New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Gergoth

Making an Online Game?

Question

I've seen many ways on making online games using RMXP such as mnetplay but I have no luck i finding any links. Is it actually possible to make an MORPG using RMXP with a few other softwares? If so how? Links will be appreciated.

14 answers to this question

It is possible, check out RPG Maker XP Online, however I should say that I have seen dozens of would be online games die because of little popularity, diversity, and all the hard work that goes into such a endeavor. Also another piece of advice; dont use the RTP.

One that I had seen called Duality VX Online got almost to the Open Beta. But that's as far as most go.

IMO I do not think the rpg maker xp is the correct platform for mmorpgs. To create/sustain a proper, good mmo one would need stable servers, frequent updates and a large enough player base. Plus you would probably want a non-turnbased battle system and a lot of other things that rmxp isn't *that* efficient with. In my mind, creating one's own engine, getting a proper server and what not would probably be the better bet for creating an mmo. Although, if you wish to create one through rmxp, then all the power to you and good luck

Broken is right. Most if not all online games for RPG Maker are ABS orientated.

Is there a script where it changes the battle system so that the player doesn't so much as 'encounter' a monster and go into a battle scene but more of like being able to see the enemies and fighting them directly?

Wait...Nevermind, I'm using Mr. Mo's ABS system but I keep getting errors with the script such as:

Script 'Mr. Mo's ABS V4.5' line 135: NameError occured.

uninitialized constant Input::Letters

I checked his demo and it worked perfectly fine but it doesn't seem to work when I implement the script into mine? Is there something I'm missing?

Blizz ABS is better and easier to use.

Oh yeah, it turns out it was the order that was the problem ^^ But when I try to test it it gives me:

Unable to find Graphics/Pictures/mapback

Am I missing something?

An error such as that would mean you are missing some kind of picture file called "mapback" that belongs in the Pictures folder...did the place you get the script from link to any image files you need?

Hmm, I don't see why it wouldn't be. Mind you I also haven't really looked at any mode 7 scripts so I don't exactly know how they work :/ but the best thing you can do is try it out! If it works, cool if not just take out mode 7 or maybe try another ABS?

Although to me it seems like battling enemies in mode 7 maybe difficult..depending on how it is done