New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Sign in to follow this  
Calamity

Reach the goal! how?

Question

I've been in many several project, my latest RPG was cancelled and i really want to finally finish an RPG. the problem is probably the

visions i have and how hard they actually are to reach, but i was really wondering if anyone has any tip on how to stay away from

"the cancelling cycle"

PM or post here, anything would help really

3 answers to this question

Ahaha, that happens to all of us! The trick is to plan out your whole game from start to end, the storyline, game play, everything! You may not know how to reach the next step, but at the very least, you know what you're doing! You can always ask for help on this forum, I feel that everyone here is 100% reliable. There can be many reasons as to why one can feel like canceling such as stress, lack of time, scripts pissing you off,boredom, etc. As long as you know the reason as to why you feel like stopping a project, you can always think of a way to counter it. The way I see it, you originally planned to make this kick-ass game and stuff. Everyone has a plan like that, but then, you realise that it's too difficult. All you need to do is just practise. Play around with RMXP/VX a little. You can always ask for help in the forum if you meet a hiccup. Read tutorials, stuff like that. I know the feeling of not knowing what to do and eventually giving up. If you're just getting the hang of it, keep it simple! Don't expect yourself to create a world-class game within just a few weeks. It takes time and effort to make a good game.

I'm not sure if any of my tips will help you, but I sure hope you cure yourself from 'The canceling cycle'

I believe what gergoth said is right on the nose.

The only other tips i may offer:

I find myself lose interest because I sometimes will come up with new "better" ideas. I find working on a couple things at once helps to keep interest, jumping back and forth between them as I lose interest in one. This can possible become overwhelming, so be careful if you try it.

Otherwise, I think you should definitely take gergoth's advice to try to break the cancelling cycle. Either way, cancelled projects aren't entirely for loss; they are a learning experience. I have been using rpg maker since 95 and haven't really released a game before, only because of coming up with new ideas WAY too often, and I thus scrap the old project. Right now I am actually working on 2 actual games...I haven't gotten very far in development (for various reasons) however I still come up with ideas for them every now and again and I write them down every time. I haven't lost interest and don't plan on cancelling.

You also have to remember that it takes a LONG time to make a quality game, especially since you are one developer. I remember first seeing videos for zelda: twilight princess before I even heard of the wii...and It was a launch title for the wii. I think it had over 6 years in development...and they have a full development team. So you must also be willing to dedicate a lot of time to create a good game.

good luck!

Thank you both, i will definetly try out various of ways.

I am currently adding various ideas to my concept game, and still in doubt of wheter using RMXP or VX

but i love the things you guys are pointing out, i will most definatly try out the tips i have been getting.