New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
railfan101

New Year’s Game Challenge

If vx ace english is released before march would that be allowed?

i would prefer VX Ace not be used with this contest. the reason is part of the judging will require me to see how the game was constructed, and in order to see that, i have to have the right RPG Maker. my budget is tight already, and i cannot afford VX Ace right now. So I would prefer for this contest, participants only use XP or VX.

I greatly appreicate the interest in this contest. We now have 5 people participating. If more people start signing up, I might start asking for 1 or 2 judges to help out.

Edited by railfan101

Hey, I just got here, but this already sounds great, and it starts on my birthday? xP

Anyways, yeah, I'm in as well. Happy competing everyone!

May the best developer win.

good to see more people are entering!

I agree. I've been meaning to ask one of the mods or admins if it would be possible to change the title since new year's challenge isn't a vailid title anymore (because it starts in March now.)

Also, our competitor count is 6, which means I'm now asking for anyone interested in being a judge for this contest. The rules for being a judge are a little different. First, you cannot already be a competitor in this contest, it wouldn't be fair to the other competitors. Also, not a requirement, but experience previously judging a contest is a plus. that doesn't mean i will single out those who have judged before, but i also won't only consider those who've never judged.

If you're interested, send me a pm, don't reply to this thread.

Happy New Year Everyone. Just a reminder to everyone, the contest begins on MARCH 1, NOT TODAY! So everyone still has 2 months to register before the contest starts. I'm still looking for a second judge to help me with this contest.

Sign me up :P

I'll try to finish the first chapter of my soon to be game series for the contestpinch.gif .

First off, Happy Thanksgiving.

In the past we’ve seen contests where people have proposed to make a game in a day or a week with some if any restrictions. I’ve come up with a new idea on this: 1 month to create the best game you can. Eventing, scripting, the works, all finished. To add a challenge, I’ve come up with the following rules and restrictions:

Engine:

You can use either RPG Maker XP, or VX.

Characters, sprites, tilesets, etc.:

You can use default tilesets that came with either engine, or you can make your own. However, should you decide use custom tilesets,

1. If you are not the author of the tilesets, you must give full credit to the original author of the tilesets. If you got them from this site and an author is not listed, stating you got them from rmxpunlimited.net is acceptable.

2. If you are the original author of the tilesets, you are allowed to finish incomplete tilesets for this contest. You can also start making tilesets for this contest ahead of time, but ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE DECLARED YOU WILL COMPETE.

Storyline:

Story must be complete. After all, you can’t have an RPG without a story. No to be continued, it must be a complete story from beginning to end.

Winner and prizes:

Winner will be determined by several factors, including:

Creativity

Originality

Use of Maps effectively

Use of scripts (if custom scripts are used)

Storyline

The competition will begin March 1, 2012 at midnight, and end on March 30, 2012 at midnight.

Completed submissions will be accepted starting March 25, 2012.

Send submissions to tp9249@gmail.com (When you send it, please don’t encrypt the files.)

Judges:

• Railfan101

Competitors:

• SpriteZilla
  • Fluidity
  • Foxkit
  • GrimmHallows
  • madanchi
  • Gmack
  • kare3

Good luck to all of you.

(If any of the above rules are unfair, such as the map limit, or the rules under the characters, tilesets title, please let me know, and I’ll consider making them more fair. However, I won’t change a rule if I feel it’ll make the challenge too easy.)

Wallcroft Accepts B]

I'll be entering with The Remake of the 1st of a Series of 7 games Rmxpers have been harassing me to remake xDD (Since all seven games have been lost in space DX)

For some reason I feel like I'm up against impossible odds.

I can help judge.

I'm not planning on joining the competition, I have to much I need to do with my game. I'm not even planning to have a demo out untill August anyways.

Thank you everyone who's participating. Even though we're about a month away, i think this will be a great contest.

Here's a recap of who's participating, and who's judging:

Judges:

• railfan101
  • RageMage (Expect a pm from me within the next 24-48 hours)

Participants:

• SpriteZilla
  • Fluidity
  • Foxkit
  • GrimmHallows
  • madanchi
  • Gmack
  • kare3
  • Wallcroft

I will updating this list more frequently, and if a lot of people sign up at once, the first post will get an update too. Also in case anyone's wondering, there is not a limited number of spaces in this contest. I will add more bullet points if we get more people, other than that, it's unlimited.

I'd love to join. I got tons of time and this is great incentive to recreate a Series I've been harassed to remake xDD

I'd love to join. I got tons of time and this is great incentive to recreate a Series I've been harassed to remake xDD

Thank you. You're already on the list. You said you wanted to join three posts previously.

Thank you. You're already on the list. You said you wanted to join three posts previously.

Yeah I just saw sorry, I kept an eye on the list but never saw an Update DX Thought I was missed xDD

First off, Happy Thanksgiving.

In the past we’ve seen contests where people have proposed to make a game in a day or a week with some if any restrictions. I’ve come up with a new idea on this: 1 month to create the best game you can. Eventing, scripting, the works, all finished. To add a challenge, I’ve come up with the following rules and restrictions:

Engine:

You can use either RPG Maker XP, or VX.

Characters, sprites, tilesets, etc.:

You can use default tilesets that came with either engine, or you can make your own. However, should you decide use custom tilesets,

1. If you are not the author of the tilesets, you must give full credit to the original author of the tilesets. If you got them from this site and an author is not listed, stating you got them from rmxpunlimited.net is acceptable.

2. If you are the original author of the tilesets, you are allowed to finish incomplete tilesets for this contest. You can also start making tilesets for this contest ahead of time, but ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE DECLARED YOU WILL COMPETE.

Storyline:

Story must be complete. After all, you can’t have an RPG without a story. No to be continued, it must be a complete story from beginning to end.

Winner and prizes:

Winner will be determined by several factors, including:

Creativity

Originality

Use of Maps effectively

Use of scripts (if custom scripts are used)

Storyline

The competition will begin March 1, 2012 at midnight, and end on March 30, 2012 at midnight.

Completed submissions will be accepted starting March 25, 2012.

Send submissions to tp9249@gmail.com (When you send it, please don’t encrypt the files.)

Judges:

• Railfan101
  • RageMage

Competitors:

• SpriteZilla
  • Fluidity
  • Foxkit
  • GrimmHallows
  • madanchi
  • Gmack
  • kare3
  • Wallcroft
  • Polraudio

Good luck to all of you.

(If any of the above rules are unfair, such as the map limit, or the rules under the characters, tilesets title, please let me know, and I’ll consider making them more fair. However, I won’t change a rule if I feel it’ll make the challenge too easy.)

Hey if you need more Judges I wouldn't mind dropping out of the contest to be one.

Personally I prefer to take as much time as possible to perfect my games for example I have Smithing and Lockpicking and tons of other good stuff that'll provide lots of gameplay so if you need a judge I'll gladly be one.

Hey if you need more Judges I wouldn't mind dropping out of the contest to be one.

Personally I prefer to take as much time as possible to perfect my games for example I have Smithing and Lockpicking and tons of other good stuff that'll provide lots of gameplay so if you need a judge I'll gladly be one.

I appreciate that, but for now, i don't need a third person. Two people as judges are fine considering the amount of participants which are currently signed up. if more people sign up, then i'll ask you again. thanks for your offer though.

I appreciate that, but for now, i don't need a third person. Two people as judges are fine considering the amount of participants which are currently signed up. if more people sign up, then i'll ask you again. thanks for your offer though.

Sounds wonderful

We are 1 month away from this contest starting, and i would like to announce a new idea i've thought of. Sometime in the next two or three weeks, i would like everyone who's participating in the contest to give a brief pitch of their story idea you plan on creating for this contest.

For those who don't know, a pitch usually is supposed to give an idea of what the idea is, and nothing more. Pitches are designed to just get the listener interested, then if they're interested, they will ask for more information. Therefore, your pitch should be 3 sentences max.

Now, please understand, I'm asking this so the community can help improve your idea should you want us to help. Deciding whether to pitch or not won't change your status in the contest, you'd just be missing out on an opportunity to allow your idea for improvement.

Sorry I completely forgot about this with my busy life. You should have made a post saying it started to remind people. Then posted every week to remind people how much time they had left. Then the last 3 days post every day. People now days have to be reminded constantly. I need to be reminded to do something constantly. My plate is 200% more full than the average plate.

Thats usually how contests are ran.

Agreed, constant updates is definitely a good idea, I never saw this thread. Also I think the lack of follow through has more to do with the email notifications not working, so no one probably saw the replies.

This is an excellent idea, I suggest you try again when we move over to GDU and everything is working better, I think you will get even more results.