New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

Going to be busy for a while

Hey guys,

I just wanted to make an announcement to say I'll be pretty inactive for a while and I'll have to stop working on the updates and stuff I've been working on for a while now.

It's nearing the end of the semester for NZ universities so I gotta get stuck in the books. It's been pretty hard since we started because of an earthquake shaking up the city. Consequently my uni was shut for 3 weeks, then when we came back we were forced into tents. Fortunately I'm not a first year so i got most classes in a building. It's been a term and a quarter, and today was the first we've had a library open on campus. We got about 5 days for a term break, which was over a 4 day public holiday. So due to that I've missed tons of classes and got heaps to catch up on. It's basically 5 and a half weeks of cramming for me.

After my exams I'll try and study consistently so I can work on my new projects for the site and actually get something finished. I must apologize for all the things I've been talking about and having nothing to show for it yet.

I'm probably keen to let someone take over for a while. But I there arn't too many active that I trust enough, perhaps when I few staff come back.

I'll try to post sometimes though. I really don't believe anyone can study so hard they can't spare 5 minutes to browse a site. :P At least I don't study that hard, its against my beliefs.

:o Oh wow, I remember you mentioning an earthquake a lil bit ago, but didn't realize how serious it was! I'm glad you're okay though, that's the important part. Does NZ get earthquakes often? (sudden realization that I don't know much about the rest of the world)

Also, school is more important than this website; So I wish you good luck!

It was kinda bad. I was in uni when it happened, and 186 people died from it. It was an extremely shallow quake, but the city is built on reclaimed land (previously a swamp, don't ask why they did that) which means when a quake comes, buildings are screwed. The south island of NZ (where I live) is on the line where two tectonic plates meet, so yes earthquakes are common in NZ. However I'm 20 and last years 7.1 was the first quake I ever experienced, and i actually had no idea it was a quake. I sleep in a sleepout and that quake (this is another from the one that killed all those people, possibly the second quakes trigger) hit at 4am and I ran outside coz I thought my room was coming down on me, but still had no idea what was going on.

If the ground shakes from the aftershocks, the people here don't even bother acknowledging it, its so common. In total, there have been more than 5,000 aftershocks since the original 7.1 in September 2010. But the aftershocks are slowly dying down. Only when a quake is 5 and there's some decent shake, then you think: do I need to take cover? At first whenever something shook the building, say a heavy car or strong wind or whatever, your heart goes. Because that quake that killed people started with a loud noise, then violent shaking. So if you hear that rumbling, you're wondering if we're going again. Since there were 2 major quakes 5 months apart, people are going to think another is going to come. After the first one it was a bit exciting, no one died, and we thought that was it. But no, another came, buildings crumbled and people died.

Still though, nothing compared to japan's disaster. But what is really interesting is the peak ground acceleration of Japan's 9.0 quake was 2.7g, while our quake was 2.2g. Ours was extremely shallow. Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_ground_acceleration#Notable_earthquakes (our quake is the 2011 Christchurch earthquake, also on the list is the 2010 Canterbury earthquake which is the 7.1 I've been talking about)

And thanks, i was originally planning to study and work on the site when I could, but I'm just going to wait till i finish my exams. :)

Sorry for typing so much :pinch: I know you'll read it, but most members can't be bothered to read that much :P

Here's a video of just moments after the quake, yeah, that was a shit day. My parents and my older brother were all here when it happened. I thought they were dead, and got a little depressed until my brother came to get me, when then went to look for our dad, but he wasn't there, so we drive home and found our parents. Phew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfcWraeZvcw

do the work! good luck at catching up, if anyone knows how immense stress, pressure and catching up with work feels like, its me... Nearly had a break down i got so late in work, and the stress is unbelievable, just do work morning day and night, thats all i could do, oh, and an all nighter which was a drag :(

And i feel so bad for what happened to both NZ and Japan, truely horrible, thankfully your good from the quake and able to go on rxmpu :D but yeah, dont bother with the site if youve got work to do, work just takes priority by a million, hence why im not that active recently

oh and i read it all :)

Wow. It's times like these I am truly thankful to live where I do, the worst I worry about is shitty weather and brutal winters. I can't even imagine the feeling of not knowing where loved ones might be, and wondering whether they may be alive. I am very glad to hear your family is okay; and I hope you didn't lose anyone close to you.

I am shocked that I didn't hear anything about this on the news at all. I don't follow it very much, but I usually hear it from my mom or other people who do. North American media has been too focused on Bin Laden's death.

Let's just hope that's the end of it for a long time. That's a short period of time for 2 large scale earthquakes. I have still have the shivers from that video, something about seeing people truly distressed always shakes me up.

Hope everything goes well. You have nothing to worry about the site is in good hands.

You study and we will take care of it all.

Good luck Marked. :alright:

Hope all that studying pays off in the end haha.

Good luck with your courses. I'm also kind of shocked that I diddnt hear anything about the quakes either but as kellessdee mentioned the news as been busy with Bin Laden's death. I'm sure we will all still be here when you get back so no worries :alright:.

Thanks everyone, I'm a lazy student, but I still aim high in terms of grades :P

This earthquake actually happened nearly 3 months ago... I made a topic on that day about it, a few of you heard of it: http://www.rmxpunlimited.net/forums/topic/6530-christchurch-earthquake/ I guess since we're so far away from the northern hemisphere they didn't pay much attention to it. Maybe we got a 1 minute air time or something like that :P

Yeah that video is pretty bad. That part of the city that its showing is near where my mum was. I was stuck on campus listening to the radio from my friends car, and they're saying people are dead and trapped in buildings in the CBD which is where she was.

@Franklin: Before July is when I'll have a break, hopefully a long one :)

Hey marked, do you have an MSN, AIM, gmail, ro something? This way I can get you those IndieBurn website files a lot easier and faster and stuff. This way I will more than likely be more active here as well. its how I work, lol.

Alrighty, I added you to MSN. I am usually up really late (3 AM, my time), so our time zone differences shouldnt matter much.