New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Sign in to follow this  
xzanabarx

Erasing Events Permanently

Question

I'm trying to create an introduction cutscene and I did the following (according to a post of neoseeker) on how to erase events permanently:

- I added a Control Self Switch Function to the bottom of the event.

- I made a new blank page and turned the same self switch on

- I used CCoa's UMS script but I doubt that could be an issue.

The event for the cutscene starts playing when the game starts and the player presses New Game and whem the cutscene transitions to another Map where the player can finally move about and they go back into the other map, the event begins to play again. Here are some screen shots to further explain my dilemma (I apologize in advance if they are too big):

Screen1.jpg

Screen2.jpg

Does this look okay? Or did I mess something up here.

Screen3.jpg

Scene4.jpg

How do I get the event shown in the first picture (top-left corner) to just play once and once alone (when the player selects New Game of course)

Thank you for your help!

8 answers to this question

in actuality

the erase event command removes the event completely

for the instance of the game

once you restart the game and choose new game or load game it will run again even if you saved after the event was restarted

the self switch method will keep the event from activating in the event that you have saved on the map with event and you load the game

(because you have saved the self switch)

The event will always be reloaded in a new game

to fix your issue, make it auto run and a make sure the ONLY TRIGGER for the second page is selfswitch A

Enigma, even I'm having a bit of trouble understand what you mean... :sweatdrop:

Well as far as I can see the even is setup properly. You may want to try setting the trigger to autorun though, but I'm not sure what effect that has on messages.

The even should not play over on another map, I've never actually had the happen before in any of my games... Are you sure you don't have a duplicate cutscene event on the 2nd map? Also check the trigger of the 2nd page of the cutscene event and make sure self switch A is set in the conditions part. If so, I can't see any reason the event would play again.

Enigma, even I'm having a bit of trouble understand what you mean... :sweatdrop:

Well as far as I can see the even is setup properly. You may want to try setting the trigger to autorun though, but I'm not sure what effect that has on messages.

The even should not play over on another map, I've never actually had the happen before in any of my games... Are you sure you don't have a duplicate cutscene event on the 2nd map? Also check the trigger of the 2nd page of the cutscene event and make sure self switch A is set in the conditions part. If so, I can't see any reason the event would play again.

Well the thing is that the catgirl goes into the room on the left and wakes up the main character... so I guess that would be a continuation of the cutscene on the 2nd map, but I use a different event for that and then I have a fade effect and the character is standing by the bed. Should I just not do that at all? I was kinda trying to do something like the intro of Chrono Trigger where Chrono is woken up by his mom.

Make the event auto run and then put the teleport code in directly(not through common event) use self switch when first cutscene is complete

I think you can solve the problem by swapping the common event call and self-switch command.

That said parallel processes stop once you transfer to a new map. I am not sure exactly when it will stop processing since the transfer is occuring in the common event.

I recommend using Autorun as Trigger since that captures player control while the intend of a parallel process is something which can run 'parallel' to whatever you are doing. (Time systems, burn on specific terrain tag, etc.)

Since the self-switch command relies on the current map you may still have to change it before you transfer to a new map.

It is worth noting that the page does not change immediately when you change the self-switch, it changes the page as a part of a map-update cycle.

You can have fun determining during which commands the page can change because it's not all ^_^ (There is a little safety feature which makes it more tedious to figure out)

P.s. If you use the Erase event command you'll have the event appearing again should you ever revisit the map.

*hugs*

@Enigma: How would I insert the teleport code directly? The only time I know how to do that is when the player touches an event that would teleport them to another map.

@Zeriab: How would I change the self-switch before transferring to a new map? I tried turning off the self swtich at the end of the event code, but when I go back into the room (the player sort of has to go back in there to get out of the house and continue with the story... its sort of Pokemon-esque) the self-switch turns on again. Thanks for the hug, btw!

I'm such a n00blet! ;___;

Are there any tutorials for this stuff on here or anywhere else you guys could point me to?

Edited by xzanabarx

Like Enigma said, try changing your event from 'Parallel Process' to 'Autorun'. And make the second page have nothing on it except for having the condition for a self-switch.

Edit: Oh, and, make sure everything happens before a 'Transfer Player' event, sometimes I've had it so things were meant to happen after that but they don't run, so if you have 'Tranfer Player' followed by 'Control Self-Switch' that could be your problem.

mbsitz.png

will work

NOTE MAKE IT AUTORUN!

all events commands will continue after the transfer command

the reason yours stops is because you call a common event for teleportation which is different from the one your running

Edited by Enigma