New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Sign in to follow this  
Noob Saibot

Worst Strategy Guide

What is the Worst Strategy Guide you have ever read/used for a video game?

Dragon Quest 8, has to be the worst. It lacks need to know information. I mean it's bad when you have to put the book down and search online...

Pokemon Goldheart/Soulsilver Guide, it left out a freaking chunk of game play from the book :nono4: . Once you gain the first 8 badges, the second half of the game is missing from the damn book making you have to search for hidden stuff and roaming pokemon from the internet. Makes you wonder why I bought the book, plus the pokedex in the back was half complete. They only have the pokemon in that game (while that is kind of fine), it doesn't show the skills they gain on certain levels.

Edited by Kiriashi

Wait what?

What is the world coming to when strategy guides lack information about a game...they are supposed to give you ALL the information about the game, no? :(

I haven't touched a strategy guide in ages though; I can barely afford the games, let alone a book about it. I just stick with GameFAQs if I REALLY need it.

Pokemon Goldheart/Soulsilver Guide, it left out a fucking chunk of game play from the book :nono4: . Once you gain the first 8 badges, the second half of the game is missing from the damn book making you have to search for hidden stuff and roaming pokemon from the internet. Makes you wonder why I bought the book, plus the pokedex in the back was half complete. They only have the pokemon in that game (while that is kind of fine), it doesn't show the skills they gain on certain levels.

Lol I was using the strategy guide for the original Gold/Silver games when I was playing Soul Silver. It wasn't that much different. I remember not using a guide when I was playing Red/Blue....I basically blinded my way through that game!

Hmm....I don't normally use strategy guides my first playthrough, in fact I only used 4 my whole life (Ocarina of Time, Pokemon Gold/Silver, GTA IV and Fable II)...It wasn't necessarily a Strategy Guide, but the worst I've read was a map guide for finding certain tokens in Spiderman 3. There are about 100 of them...and the guide only marked 95. The game came out in 2007...and I still have yet to find a guide that lists every token. >:( I don't feel like running around the city like a headless chicken trying to find the last 5 on my own.

Sounds like strategy guides are turning to shit. When was the last time I've purchased a strategy guide? Back in around 2003-2004 until I first found online alternatives. I liked strategy guides for their graphical approach over a simple computer text file on GameFAQs, but then again a lot of money is saved which is worth it in the end.

Wait what?

What is the world coming to when strategy guides lack information about a game...they are supposed to give you ALL the information about the game, no? :(

I haven't touched a strategy guide in ages though; I can barely afford the games, let alone a book about it. I just stick with GameFAQs if I REALLY need it.

Who knows. According to the text in the DQ8 guide I have they left out spoilers, but that's not all they left out. There is one point in the guide where it doesn't even tell you what to do after some locations or story parts are completed.

The last strategy guide I purchased was Final Fantasy VII.

It was the good Brady Games one.

I actually had tons of Guides for my Squaresoft games haha. Even Brave Fencer Musashi.

Don't think I've ever been disappointed with a Strategy Guide, though o:

Oh and I tend to agree with Kiri. Games are too expensive by them selves.

A new release and a strategy guide will run you nearly $100 dollars. Insanity.

Do you know how many groceries I can get with a hundred dollars?

Edited by Ragnyrok

Oh and I tend to agree with Kiri. Games are too expensive by them selves.

A new release and a strategy guide will run you nearly $100 dollars. Insanity.

Do you know how many groceries I can get with a hundred dollars?

What planet are you on? You can save money by buying the game and guide together by buying it at Game Stop and if you try Amazon.com it is more likely to be on a 10% or higher discount itself. I have bought plenty of video games from Amazon that where newly released for under $39 plus strategy guides average $19.99 and games average $59.99 (new) that's $85.97 total (averaging in tax) which is under $100. I have never bought a game or guide together and have it over $100. Not to mention smart buying plays a huge roll because buy the guide and game together from Game Stop and you can save money and turn that $80 into $70 or even $60.

Plus you can save even more by just signing up to IGN.com and view guides for free or pay $14.95 a year to download selected guides or if your real desperate wait like 6 months on buying the guide and buy it used of Amazon or download it as a torrent.

Edited by Noob Saibot