New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Noob Saibot

[P12]Engine--RMXP or RMVX

p2012_banner-xp-vx_vs.png

RMXPU Community,

The first order of P12 is to as a community decides what engine should be used to create the game. Feel free to post your Pro’s and Con’s for using RPG Maker VX or RPG Maker XP. However, please keep in mind that the engine needs to be readily available to all members so for this reason P12 is limited to RMXP or RMVX.

*This is not a POLL because I won't to know why you want to use it; simply saying, "RPG Maker VX, because I own it," is not good enough and will be ignored and not count toward a vote!

Also I have decided to place a time limit on this topic. The community has 7 days from 15 AUG 2011 to vote, debate, etc. The topic will then be closed and moved and a new topic will appear announcing the software to be used. I have set this topic to close automatically on 23 AUG 2011.

v/Respectfully,

Noob Saibot/Kage Kazumi (P12 Leader)

Edited by Noob Saibot

RPG Maker XP, because I own it :P

JK, but really its hard to decide.

1. If were looking for good looking maps; RMXP
  2. Easier Database: RMVX
  3. Some say VX has a better scripting system, however I'm used to XP
  4. I prefer XP graphics over VX, however VX does have more options like worldmap and airship
  5. Eventing is mostly the same with slit differences
  6. Easier to map in XP with more layers
  7. Mostly everything else is the same, but I maybe wrong.

So I would chose XP, just because I'm more used to it.

Well, considering there aren't too many differences between the engines...it's hard to make a useful PROs/CONs list.

Really, what it comes down to are:

-Mapping

-Graphics Style

-RGSS1 vs. RGSS2

Mapping is very limited in VX, however through the use of "Parallax Mapping" (i think that's what they call it) this can be overcome (and actually make much nicer maps..also parallax mapping is possible in XP)

Graphics Style: This is kind of a moot point, as ANY style can be used in either makers; however, based on resources available, VX tends to lean to a more chibi style

Really, what it all comes down to is (wow I just contradicted myself lol) the difference in class Libraries used between the 2 makers. Overall, RGSS2 is a much better library, however, the differences are not necessarily a necessity.

RGSS2, if available through the player's video hardware (and only in fullscreen) uses double buffering; resulting in smoother animations. Also, RGSS2 no longer crashes when a script lags too hard (unlike RGSS1) (although useful for debugging, any script that lags that hard, should not be used or fixed before using)

RGSS2 has added methods to a few classes/modules=>

• Fadein/Fadeout - Easily Fade the screen in/out (without actually transitioning)
  • Snap to bitmap - Can capture the entire screen into a bitmap
  • Bitmap blurring - You can do simple box blurs OR radial blurs
  • Gradient Fills - You can draw gradient rectangles onto bitmaps without having to write a script (therefore, MUCH faster)[/li]
  • Sprite Wave Effects - You can create a Raster Scroll Wave effect with sprites
  • Font Shadows - You can draw text with shadows, without need of a script
  • Multiple Default Fonts - You can specify multiple default fonts, the first font that is installed on the player's PC will be used
  • Font Folder - You can use fonts directly from a folder, so the player doesn't HAVE to install custom fonts
  • Viewport Association - Sprites/Windows/Etc. can be moved between multiple viewports
  • Windows Open/Close - You can make windows have an open/close effect

There may be more, however those are the main RGSS differences

Also:

VX has vehicles (without need of script), and VX can use 2 different battle animation files for one animation.

So, overall it seems VX is a bit better than XP. The one crippling feature is the limited mapping, but like I said; all you need is a bit of effort and with parallax mapping maps can be beautiful. In fact, it may generally be easier to parallax map, the only difficulty is trying to keep the maps lined up with the 32x32 grid. And if you don't like the chibi styles (I really don't...although I dislike both maker's default graphics for the most part) any character graphics can be used, they just need to be formatted to work in RPG Maker.

However, though, when it comes down to it, won't the engine have to be whatever engine those working on this project have? I mean, I doubt anyone is going to go out and buy one of the engines JUST to work on this project. Just a thought though (I know not everyone is going to be eventing/mapping/databasing/scripting; but those who will be, will need the engine this project is being made in).

EDIT:

Pretty much all of the differences can be overcome in either engine; even without scripting knowledge.

With scripting knowledge, even better. The only things that probably can't be overcome would be things like blurring/other graphics heavy things added in VX...well they could, but then we are talking about knowing C, and how to extend the ruby libraries with it.

Okay here's my real list on the RMXPvs.RMVX debate espially after looking at kellessdee :sweatdrop:

Anyways here's the Cons and Pros of both systems:

RMXP vs. RMVX

(Note: The general concensus is that RMXP is best for the more advanced user, and VX is best for novice users, when relying on the default settings and resources.)

RPG MAKER XP

POINTS OF INTEREST

•  
  • Price: Free to try, $60USD to buy
  • Released in 2005
  • Features RGSS, a script editor component to make your own systems
  • Has an add-on Run Time Package (RTP) with lots of basic resources
  • Is the old generation of editor, therefore updates/patches will likely never occur again
  • The Default Battle System (DBS) is a first-person view, with monster graphics and party member graphics, and a less textual approach, akin to classic Final Fantasy games

PROS

•  
  • Adding tilesets, charsets, windowskins, and other graphics, is a total breeze. Just name it anything, import the file, alter some settings in the editor, and you're good to go.
  • You can use any tileset on any map using any 256 x [to any long length] pixel image you like.
  • There are 3 layers and 5 main priority settings, making it easy to use larger sprites or tall buildings, or surfaces with custom objects on them.
  • You can use multiple windowskins easily, and change them at a whim.
  • A MASSIVE library of RGSS scripts and custom graphics/music has propagated on the forum over the last few years, so you're very likely to find the system(s) and resource(s) you need, or atleast a good base to learn from/work with.
  • You can set terrain tags, adding some depth to battles, evented systems, and possibly scripted systems.

CONS

•  
  • Learning how to appropriately use all 3 layers, and set priorities, is a chore for beginners.
  • Many familiar eventing options, such as panoramas and side-view battle systems, are no longer available. However, many scripts exist to overcome these shortcomings.
  • If you like to use panorama maps instead of tilesets, that is very difficult to do as the image doesn't appear on the map editor.
  • The RTP has become so hackneyed to use over the years, many people don't like it.
  • It lacks evented vehicle/airship support, and the RTP lacks an overworld map tileset, so you'll need to look online to find an equivalent.
  • There is no face graphic support without utilizing a custom script.
  • Panoramas can only be animated by using custom scripts.

RPG MAKER VX

POINTS OF INTEREST

•  
  • Price: Free to try, $60USD to buy
  • Released in 2008
  • Features RGSS2, an "enhanced" script editor component to make your own systems
  • Has an add-on Run Time Package (RTP) with lots of basic resources
  • Is the new generation of editor, therefore updates/patches will likely occur eventually
  • The Default Battle System (DBS) is a first-person view, with monster graphics (but no party member graphics), and a more text-based approach akin to classic Dragon Quest games

PROS

•  
  • If you like to use panorama maps instead of tilesets, that is very easy to do as the image appears on the map editor.
  • The RTP features very smooth tilesets and charsets reminiscent of classic-era RPGs, and hasn't yet become terribly commonplace in games to the point of exhaustion.
  • Windowskins now have a neat extra layer for adding scanlines or designs behind your message/menu text.
  • RGSS2 is more forgiving and is easier/more streamlined to script with.
  • The interface looks cleaner, more organized, and nicer aesthetically.
  • Most of RMXP's eventing functions have reappeared, including a few from older generations (RM2K3) that were missing in RMXP.
  • Many agree that mapping is a great deal simpler and faster due to the smaller RTP and the absence of layer toggling, and the increased use of Autotiles.
  • Shadows are automatically created for you, so there's no need to worry about mapping in shadows or adding them to charsets.
  • Vehicles, airships, and an overworld-size tileset have made a return, making it easy for you to make a classic-style world map on the fly.
  • Face graphics have made a return from RM2K3, allowing the user to make more interesting messages without ever installing custom scripts.

CONS

•  
  • Adding tilesets, charsets, windowskins, and other graphics, is a total pain in the butt. You only get 5 tilesets, and naming charsets and using windowskins can be tricky when you're first learning.
  • Although scripts exist to overcome the editor's tileset shortcomings in your game, they do nothing to your work in the editor.
  • Unless you use a script, you can only use one windowskin.
  • RMVX hasn't been out for very long, so the list of custom resources and scripts is smaller than RMXP's.
  • Instead of 3 layers, there is one layer per tileset "tab" (A through E).
  • Unless you find a script to change it, the custom tileset's size is not unlimited like rmxp's.
  • The RTP music, in general opinion, is a big step down in quality. You should be replacing it with your own anyway.
  • Some very useful eventing commands present in RMXP have not carried over (such as Key Input). There are scripts to get around those shortcomings for the most part, however.
  • It's difficult for "natural" tileset maps to avoid looking "blocky" or "jaggy", because most things are done with autotiles.
  • Larger-template sprites generally suffer passability/clipping issues.
  • Fogs can only be used via custom scripts.

Edited by bigace

Wow, very good Pros/Cons list. I didn't realize a lot of these differences existed :/

only one thing (just because I am super nerd :o)

RGSS2 is more forgiving and is easier/more streamlined to script with.

It's not any more or less forgiving than RGSS1 (although Ruby is a REALLY forgiving programming language in general). It's not any easier to script with, it just has some cool additions. I guess some things are easier, like fading in/out, waiting (the Graphics module comes with a wait method...but that is kinda moot as:

Graphics.wait(number_of_frames)

is the same as

number_of_frames.times { Graphics.update } 

)

*stops being an annoying nerd, with all his technicalities*

edit:

Some very useful eventing commands present in RMXP have not carried over (such as Key Input).

Really? REALLY? Man, it must be near impossible to event custom systems in VX. That's brutal.

Wow, very good Pros/Cons list. I didn't realize a lot of these differences existed :/

only one thing (just because I am super nerd :o)

It's not any more or less forgiving than RGSS1 (although Ruby is a REALLY forgiving programming language in general). It's not any easier to script with, it just has some cool additions. I guess some things are easier, like fading in/out, waiting (the Graphics module comes with a wait method...but that is kinda moot as:

Graphics.wait(number_of_frames)

is the same as

number_of_frames.times { Graphics.update } 

)

Well VX does have that note box in the database that connects with the scripting system

Well VX does have that note box in the database that connects with the scripting system

OH YEA. good point.

I guess the real technicality is that it IS easier than RGSS1. Not much, but alas it is easier.

I guess I nerd failed myself

Well, considering there aren't too many differences between the engines...it's hard to make a useful PROs/CONs list.

Do you know how wrong this statement is?

Nice Pro and Con list, but you failed to mention which engine you would like us to use.

Edited by Noob Saibot

Nice Pro and Con list, but you failed to mention which engine you would like us to use.

Actually I did its in my first post.

Edited by bigace

Is there any point of listing all con's and pro's to decide which one someone should use?

RMVX is actually a better engine as RMXP, doesn't mean people should change to RMVX. I myself like RMXP more.

Do you know how wrong this statement is?

No I do not, otherwise I wouldn't make it. Whats wrong, the pros cons list part or lack of major differences?

If it's the lack of major differences, look at my and big ace's post. There really isn't that much different between the two engines.

The major differences are PURELY visual, which I refuse to see as major differences anyways, considering most of the visuals used in either program can be achieved in the other, quite easily.

Unless you are referring to the "default scripts." Yes, they have changed a lot between engines; but the essential concept to HOW they work has remained the same.

The only differences that cannot EASILY be overcome are the differences between RGSS1 and RGSS2; but you can actually use RGSS2 in Rpg Maker xp...you just have to rewrite a few default scripts.

EDIT:

also...

However, though, when it comes down to it, won't the engine have to be whatever engine those working on this project have? I mean, I doubt anyone is going to go out and buy one of the engines JUST to work on this project. Just a thought though (I know not everyone is going to be eventing/mapping/databasing/scripting; but those who will be, will need the engine this project is being made in).

no, no no no no no. we are not doing this with VX. otherwise i will not be a part of it. i do not own VX, and do not have the money to buy it. that is my reason, because i would really like to be a part of this. i dont feel i need another reason, because this reason over-rules all my other reasons. which include a better mapping system.

RMXP Community,

This is the issue that comes about when doing a community project and is the reason why I said comments such as, “I do not own it,” will be ignored. Because you do not need either software to help contribute to the project.

v/Respectfully,

Is there any point of listing all con's and pro's to decide which one someone should use?

RMVX is actually a better engine as RMXP, doesn't mean people should change to RMVX. I myself like RMXP more.

It is not meant as to see which is better, but to gather the opinion of why each individual would rather use RMXP over RMVX (for example).

No I do not, otherwise I wouldn't make it. Whats wrong, the pros cons list part or lack of major differences?

Don't look at it as a Pro or Con instead list everything you can do in RMXP and RMVX with out using a script. You will find the differences are quite big.

if your just going to ignore the fact that i cant help if i dont have the program you are going to use, (if you use vx) then forget you. and why wont you take my reason? if you ignore this to, im going to be so mad! :angry:

if your just going to ignore the fact that i cant help if i dont have the program you are going to use, (if you use vx) then forget you. and why wont you take my reason? if you ignore this to, im going to be so mad! :angry:

Some one needs a chill pill as you missed this:

Because you do not need either software to help contribute to the project.

and you can't say you didn't because if you did see it you wouldn't of posted that in such a lolzy way.

Bob423,

What software you do or don’t have doesn’t matter in this case. Simply, because logically you can do just about anything to help contribute without needing either software or one or the other:

1) Graphic-- a person doesn’t need either software to contribute graphics be they original creations or found on the internet. All they need to know is what style the art is for each software. Finding resources works the same way: RMVX Resources or RMXP Resources in Google can find graphics and all without the person needing to own the software.

2) Events-- even Events can be replicated from one software to another. It is not hard, just time consuming. So, you don’t even need one or the other to create Events as you can make them in one, and they can be converted to work in another.

3) Mapping-- with some simple editing even title sets can be created in either software (more limited in VX) and replicated to another.

4) Media-- sound and music also do not require you to own either software to contribute.

5) Scripts-- you do not need either software to suggest an already pre-made scripts. As for creating an all-new script then yes you would need one of the software, but case in point you don’t need either to suggest a script, thus contributing your input as a member.

6) Testing-- you do not need either software to test/play them either and Beta Testing is contributing as well.

7) Writing-- you don’t need either to help with story, plot, characterization, etc.

Overall no matter how you slice it, it is not important that a member owns the software to be used.

v/Respectfully,

Edited by Noob Saibot

sigh...fine. and yes i saw that, but if i cant work with an engine directly its very hard, and i dont think i'll do it at all.

sigh...fine. and yes i saw that, but if i cant work with an engine directly its very hard, and i dont think i'll do it at all.

Well as of now the votes total is:

RMXP--- 3

RMVX--- 3

Tie!

Plus I still have my contest as well where a License for RMXP and VX is up for grabs.

Not to mention there is nothing wrong with acquiring the software you need by other means as long as you delete from your computer or buy it later. I did this with RMVX and then bought it, same with RMXP when it was released.

Edited by Noob Saibot

>>

<_<

This sucks....

HEY, I HATE TO BE THE TIE BREAKER SO CAN SOMEONE ELSE PLEASE VOTE

Personally and professionally I vote for Rpg Maker XP

I have both programs on my laptop, which is currently in repair but I simply have more experience working with XP, I prefer that editor.

I'll be fine regardless seeing as I plan to work mainly on story anyway, and as an eventer I might as well learn VX.

Furthermore even though graphics are aren't really an issue, I prefer RMXP style to RMVX's chibi style and the reality of it is even if we sprite new characters we don't have the resources/manpower yet to change the sprite style of an entire game. The way things are looking now, I would expect rtp style to be the style of the choice and since I prefer RMXP's RTP to RMVX's RTP I believe this is a valid reason to vote for XP.

And while I do agree with Franklin and Marked about using this to increase the sites VX exposure, I believe that is going to take a lot more than that for us to compete with other vx sites like rmvxmaker.net which currently has a lot more active users than we do already. :unsure:

FWI: From further investigation it appears that rmvxmaker.net is a RMVX only forum, in fact there are no other forums specific to any other game maker besides RMVX :mellow:

Update,

New Count:

RMXP--- 4

RMVX--- 3

Also I have decided to place a time limit on this topic. The community has 7 days from 15 AUG 2011 to vote, debate, etc. The topic will then be closed and moved and a new topic will appear announcing the software to be used. I have set this topic to close automatically on 22 AUG 2011.

v/Respectfully,

Edited by Noob Saibot

Update,

New Count:

RMXP--- 5

RMVX--- 3

Also I have decided to place a time limit on this topic. The community has 7 days from 15 AUG 2011 to vote, debate, etc. The topic will then be closed and moved and a new topic will appear announcing the software to be used. I have set this topic to close automatically on 23 AUG 2011.

v/Respectfully,

My take of the two would pretty much be this. VX for begginers and xp for people with dome experience and would like to be able to put a lot more detail into everything. When i first started VX was a lot easier for me to get a hang of even the eventing. I had a easier time with VX with the simpler looking menu.

overall program i would probably say.... XP.

But for beginners trying to learn.... VX.

The question of who has which engine is interesting. While there is work one can do without having the engine if twice as many people have access to one engine over the other it should be considered when choosing the engine to use.

Another thing to consider is which style you prefer. I am not talking about how it is to develop in one engine over the other, but rather the style of the game as perceived by the player. RMXP games and RMVX games have a different feel about them. Of course you can change it completely, but not staying with the style of the resources provided will take way more time and energy than following it.

*hugs*

Update,

Alright it is coming down to the wire here so I have added my vote as well. Please also remember that even if you don't own the final software you can still participate. This is true no matter what you may wish to help in because truth be told you can always download it temporarily (pirated) if needed (after all it is an option).

New Count:

RMXP--- 6

RMVX--- 5

Also I have decided to place a time limit on this topic. The community has 7 days from 15 AUG 2011 to vote, debate, etc. The topic will then be closed and moved and a new topic will appear announcing the software to be used. I have set this topic to close automatically on 23 AUG 2011. It will close based on the time setting you picked in the board settings.

v/Respectfully,

ANYWAYS, Noob, why aren't you using the poll feature? My vote is RMXP though.

This was explained already!! <_<

I also moved the last three posts in this topic as this is not the SPAM FORUM!!

Update,

Alright it is coming down to the wire here so I have added my vote as well. Please also remember that even if you don't own the final software you can still participate. This is true no matter what you may wish to help in because truth be told you can always download it temporarily (pirated) if needed (after all it is an option).

New Count:

RMXP--- 7

RMVX--- 5

Also I have decided to place a time limit on this topic. The community has 7 days from 15 AUG 2011 to vote, debate, etc. The topic will then be closed and moved and a new topic will appear announcing the software to be used. I have set this topic to close automatically on 23 AUG 2011. It will close based on the time setting you picked in the board settings.

v/Respectfully,

Edited by Noob Saibot