New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

Windows XP vs Windows 7

Ok guys, next week I'm going to pick up my laptop, so long as nothing fell it on during a recent quake (which occurred 1 hour before I was supposed to pick it up).

Apparently they loaded on windows XP for me, which I like. I've been using XP for like 7 years and I'm sort of reluctant to move... I guess that makes me sound old :pinch: But I'm just really skeptical of anything that Microsoft is actually any good. I mean these are the people who made IE6. How do you lose a browser monopoly when your browser comes default with your software?

So yeah, is windows 7 any good? Better than my beloved XP?

Yes - I love everything about Win7. I have been using it since its RTM version. I am a system administrator, and dislike all of our WinXP system now. Easier to use, higher security, prettier XD Homegroups are a plus as well

Yes agreed. While I know EXACTLY why you are reluctant to switching from XP, Windows 7 imo, is essentially a WORKING version of vista. I don't know where Microsoft went wrong there (maybe it has something to do with releasing an OS before it's actually finished?) but now that I have gone 7, I can't go back to XP. Although I would suggest never getting Vista. I hated that POS. And although win7 is definitely more resource heavy than XP, as long as you get some decent specs it is a non-issue. I guess personal preference, but after going from Windows XP to vista back to XP to 7, I definitely LOVE 7 (well, as much as you can really love anything created by microsoft :sweatdrop: ) So basically Vista<Windows XP<Windows 7.

EDIT: actually its more like Vista<Windows 2000<Windows XP<Windows 7 just to emphasize how much I despise vista.

Edited by kellessdee

I use to be a big Xp fan. Now that I tried win7 I will never go back. XP sucks compared to win7. Never had any problems with any program on 7. Win7 is the way to go. This is coming from a computer repair person(me).

there are things i like about each, but i'd go with 7

luckily for you, rmxp works on win7 click here for instructions on how to do that

EDIT: actually its more like Vista<Windows 2000<Windows XP<Windows 7 just to emphasize how much I despise vista.

i have a broken laptop somewhere that had windows 95. its so old!

I don't know anything about vista so...

windows 95<2k<XP<7

Edited by Bob423

Weird, I never had to do any funny to get RMXP on my windows 7...Thankfully though, as I would've been quite irritated.

EDIT: LOLL that must be some crazy nostalgia! I never even thought to include 95 in the mix. I guess vista technically would be better than 95, but at least 95 would provide nostalgia whereas vista just pisses me off ahha

Edited by kellessdee

Weird, I never had to do any funny to get RMXP on my windows 7...Thankfully though, as I would've been quite irritated

Me either. Never had to do anything with rmxp to get it to work. Even had no problems getting it to work on Linux.

lies, my friend could not get it to work at all. then again he got it from a fash drive i stuck in his laptop

It works fine on linux? With or without a windows emulator?

just using wine. no issues using rmxp with it from what I found.

I use Win XP still, although i would use Win 7 if i didn't have some issues with gaming with it than i did with XP,

Modern PC = Win 7

A little outdated but can run Win 7 but cant run some things you want to = Stay with Win XP

But some games, do work although I had some problems with video issues, I guess I will need to update my graphics card before I reinstall Win 7, actually when I get a job im just probaly gona update to an alienware laptop or a better Custom Desktop, that way I can enjoy most things I want to, but other than that if you have a high spec PC go with Win 7, if you don't have a good updated system stay with Win XP, or just wait till end of year 2012 and wait for Win 8...

I only use win7 and linux, win7 is more looks than works compared to xp, personally i cant stand windows I only use it for photoshop and games

I would use linux as a virtual OS, but I still need to know the basics on how to use linux coding and how to install stuff, just the basics; but I know linux is like the safest OS a person can use now and days but it does have a issue of finding drivers and to play games on using some sort of Wine emulation and sorts... plus the memory usage is so low that I want to use linux but I would fail in so many ways because I can't comprehend coding and stuff that's in that kind of format, espically when looking at certain files that are .tar and etc...

Yes and No. Last Christmas I bought a windows 7 Desktop and installed it and the next day, I started to play with it and noticed something. The Paint program is different due to realistic Brushes. Like a Marker or a crayon. The XP paint is much better and easier than that hunk 'o' junk. Rather than a few downers Windows 7 is awesome. Even though it's looks like an improved vista. I rate it :4: out of :5:.

Yes and No. Last Christmas I bought a windows 7 Desktop and installed it and the next day, I started to play with it and noticed something. The Paint program is different due to realistic Brushes. Like a Marker or a crayon. The XP paint is much better and easier than that hunk 'o' junk. Rather than a few downers Windows 7 is awesome. Even though it's looks like an improved vista. I rate it :4: out of :5:.

Please look at the date of the last post before posting next time. You have been necro posting lots lately. Next time i will issue a warning.