New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Bob423

the download manager isn't working

for some reason, whenever i try to upload something, it gives me an error message saying that i didn't select a file, when i clearly did.

I did that, and then, like i said, it gives me an error message saying that i didn't select a file.

Do people still use that thing? It's been awfully unpopular, sadly. Perhaps because its so buggy. As with the gallery, I did an upgrade which (unknown to me) made the html outdated which could potentially cause the problem. You may think, that doesn't sense, but it may a form elements ID is different which would then cause it to not show up in the POST vars.

I've been meaning to replace the HTML, but then my mid-terms came up and my laptop imploded, but I'll get onto this tonight for you. No promises this is the issue though, but I hope to fix it up.

EDIT: Ok I've replaced the HTML. I tested an upload which uploaded successfully. Are you using the flash uploader or do you select the file and it uploads AFTER you click submit?

do you select the file and it uploads AFTER you click submit?

yes

i was also trying to update a download if that helps

i tried to upload an image attachment to this post using the flash uploader, and i got the same error message.

but this is what happened when i used the flash uploader for the downloads manager

Ah same thing. I'm pretty stumped. I don't really look at IPB's code, I'm more of a joomla person. I know this isn't any consolation, but I'm probably going to write my own downloads manger to remove the necessary crap of IPB, and finally get a downloads manager that actually works.

What browser are you using? The flash upload isn't compatible with all browsers. With errors like these you eliminate all the obvious causes first, so lets take a step back and see if that helps...

Im using chrome, i'll try it in FireFox

nope, not even in FireFox :(

Edited by Bob423

I could upload the file for you, but I do not have a solution for this at the moment. I will go away and post on a support forum, but it would be unusual for one of my topics to get a reply. I usually have to figure out everything myself.

Alright, i'll pm you a link. can't do it now tho. my dad took away my computer and im using my phone

Do people still use that thing? It's been awfully unpopular, sadly. Perhaps because its so buggy. As with the gallery, I did an upgrade which (unknown to me) made the html outdated which could potentially cause the problem. You may think, that doesn't sense, but it may a form elements ID is different which would then cause it to not show up in the POST vars.

I've been meaning to replace the HTML, but then my mid-terms came up and my laptop imploded, but I'll get onto this tonight for you. No promises this is the issue though, but I hope to fix it up.

EDIT: Ok I've replaced the HTML. I tested an upload which uploaded successfully. Are you using the flash uploader or do you select the file and it uploads AFTER you click submit?

Ah same thing. I'm pretty stumped. I don't really look at IPB's code, I'm more of a joomla person. I know this isn't any consolation, but I'm probably going to write my own downloads manger to remove the necessary crap of IPB, and finally get a downloads manager that actually works.

What browser are you using? The flash upload isn't compatible with all browsers. With errors like these you eliminate all the obvious causes first, so lets take a step back and see if that helps...

You running IPB 3.1.2 or IPB 3.1.4? I heard they made an update for IP Download and Gallery to work with 3.1.4. If so then perhaps your IPB version is the issue If you have an older one).

Edited by Kage Kazumi

Yeah, I know of that compatibility issue. So that cannot be it. We've had problems with it since the beginning, its so frustrating.

By the way Kage, check out the IPB3.2 teaser, its sweeeet.