New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

RPG Maker VX ACE trial released - direct download here

logo2.png

Hi all,

RPG Maker VX Ace has been released and we're going to provide you with a direct download to try it out for yourselves!

Here's the official trailer for the software:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaJEb4KZuPQ

More information about RPG Maker VX Ace.

Install instructions

1. Save the file (RPGVXAce_Setup.zip) on your local hard drive.
  2. Find the downloaded file, right-click it and select Extract All.
  3. Click Extract.
  4. Once the extraction is complete, you'll have two folders; Program and RTP100.
  5. First, open RTP100 folder and run Setup.exe to install RPG Maker VX Ace Runtime Package.
  6. Click Next.
  7. The Runtime Package will be installed onto the folder shown here. Click Next.
  8. Click Install. It starts copying the necessary files, please wait a while.
  9. Open Program folder (see step. 4) and run Setup.exe to install RPG MAKER VX Ace.
  10. Click Next.
  11. Enable "Create a desktop icon" option and click Next.
  12. Click Install. It starts copying the necessary files, please wait a while.
  13. Click Finish to complete the installation.
  14. Now, You have RPG MAKER VX Ace shortcut icon on your desktop. Double-click to start the program.
  15. Click Activate.
  16. Enable "I want to activate trial mode", type your name and email address, then click Activate.
  17. Click OK.

Don't forget to tell us what you think below!

Wow 217mb. Better be worth it lol. Thats huge compared to XP.

Cant wait to try it. Hopefully its better than VX. OMG $90 to buy.

Wow 217mb. Better be worth it lol. Thats huge compared to XP.

Cant wait to try it. Hopefully its better than VX. OMG $90 to buy.

$90 for a gloated updated version of VX. So unoriginal they couldn't even come up with a new name.

Okay they kind of fked up the database for some stupid reason. Why the hell can't I give classes the weapons and armor I want? For some reason they thought that this was a good ideal to instead place them in categories. Which practically limites the Class Database section.

$90 for a gloated updated version of VX. So unoriginal they couldn't even come up with a new name.

Basically this. Ruby is free so thats no excuse to make it more expensive then the original VX.

We're Practically paying for a upgraded but free ruby 1.9.2; upgraded but slightly limited Database; character creator; and upraded mapping system. It still looks the same as VX. This thing should be at least $60 / $50.

Edited by bigace

I think 90$ is a fair price tag. You aren't paying for ruby, you are paying for:

A) A GUI-based click and point game development tool, which also has a pre-programmed 2D game engine WITH source code

B) A fully-functional 2D game library/API (rgss3)

C) A full set a resources for you to use in your game

D) A complete license for using and SELLING games made with all of the above.

Yes, ruby is free, but ruby alone cannot make games. There are free libraries/api's for ruby to make games, but you have to build the engine, resources, etc from scratch with no click and point programming.

A little bit more than a crappy modern game, plus it's a tool that can be used to make money. With a proper plan, that could be made back and then some.

Consider: 5$ a copy of your game, 20 copies and you've already made profit. And if the game is good and advertised properly, 20 copies is nothing. sell your game for a 1$, and I bet it wouldn't be hard to sell 1000 copies. $90 -> $1000 is pretty good, especially when 90% of the work is already done for you.

And people DO buy rpg maker games: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/aveyond/index.html

But, that's just how I feel about it. At the end of the day however, there are many free tools that achieve similar goals as rpg maker; that are more powerful and free.

*yawn* RPG Maker XP is released, people complain it's too hard to use, so Enterbrain simplifies everything and makes VX. Then people complain it's missing too many features from XP. So, they bring them back with VXA. And, with RGSS + Ruby you aren't even forced to USE their systems. So there isn't really any limits either...

Also, look at Visual Studio 2010:

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/professional/overview

On sale for $499! And all you get is an IDE (well, its a lot of powerful things but you don't get half the things that RPG Maker gives you)

Of course, once again, this is just my opinion. I had no plans on buying VXAce, but I DO think it's a fair price tag. And I DO think it can only lead to good things for the RPG Maker series.

I'm stoked to see what scripts people will come up with for the new series :o

It look like an upgraded version of VX on the surface, but you'll never know if the book is any good if you don't take a look at the pages. There are a lot of good new features as well as bringing some of the older features back. I'll admit that there has been very few new features and changes made with the RM series that have been truly noteworthy.

Me, I'll probably not be getting it anytime soon since I'm content using the trial, and I'm taking some steps away from the RM series and working with C++ lately.

I think 90$ is a fair price tag. You aren't paying for ruby, you are paying for:

A) A GUI-based click and point game development tool, which also has a pre-programmed 2D game engine WITH source code

B) A fully-functional 2D game library/API (rgss3)

C) A full set a resources for you to use in your game

D) A complete license for using and SELLING games made with all of the above.

Yes, ruby is free, but ruby alone cannot make games. There are free libraries/api's for ruby to make games, but you have to build the engine, resources, etc from scratch with no click and point programming.

A little bit more than a crappy modern game, plus it's a tool that can be used to make money. With a proper plan, that could be made back and then some.

Consider: 5$ a copy of your game, 20 copies and you've already made profit. And if the game is good and advertised properly, 20 copies is nothing. sell your game for a 1$, and I bet it wouldn't be hard to sell 1000 copies. $90 -> $1000 is pretty good, especially when 90% of the work is already done for you.

And people DO buy rpg maker games: http://www.rpgfan.co...yond/index.html

But, that's just how I feel about it. At the end of the day however, there are many free tools that achieve similar goals as rpg maker; that are more powerful and free.

*yawn* RPG Maker XP is released, people complain it's too hard to use, so Enterbrain simplifies everything and makes VX. Then people complain it's missing too many features from XP. So, they bring them back with VXA. And, with RGSS + Ruby you aren't even forced to USE their systems. So there isn't really any limits either...

Also, look at Visual Studio 2010:

http://www.microsoft...sional/overview

On sale for $499! And all you get is an IDE (well, its a lot of powerful things but you don't get half the things that RPG Maker gives you)

Of course, once again, this is just my opinion. I had no plans on buying VXAce, but I DO think it's a fair price tag. And I DO think it can only lead to good things for the RPG Maker series.

I'm stoked to see what scripts people will come up with for the new series ohmy.png

I disagree. I know what the features are and again they couldn't even at least call it something else. An updated version of VX no matter how you sugar coat it. Plus $90 I must disagree; I managed to get Torque 2D Builder for $99 and that is a good price and more powerful then RM.

I'm not saying I wouldn't get it, because who knows the trail could change my mind, but either way still a paid update.

As for Visual Studio 2010; I have the Professional version (which like over $5,000) and got it for free well in college (can't wait for that semester to start).

So I was looking at MY registry on MY computer, and as everyone knows the registry is your own property.

I was looking at this enrty: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > CoGenMedia > DRM" and I saw some interesting values. Specifically a true/false value that could be easily changed if someone wanted to edit their own registry, which is independent of the software, and is not included in the EULA.

Just saying.

So I was looking at MY registry on MY computer, and as everyone knows the registry is your own property.

I was looking at this enrty: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > CoGenMedia > DRM" and I saw some interesting values. Specifically a true/false value that could be easily changed if someone wanted to edit their own registry, which is independent of the software, and is not included in the EULA.

Just saying.

So what you're saying is...

lo6u.png

Ha! And that's a legal loop hole they let slide? In anyone's opinion could they have prevented this? Does this violate their user agreement at all, did anyone check? It would not even slightly surprise me if they overlooked this.

Ha! And that's a legal loop hole they let slide? In anyone's opinion could they have prevented this? Does this violate their user agreement at all, did anyone check? It would not even slightly surprise me if they overlooked this.

It probably violates their user agreement, I do plan on buying the software however, I just wanted to see if it could be done. Yes there is a way to prevent this, they're basically asking for this to happen by storing it in the registry.

It probably violates their user agreement, I do plan on buying the software however, I just wanted to see if it could be done. Yes there is a way to prevent this, they're basically asking for this to happen by storing it in the registry.

Understood, I was only curious how incompetent I should rate them.

Getting a warez version is probably just as easy so I wouldn't say they're 'asking' for it. I'm sure it is just as illegal to do this despite it not being written down in their EULA or other documents.

Getting a warez version is probably just as easy so I wouldn't say they're 'asking' for it. I'm sure it is just as illegal to do this despite it not being written down in their EULA or other documents.

Without it being in their EULA it's completely legal, this is stuff stored on your computer, you are legally allowed to modify anything on it.

And besides, even if their EULA said against it, it's against Enterbrains "law" not the US goverments law, they'd have to file a suit against you, tons of legal trouble, just for extending your trial.

In the grand scheme of things, it is just that, an extension of their trial. I would bet anything the agreement for Ace says that you can not release a game with their trial. So legal or not, you still would only be able to demo the product for longer.

Without it being in their EULA it's completely legal, this is stuff stored on your computer, you are legally allowed to modify anything on it.

Just to be annoying: the illegal part is using the program after you have done that. It's really pointless to argue about, coz like you said they'd need to take action against you themselves and no one cares about this sort of legality, etc. But you can't say its legal until you've gone through every copyright statute and every provision and checked if its illegal to use a program that you did not pay for, after your 30 day contract has expired.

It's legal in the sense that a random cop wont show up at your house and arrest you, they have to file a lawsuit first, there has to be an investigation, etc. There is absolutely no law against using their software after the trial.

There is absolutely no law against using their software after the trial.

Lol if you say so, I wouldn't know about US laws. I would highly doubt it though. Anyway, back to discussing the actual prodcut :P

I disagree. I know what the features are and again they couldn't even at least call it something else. An updated version of VX no matter how you sugar coat it. Plus $90 I must disagree; I managed to get Torque 2D Builder for $99 and that is a good price and more powerful then RM.

I'm not saying I wouldn't get it, because who knows the trail could change my mind, but either way still a paid update.

As for Visual Studio 2010; I have the Professional version (which like over $5,000) and got it for free well in college (can't wait for that semester to start).

Okay, fair enough. However, I am willing to bet c + openGL is much more powerful than torque 2d engine builder, and is ultimately much more powerful. And they're free. What's your point? Torque 2d Engine Builder is probably much more open (not as specific as RPG maker) and much more complex of a tool. RPG Maker wasn't meant to be powerful per se, just easy. So amateur's and hobbyists can access game development without having to devote large amounts of time to just learning to use tools, etc. RPG Maker is a "pick-up-and-go" game development tool of sorts.

Also, rpg maker in itself isn't really *not powerful* as it is just more specific to small, simple, 2d RPGs. And, like I said, there's not much you *can't* do with RGSS (in terms of it's intentions, of course you can't make 3d games, etc. Although, Ruby has an extension that allows it to interface with OpenGL...which is free, so you could make 3d games with ruby if you want to learn Ruby + OpenGL)

I understand that RPG Maker isn't as feature rich as YOU wanted it to be, but to say it isn't (in itself) 90$..then i'd have to disagree (well, except in the sense that it's just a virtual copy so, technically not physically worth anything).

I'm not trying to convince you to buy it; I just feel that RPG Maker is a powerful tool for amateurs, and can even more powerful if in the right hands. Sure, it's not the best thing since sliced bread; but I think Enterbrain did a good job with VXA. Personally, I think they should have redesigned the engine's code; but I can see why they wanted to follow at least a similar pattern...but if that was a big deal I don't see how rewriting the engine isn't possible...

As for Visual Studio:

Have you tried it out? Now that's a powerful tool. It took me a bit of tweaking to get it to perform nicely (partially a disappointment, but it's good now); but it has the best intellisense I have ever encountered before. And it's closest you get to point and click programming....which these two things are also what I dislike about it...It makes it too easy, I feel I may forget everything once I don't have VS anymore Q_Q

Just saying.

LOLOL So I guess RPG Maker VXA only costs 90$ to people who don't understand the Windows registry?

Lol if you say so, I wouldn't know about US laws. I would highly doubt it though. Anyway, back to discussing the actual prodcut tongue.png

Oops did I start this xD

[on the actual topic of RMVXA]

Anyways, I finally downloaded it to try it out, and I like what I see. I really like the new database set up, all the new attribute stuff is starting to make the database very powerful.

Like I mentioned, the code design mostly follows the same pattern; but they brought back a lot of features they left out of VX.

Plus, a lot of things that originally would require a custom script to achieve is now built in to the system.

Plus, with the attribute or feature system (whatever it's called) I can only see possibilities of extending the system with ruby. I am VERY impressed with this design choice they implemented.

@Bigace:

If you want to have specific class weapon/armor sets, you can create your own categories for the weapons/armors. Just make a category for each class, allow the class to equip those types then set the weapon to those types.

It's an extra step, but you can also now do some really complex stuff, like have another type of items that some classes share or only specific characters can use, etc.

LOLOL So I guess RPG Maker VXA only costs 90$ to people who don't understand the Windows registry?

Here is the user agreement for the engine itself, which I found here at the rpgmakerweb.com forums posted by their lead admin.

IMPORTANT, READ CAREFULLY.

THIS END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT (THE “AGREEMENT”) IS A LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACT BETWEEN YOU, THE END-USER (THE “LICENSEE”) AND ENTERBRAIN,INC.(“ENTERBRAIN” OR “LICENSOR”) BY INSTALLING OR USING “RPG MAKER VX ACE” (THE “SOFTWARE”), YOU, THE LICENSEE, ARE AGREEING TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT.

READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE INSTALLING OR USING THE SOFTWARE. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS, CONDITIONS AND LIMITATIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT, PROMPTLY DELETE THE SOFTWARE FROM YOUR COMPUTER.

A. Ownership. ENTERBRAIN retains all title, copyright and other proprietary rights in, and ownership of, the Software. Licensee does not acquire any rights, other than those expressly granted in this Agreement.

B. License

ENTERBRAIN grants to Licensee a non-exclusive, non-assignable license to use the Software on only one (1) computer by installing the Software, and Licensee cannot use the Software concurrently by and on multiple computers.

C. Restriction

Licensee shall not reverse engineer, de-compile, or disassemble the Software.

Further, Licensee shall not sell, assign, lease, sublicense, encumber, or otherwise transfer the Software without the written consent of ENTERBRAIN.

D. User registration

Licensee shall promptly sign up and register required information as a user of the Software. Licensor will provide support, via on-line basis and only the scope designated by Licensor, to the Licensee who completed the registration process in accordance with Licensor’s direction. Such support shall be provided on “as-is” basis without any warranty in any manner.

E. Distribution rights

Licensee may, at its sole discretion and its own risk, distribute the game (“Game”) originally created by Licensee by utilizing the Software with the following conditions;

(i) Only Licensee who properly completed the user registration may distribute its own Game;

(ii) The Game that may be distributed by Licensee shall be legally created and shall not infringe third party’s rights, including, but not limited to, privacy, copyright, trademark, and/or any other intellectual property rights. Licensee shall, at its own expense, indemnify, defend and hold ENTERBRAIN harmless against any claim/suit/proceeding brought against ENTERBRAIN arising out of or in connection with the Game on the issue of infringement of any patent, copyright and/or any other intellectual properties of any third party; and

(iii) Licensee shall be fully responsible for the Game, its contents, including, but not limited to, character, story, scenario, plot, map, music, sound, design, name, the Game’s distribution method, and/or any other items created or added by Licensee.

F. Termination

This Agreement and the license granted hereunder automatically terminates if Licensee breaches any provision of this Agreement. Immediately upon termination of this Agreement, Licensee shall cease using the Software, shall delete the Software and Game from its computers and shall either return to ENTERBRAIN or destroy the Software. If Licensee elects to destroy the Software, then Licensee shall certify in writing to ENTERBRAIN the destruction of the Software.

G. Limited Warranties and Disclaimers.

ENTERBRAIN does not warrant that the Software will meet Licensee’s requirements, that the Software will operate in combinations other than as specified in the Documentation, that the operation of the Software will be uninterrupted or error-free or that Software errors will be corrected.

ENTERBRAIN HEREBY DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES IN ANY MANNER, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

H. Liability Limitation

IN NO EVENT SHALL ENTERBRAIN BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, OR DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, REVENUE, DATA OR USE, INCURRED BY LICENSEE OR ANY THIRD PARTY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION IN CONTRACT OR TORT, EVEN IF SUCH PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. ENTERBRAIN’S LIABILITY FOR DAMAGES AND EXPENSES HEREUNDER OR RELATING HERETO (WHETHER IN AN ACTION IN CONTRACT OR TORT) WILL IN NO EVENT EXCEED THE AMOUNT OF LICENSE FEES PAID TO ENTERBRAIN WITH RESPECT TO THIS AGREEMENT.

I. Entire Agreement.

This Agreement constitutes the complete agreement between the parties and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous agreements or representations, written or oral, concerning the subject matter of this Agreement.

J. Governing Law and Jurisdiction

This Agreement will be interpreted and enforced in accordance with the laws of Japan without regard to choice of law principles. Any and all dispute arising out of or in connection with this Agreement shall solely be resolved by and at Tokyo District court, Tokyo, Japan

Section E. (i) clearly states "Only Licensee who properly completed the user registration may distribute its own Game."

A user agreement operates like a waiver, in the aspect that by agreeing to it, you waive any law that may conflict with their agreement. It doesn't matter if you can legally alter your computer registry because you have already agreed to use their product in the specified manner given above. Which requires you to pay for it before releasing a game with the engine. As long as the country you inhabit recognizes user agreements as legal binding contracts, you still have to buy the program no matter what your skill and knowledge in your computer registry may or may not be by law of your country. This took me about 10minutes to research. Speculation is your enemy, if hard facts are available, look for them.

@Bigace:

If you want to have specific class weapon/armor sets, you can create your own categories for the weapons/armors. Just make a category for each class, allow the class to equip those types then set the weapon to those types.

It's an extra step, but you can also now do some really complex stuff, like have another type of items that some classes share or only specific characters can use, etc.

I didn't want specific weapon/armor sets I wanted an open weapon/armor set like the previous makers. I'll figure something out though. Not really a big deal since there's a bunch of other things I can do.

You don't even need to look up the EULA, its part of the installation, and I read it prior to making my original post. The only thing you cannot that is against the guidelines is to distribute the game if you don't have a license. Enterbrain has no authority, nor an right to forbid someone from modifying their own registry. The registry is part of Windows, not part of the software, and is independent of Enterbrain in every regard. Microsoft allows altering of the registry, it is no way against their EULA, that's why the include a registry editor when you purchase it, and it becomes your property. The registry is full of MY files, and I will change them as I see fit. I have no worries of legal repercussions, since there are none. Anyone who has any evidence to the contrary, I would love to hear it.

No one is forcing Enterbrain to use my registry at all. They could easily have used another method of checking if the file was registered. The fact that they are incompetent at even trying to hide anything and making it easy for any idiot to understand simply by looking at it is not my responsibility. They produce the software, and it is in their interest to protect it better than any n00b programmer with 0 experience would have known better than.

If you agree to something, it waives previous rights. You agreed that "Only Licensee who properly completed the user registration may distribute its own Game." This means Enterbrain decides what defines properly completing their user registration, which in fact means paying for the product. Anyone who agrees to the user agreement has agreed that unless they paid for the engine they wouldn't release a game made on it. Plain and simple. Anything else is irrelevant. If your country states that user agreements are contracts you must uphold, then you agreed to it and it becomes binding and supersedes any other law. It's called signing away your rights, and it happens all the time. No matter what way is attempted to be found around it, unless the program is paid for it can not be used to release a game. This is why the information is on peoples registries, because their user agreement covers it perfectly.

EDIT* Let me be clear, I am not saying you are not aloud to edit your registry, I am saying its irrelevant because you can't use the engine to make a game and release the game unless you pay for it, as per their user agreement.

That's what I said in the second sentence of my previous post. It is not irrelevant, because I, like the majority of RPG Maker users, have no ambitions of releasing a game built with it. I simply use it for the fun of creating things, scripting, etc. I just use it to pass time, which it does well for me. Using the registry trick, I can legally do it and no one CAN do anything about, as opposed to my normal illegally doing it and no one caring enough to do anything about it. Very subtle these things, lol. :)

All in all, its just one more way to rip Enterbrain off. When it comes to getting an RM game for free, its just a matter of picking your preferred exploit, of which there are many. People will either choose to be honest and pay for it, or they will choose to use it "in a manner that contradicts the EULA", which I know every one loses sleep over from the guilt of doing.