New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
FranklinX

The 2011 Best Game Trailer Contest Poll

The 2011 Best Game Trailer Contest  

33 members have voted

1. 1. The 2011 Best Game Trailer Contest

• Gamefreak's Battle for the Spheres
    • gRaViJa's Ascension
    • Broken Messiah's Revelations
    • madanchi's Lumis
    • rgangsta's Assassin's Fury

This is what you have been waiting for! Many members singed up for the contest but only five were brave enough to tackle the challenge! There can only be one champion! Who will be the Game Trailer Champion of 2011? Vote for the trailer you think is the best!

1st Place- $100

2nd Place- $50

3rd Place- $25

1.Gamefreak's Battle for the Spheres

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIXCA6zS120&feature=player_embedded

2.gRaViJa's Ascension

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQLgfarknw8&feature=player_embedded

3.Broken Messiah's Revelations

4.madanchi's Lumis

5.rgangsta's Assassin's Fury

Hi Guys Enigma here, typing up this review at 1:58 am without any helpful sugar

Im going to give my point of view on these game trailers submitted

I credit you for actually working to get these done and they are impressive, Also i wish my hdd didn't get messed up so I could participate but oh well

In General:

*Most trailers, where graphically nice I could tell their was alot of work put into them

*These trailers promote the game which is and important function of the trailer

*However, there is a distinct difference b/w a game trailer, game promo, and gameplay trailer

*Most of these are two long to be game trailers, shouldn't be any longer than 1:15 seconds, or it will probably lose the attention alot of attention

*Most of the trailer is coherent, stick together

now for individual judging

Game Freak:

The music choice is interesting, but its very bad to combine that with white text on black background, which is kind of boring. In fact, don't even waste your time explaining the story in the trailer thats not the point.

The most you should reveal are cryptic messages that are not understandable such as "The demon Arakai walks among us". This leaves the viewer wondering who the hell is Arakai? and What is this about? thus they want to play it. Hence the purpose of a game trailer.

Also 4 minutes is way to long for game trailer, DONT EVER show all your scripts and map set ups no one actually cares especially gamers who dont know about rpgmaker, and dont show random battles or explain that the battles are demos, you need to combine whats necessary and remove the extraneous.

Final Words: You make to many explanations about your game to the viewers, explanations that aren't neccessary. There is no reason to play the game if you know everything about it.

gRaViJa:

Graphically this trailer is the best. The music is also spot on and the time limit of 1:38 is adequate. However, this trailer makes one critical mistake. Starting at 0:23 it starts listing credits. Observe the first 0:03 seconds of Gamefreak and the first 0:30 seconds of Mandanchi's trailer. They list credits as well but in a way befitting of a trailer, your trailer would be perfect as the opening intro to your game. However, what mandanchi and Gamefreak do correctly is that they use the credits to introduce their game not to introduce themselves.

Gamefreak's credit introduces his game as A new RMVX game by Rm and mandachi introduces his as presented by lumis project, produced by mandachi in association with RMXPU.net, LUMIS!

The game play shots are good but the credits are nothing but obstructive, they end up being the main focus, which is bad, since the game is supposed to be the focus.

Also, the way you introduced your characters is ineffective, on a tv show it would be good since the characters arent interactive thus u must observe them, in a game trailer nobody cares about them until they play the game. DO NOT INTRODUCE THE CHARACTERS OF YOUR GAME, just the game itself. THE GAME WILL TAKE CARE OF THE CHARACTERS

Final Words: Focus on the game, not who made it

Broken Messiah:

Second best graphics, as well as third best music overall. However it makes a critical mistake that gRaViJa did. 0 to 16 seconds were promising but after that you spent 48 seconds introducing a single character, and then another character for 24 more seconds. if you had skipped from 0:16 to 1:47 with a nice transition without irrelevant story information it would be much better. This trailer somewhat introduces the game but inadequately promotes interest.

Final Words: Focus on introducing your game and making it interesting all around, your story, and characters are interesting, but based on the trailer I cant tell how interesting the game is.

Mandachi:

The best Game trailer here. Although, its much simpler than the others it succeeds and this is why. The graphics and music match the game perfectly even if it might not be the coolest. The trailer takes what makes the game intrusting, its weirdness and uniqueness, and exemplifies that. It explains nothing but gives them just enough info to want more. "The mind can be a dull but vivid place" is probably the best quote in any of the trailers as it does not explain the story nor the game but matches it. Its interesting and makes you want to play it. However, this trailer is not perfect. 0:32 seconds to introduce a game is nearly 5-10 times the needed amount.

Final Words: Work on the timing, game play shots?

rgansta:

Has a lot of potential but there are some issues. The gameplay is good but it makes the trailer seem alot more like a gameplay video especially with the unnecessary cut scene at the end. Plus it makes no sense to the viewer of how you went from running around to talking to some bartender, confusion lowers interests. Also this trailer lacks a hook which is meant to initially hold on the viewer interest. Without it, this game play dependent trailer becomes very weak.

Final Words:The use of Gameplay is a double edged sword, games are more than just game play. Without effective structuring its parts seem out of place.

gRaViJa:

Graphically this trailer is the best. The music is also spot on and the time limit of 1:38 is adequate. However, this trailer makes one critical mistake. Starting at 0:23 it starts listing credits. Observe the first 0:03 seconds of Gamefreak and the first 0:30 seconds of Mandanchi's trailer. They list credits as well but in a way befitting of a trailer, your trailer would be perfect as the opening intro to your game. However, what mandanchi and Gamefreak do correctly is that they use the credits to introduce their game not to introduce themselves.

Gamefreak's credit introduces his game as A new RMVX game by Rm and mandachi introduces his as presented by lumis project, produced by mandachi in association with RMXPU.net, LUMIS!

The game play shots are good but the credits are nothing but obstructive, they end up being the main focus, which is bad, since the game is supposed to be the focus.

Also, the way you introduced your characters is ineffective, on a tv show it would be good since the characters arent interactive thus u must observe them, in a game trailer nobody cares about them until they play the game. DO NOT INTRODUCE THE CHARACTERS OF YOUR GAME, just the game itself. THE GAME WILL TAKE CARE OF THE CHARACTERS

I understand your feedback, but you must understand that most of what you said was done on purpose:

I remade my introtrailer of my game for this contest. A trailer to purely promote a game shouldn't have credits indeed. But my trailer is meant as an opening as in any given television show, anime, visual novel... That's also the reason why i introduce the characters as i did: so it resembles an anime show/visual novel opening because this game has influences from mainly visual novels. So, what you said is correct, but if you know teh background i think you'll understand why i did things that way.

To be honest, I enjoyed gRaViJa's video the best. I think that with a video trailer competition there is room for different types of trailers and its really the cinematic effect that sells it. For example, you could show very little if any game play and have an amazing video, if even unrelated to the game, and people are still going to like that better.

It was close for me between gRaViJa and rgangsta. Though rgangsta, that video in your blog was really good too.

I had figured that I might have made that error, but I was going for a allusive story where it leaves the user to wonder what it is about after seeing the characters and grave, Good luck to everyone!

I understand your feedback, but you must understand that most of what you said was done on purpose:

I remade my introtrailer of my game for this contest. A trailer to purely promote a game shouldn't have credits indeed. But my trailer is meant as an opening as in any given television show, anime, visual novel... That's also the reason why i introduce the characters as i did: so it resembles an anime show/visual novel opening because this game has influences from mainly visual novels. So, what you said is correct, but if you know teh background i think you'll understand why i did things that way.

Ok, I get it. If this is the case I think its more suitable as an secondary trailer, one that would usually be displayed on a website, or the intro to the game itself.

I reviewed these as if they were commercial trailers on TV, since a trailer's fundamental purpose is to spark interest in said media piece. The cinematic itself are above par, but it won't do well catching initial interest, to me it was the first time seeing anything about the game and well even now i don't remember much from the trailer.

EDIT(In other words, this less you are familiar with this game, the less memorable and interesting it is. The cinematic, are the most interesting piece.)

Personally, for your next trailer I think you should focus on making the not just look cool, which helps spark initial interest, but employ some memorable scenes, to allow it to stick in the minds of viewers "less text the better"

Edited by Enigma

To be honest, I enjoyed gRaViJa's video the best. I think that with a video trailer competition there is room for different types of trailers and its really the cinematic effect that sells it. For example, you could show very little if any game play and have an amazing video, if even unrelated to the game, and people are still going to like that better.

It was close for me between gRaViJa and rgangsta. Though rgangsta, that video in your blog was really good too.

You saw my other trailer? :D I thought it might've been boring, though. Now I kind of regret it. :sweatdrop:

I see Exactly what your Saying about My Trailer, After Seeing Others and Ones On Youtube..

Those trailers, They Have you thinking of whats to come in the game when you play it.

I pretty much told the whole story, lol

It was like the trailer was THE Game...My Mistake and it won't ever happen Again.

And yes I agree To long..And I'm Sorry for showing Those Scripts. I guess I trying to impress everyone

wrong way of going at it.

By making this Trailer, Has crippled me...I shall walk again....

Until then, Thank you for the Advise on My Mistakes. I will Learn, I will get Better....

If I ever make another trailer I WILL USE your Advise!!! I"m listening, That's the Only way to Learn

Is Listen!!! On the Song, Big fan of "Peter Cetera"

Thank you for Letting me take a shot at this Contest!!!!

"GameFreak001" :alright: :alright:

Guest Allen Hunter

Oh who is going to win? Who is going to win? When does this contest end? Thank You.

Holy crap. Are the prizes in real money?!

And best of luck to everyone.

I wasn't able to view gamefreak's at all..

voted for gRaViJa's trailer, and sorry about not making a trailer, I have no PayPal and it wouldn't let me make one, but great job everyone and please let their be more contest like this in the near future. :)