New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Fiasco

Looking to Work on maps

Im trying to get better on my mapping can people tell me something I should make and give me a review on it? =) thank

MAKE ME A SWAMP!

:3

I'd be happy to help you with any mapping problems you have btw. So just.. make me a swamp and I'll see what I can do.

MAKE ME A SWAMP!

:3

I'd be happy to help you with any mapping problems you have btw. So just.. make me a swamp and I'll see what I can do.

WAHLAAA

post-19803-0-24770700-1314864568_thumb.jpg

post-19803-0-27381300-1314864554_thumb.jpg

They look pretty nice, actually.

Maybe they need more depth, though. The entire map is only on one plane. Adding a few outside walls(you know the ones for outside of the caves) that will fit well with the swamp tiles. Maybe a few walls the Hero can walk up and get to another level to walk around above the swamp some.

Sorry if that sounds confusing... My daughter woke up entirely too early this morning -yawn-

Edited by Ragnyrok

They look pretty nice, actually.

Maybe they need more depth, though. The entire map is only on one plane. Adding a few outside walls(you know the ones for outside of the caves) that will fit well with the swamp tiles. Maybe a few walls the Hero can walk up and get to another level to walk around above the swamp some.

Sorry if that sounds confusing... My daughter woke up entirely too early this morning -yawn-

LOL no I understand. Well to add more depth I would need a custom tileset. I want to do that but I'll work on graphics later. So im more working what I have.

And its okay Im still up and its 4:30 over here.

How about a Cave? That is, if you are still interested in the practice. I posted a screencap of a cave I made, but I would like to see how our styles vary, and what we might be able to incorporate from each others style and come up with an even better looking cave...

How about a Cave? That is, if you are still interested in the practice. I posted a screencap of a cave I made, but I would like to see how our styles vary, and what we might be able to incorporate from each others style and come up with an even better looking cave...

Well here is a quick map I madepost-19803-0-76762400-1319003500_thumb.jpg

And heres I made one for BigAce Awhile backpost-19803-0-04451500-1319003514_thumb.jpg

Well here is a quick map I madepost-19803-0-76762400-1319003500_thumb.jpg

And heres I made one for BigAce Awhile backpost-19803-0-04451500-1319003514_thumb.jpg

I think they work pretty well as far as following Kiri's tutorials, however, I think that building a good map is more than just following rules laid out in a tutorial. It just seems too large and not visually interesting. Of course, I realize that some of the details get missed with screenshots. Here was a cave that I came up with, trying to focus as much as possible on visual style and making it interesting.

CaveStyleWLantern2.jpg

CaveStyleMap.jpg

I havent decided to keep or drop the lantern yet, and I posted those pics in another thread. Now, Im not trying to just use this as an opportunity to pimp my own stuff, or say this style is better than yours, nothing like that, but hopefully offer some constructive criticism to improve your style. Some of the things I've tried, you might like or might not, but see if there is anything you DO like and try to incorporate some of those things, and maybe try new ones.

I have a lot to learn, but one of the things I have learned is that cave walls, when treated like a wall in a house, are flat out boring and dont look very natural. Cave walls usually appear to be kind of random, and have cracks galore in them. Your maps also seem to be lacking "natural debris". It needs a lot more of those extra objecs, stalagtites (mites? I always get those mixed up), local flora and vegetation, variation in ground textures with moss, fallen rock, etc. Multi Level seems to also spice things up a lot as well.

Just my two cents...

I think they work pretty well as far as following Kiri's tutorials, however, I think that building a good map is more than just following rules laid out in a tutorial. It just seems too large and not visually interesting. Of course, I realize that some of the details get missed with screenshots. Here was a cave that I came up with, trying to focus as much as possible on visual style and making it interesting.

So true. Getting good at mapping ain't gunna happen overnight after reading something someone else wrote, or looking at other peoples' maps (though the latter is a necessity.)

Furthermore, those old tutorials aren't really good at all, because they don't go far enough. There are only three of them after all.

I'm working on someone else though. :3

So true. Getting good at mapping ain't gunna happen overnight after reading something someone else wrote, or looking at other peoples' maps (though the latter is a necessity.)

Furthermore, those old tutorials aren't really good at all, because they don't go far enough. There are only three of them after all.

I'm working on someone else though. :3

Writing good tutorials can only help people so much. I wouldnt know anything about what I'm doing without the support of the community. However, even the best tutorial can't compensate for someone that just doesn't have an ounce of artistic skill, or worse, the lack of desire to make a good map.

And, that's just great! Now you've gone and whetted my appetite! What are you working on?

It's a different approach at teaching.

Obviously as we have both agreed on, the current approach of tutorials only does so much... but that is the current approach..

My idea involves a lot more interaction, though it will require a lot more effort.

I'll show you what I mean once in a few weeks or so.

I like you. Lol. You have great potential as a member here.

It's a different approach at teaching.

Obviously as we have both agreed on, the current approach of tutorials only does so much... but that is the current approach..

My idea involves a lot more interaction, though it will require a lot more effort.

I'll show you what I mean once in a few weeks or so.

I like you. Lol. You have great potential as a member here.

Thanks!

I was thinking of something along the same lines, but as an Open Source Community Project, tutorial from In Game. Basically, if you wanted to do a Mapping Tutorial from In Game, explain Layers and how to "stack", and someone else does a map for a Tutorial for Eventing, or more specific aspects, like Battle Eventing, switches, cutscenes, stuff like that, its one project I'd have to sign up for when I am available! Screwy job hours when I'm working, right now Im not however.

It's similar to that.

Have you ever heard of RPG Maker VX School? It's... well similar.