just now posting again today.

Yes, I've been very inactive. Mostly because of stress and depression, mostly because of what I wrote in this topic: http://www.rmxpunlimited.net/forums/topic/3936-bye-for-a-while/page__p__32330?do=findComment&comment=32330

But I'm trying to get more active, but it's hard.

Oh, I see. I will take a look at that topic.

EDIT: Oh, sorry to hear about that. I wasn't here during Jan. so I couldnt reply. But, sorry for the loss. Hope you are fully recovered now.

Edited by Ecowolfsteen

That's okay, unfortunally I can never be fully recovered. This will forever hunt me.

I will have my up and down days and currently my life is going straight down, but I keep fighting.

Although we're going a little off topic here now, if your going to play it, make sure to play in a dark room with high volume =)

As I said, it's a great game but even this game has a couple of negative stuff.

Mostly the flashbacks, they can get very annoying.