New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
railfan101

New Year’s Game Challenge

First off, Happy Thanksgiving.

In the past we’ve seen contests where people have proposed to make a game in a day or a week with some if any restrictions. I’ve come up with a new idea on this: 1 month to create the best game you can. Eventing, scripting, the works, all finished. To add a challenge, I’ve come up with the following rules and restrictions:

Engine:

You can use either RPG Maker XP, or VX.

Characters, sprites, tilesets, etc.:

You can use default tilesets that came with either engine, or you can make your own. However, should you decide use custom tilesets,

1. If you are not the author of the tilesets, you must give full credit to the original author of the tilesets. If you got them from this site and an author is not listed, stating you got them from rmxpunlimited.net is acceptable.

2. If you are the original author of the tilesets, you are allowed to finish incomplete tilesets for this contest. You can also start making tilesets for this contest ahead of time, but ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE DECLARED YOU WILL COMPETE.

Storyline:

Story must be complete. After all, you can’t have an RPG without a story. No to be continued, it must be a complete story from beginning to end.

Winner and prizes:

Winner will be determined by several factors, including:

Creativity

Originality

Use of Maps effectively

Use of scripts (if custom scripts are used)

Storyline

The competition will begin March 1, 2012 at midnight, and end on March 30, 2012 at midnight.

Completed submissions will be accepted starting March 25, 2012.

Send submissions to tp9249@gmail.com (When you send it, please don’t encrypt the files.)

Judges:

• Railfan101

Competitors:

• SpriteZilla
  • Fluidity
  • Foxkit
  • GrimmHallows
  • madanchi
  • Gmack
  • kare3

Good luck to all of you.

(If any of the above rules are unfair, such as the map limit, or the rules under the characters, tilesets title, please let me know, and I’ll consider making them more fair. However, I won’t change a rule if I feel it’ll make the challenge too easy.)

Edited by railfan101

This looks good although I'm curious about why your limiting 5 maps to the creator that can be harsh especially if you want a full storyline. I would suggest leaving the number of maps limitless and then just maybe restrict the size. As far as the project itself I'm confused we don't start yet but you want submissions?? Also why no multiple story plots, my game loves multitudes xD.

Lastly as of right now I'm not going to sign up because for one I currently have no ideas for a fresh project unless I restarted what little I have done on my CSI game. Secondly the time period is just bad for me this starts after I got to go back to school, Then by time I get my next break there will only be a week left.

However I do wish everyone luck and a good Thanksgiving!

Ok, I made some edits to the original post. I hope this is better.

I removed the map restriction, and I reworded the tileset and submission sections.

Edited by railfan101

I'm bumping this. Just to remind everyone, registration is open now, and the contest begins at midnight on New Years. If your interested in this, please register.

I talked to a few members in chat about this, most of them were saying its bad timing. If not enough members sign up it may be worth postponing it to a more suited time.

I probably should've thought the date through some more. Sorry, I've been out of the school system for a few years, and I forgot you guys start again right after New Years. Since I want to try and make this a month-long contest, any idea which month would be better for everyone? This is a question for the community, not just Marked. So please tell me which would be better for you guys, since everyone seems to be saying January is bad timing.

Maybe starting Feburary or March? Usually takes the 1st month to settle in to classes for me. See what the other members have to say.

Maybe starting Feburary or March? Usually takes the 1st month to settle in to classes for me. See what the other members have to say.

I was thinking March as well. Plus the extra time will give more members time to enter and see if they can do it.

EDIT: Ok, the official start date for the contest has been changed to March 1, 2012. Hope this works out better for everyone, although now the thread title is invalid now the contest won't be starting on new years.

Edited by railfan101

Are Scripts allowed, like Caterpillar, or Battle System Scripts and the like?

Yes you can use your own scripts, but I have a few rules regarding scripts in this contest, and I'll update the original post with these.

1. If you use your own scripts:

I state in the original post you must begin everything on the start date and no starting anything before the start of the contest. Scripts are the only exception to this rule considering how many things can go wrong, and if something isn't working just right, you could be spending more time during the contest fixing it than spending time actually building your game.

2. If you use someone else's script:

You can use someone else's script for this contest, but you MUST have their permission to use it for this contest, unless the author of the script states no permission is nessesary. You must also credit the script as someone else's and not as your own.

You WILL be disqualified if you plagerize.

All scripts must have a physical presence in the game. I don't mean the load of scripts RPG Maker comes with, I mean custom scripts you put into the game. I don't want to see you load 10 different scripts into the game, and only use 3 of them. If that happens, and if you don't want to lose points, take out the scripts you're not using before submitting the game. Common sense here.

If you have any questions, don't hesitiate to ask.

Edited by railfan101

First of all i want to say happy thanksgiving. Umm the game could be a horror games? Or Pokemon? Or only an rpg?

First of all i want to say happy thanksgiving. Umm the game could be a horror games? Or Pokemon? Or only an rpg?

It can be anything you want. Don't limit yourself to only RPG. I would be pleased if anyone made a pokemon game for this contest, having grown up with the genre, I might be judging that one more critically, but that also depends on how many people sign up and how many games are submitted.

But there's no limit to what you make. Whatever game idea you have, go ahead and make it.

Ty I want to compete but Working schedule will start later... And i have no time to check... However i will vote all that compete!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING and HAPPY TOURNAMENTS.... (i can't compete... HUHU :-( ).

Bump. and i want to let you guys know, you can still register for this contest, and the start date has been moved to March.

How do I sign up to this?

You only have to tell me via this thread or via pm you want to participate, then your name is put in the first post under the list labeled competitors. Are you interested in competing?

I would enter with Lumis but I've already began work on it. I may enter with another game type though, so I'll have some time to think about it and then come back here with an answer

Edited by madanchi

You only have to tell me via this thread or via pm you want to participate, then your name is put in the first post under the list labeled competitors. Are you interested in competing?

yes i would like to compete pls. Is there a prize?

yes i would like to compete pls. Is there a prize?

I'm still trying to figure that out. I don't know if this contest will have a prize or not, but I'm still figuring out what kind of reward I could give for this. I'll figure it out.

I could give the winner some points. Also, I don't think Kevin.ds is going to compete since he left us for another site.

that sounds like a great idea. thank you.

Consider me a part of this. I'm learning a bunch of new tricks to add to my games, and since I'm almost finished a beta for my newest game idea (Soul Scythe) I should be free for this.

And I can do a full storyline in 5 maps as well! ^_^ Perfect. I'm already planning all the written documentation in advance so I remember.

hey Fluidity, even if VX Ace is released in English, next to no scripts will be be available to if for a while, so yo'll be pretty mush stuck with RTP battle systems and such.

So I would probably just stick with VX or XP.