New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

GDU Chatroom Opened - Bug reports needed

I was originally not going to make a topic for this because I know I'm opening it up too soon... but I thought it was needed to replace the old chat system.

This topic is mainly for reporting bugs, but feel free to give suggestions for the final version.

This chat uses sockets, and at the moment I don't think it is accessible with google chrome. Please post your errors in this topic.

Oh, and you guys can login too :) I've blocked off everything but chat so its a bit pointless.

http://www.gdunlimited.net/chat

*tries again* Oh now it lets me log in, lol. Before nothing really happened when I tried, so...never mind about that,.

it doesnt seem to work if im logged in...weird

i just get this

capture1j.png

or, if i click the "chat" link on the page on gdu that it takes me to after i log on, i get the same thing, but without the loading thing.

it just does that forever, not loading, just pretending to

edit: oops, false alarm, reloaded the page *sweatdrop*

Edited by Bob423

Seems to not work initially, but then works fine after refresh. How odd. I've put a message up saying to refresh if that happens.

Also bob, it does a while to load up in firefox. But if u see the spinner, it will start up.

Had to refresh to get it to load.

Bugs:

When i got disconnected from the internet for a sec the chat completely stops working and i have to refresh the page. With my internet that's every few sec-10min so the chat is almost completely unusable for me.

Not sure if it just bugs out and doesn't show me messages after that happens and my messages are actually getting through. Check the logs for the message "This is a test after i get disconnected"

Suggestions:

Text wrapping

All the standard stuff like Bold, Underline, Code tags, and etc...

A button to toggle chat scrolling. Its a pain to view images people posted before when people are talking and the chat keeps moving you to the bottom.

Chat history for maybe the last 10-20 messages(Would solve my disconnect problem).

Auto blue text for mods/admins.

Click on username on the chat part brings you to their profile in a new tab.

Chat filter?

All i can think of at the moment.

and i miss the links opening in a new tab.

with this one, if someone clicks one, they get disconnected from the chat unless they open it in a new tab manually

...Doesn't that happen in the old chat too Bob? >.>

Or do you mean links in the chat itself?

Well you could. The advantages with this system is the integration: you can login with your own account (so mods on the forums can mod in chat too, if needed), and bbcode from the site can be used. The chat uses the same functions that the forum uses to parse bbcode, as well as the rest of the site too.

It's really buggy at the moment and I plan to work on it of course. I do however need to brush up on my javascript and get my head around these sockets.

when two people send a message at the same time, or very close to the same time, the second one isnt displayed correctly. the box is completely empty

Well uh you can see the problem for yourself in the picture.

3dfa811090490d1cfb52ba590ec5729e.png?1334283608

Also the chat seems to look a bit...weird now...

Also Wyzrd is lurking in the chat like, the whole time and not saying anything? Or is that the "copycat"? (bug, lol)

Yeah, sorry bout that. I updated the form CSS and its screwed with that stuff.

The problem is that I started this project so long ago that I'm much better now.. I gotta go through and fix things. I've also dove pretty far into the html without having a proper set of UI styles which wasnt a bright idea.

When I tried it with Chrome it wouldn't login but I guess that's just part of that thing where sometimes it won't log you in.

At first I thought I could build on the existing code to make a decent chatroom that doesn't really on a database. When testing I never got any of the problems that occur in the live version, do disappointingly I think I'm going to have to scrape this current code and find something more stable before integrating it into the GDU system.

It logs me into chrome just fine, a note of interest if you type >.< into chat, the < won't show.

also, would it be too much to request that we get sound when people log in/post?

xsh9s.png

O.o

cause: seems to happen when someone (in this case, Foxkit) logs in twice via a second computer

sollution: refreshing the page makes everything go back to normal

Edited by Bob423

I was wondering why it has problems with google chrome?

When I was testing this, all was going well. Then when it went live it all turned to custard... I took the code from a tutorial and built on it to develop our own chatroom, but the base code I used was far too bare, and here we are with a very disfunctional chatroom. I'm going to look for other code and integrate it into GDU.

The google chrome may be an issue with the HTML5 websockets? It's uses this real time software, but there is some lag in it still because of all the bbcode parsing which I'm working on making quicker: http://www.pusher.com/

Dam I use google chrome. This is a big problem for me.

Yeah, im sorry about that. I need to look into chrome and web sockets, because I really want to use real time notifications on gdu. It will be another step a head of competition websites, but not if the majority can't use it.

I like the chat, just don't add smileys or add a option to turn them off xD.... off topic But bob is not very talkative to me anymore :,[ </3

Is he still negative towards everything? :P

Hmm well today I found a new chat! Just the very base, which I think I can build into a much more stable chat system. It's pretty low priority though, unless you guys really need it.

Is he still negative towards everything? tongue.png

who am i, joey? XD

i just dont have anything to say to joko. i usually wait for people to talk, then i start talking. maybe if he still had that minecraft server...

end of off topic-ness

Well good new the chat was working well today with my google chrome I had no problems even logging in and everything else was golden.

UPDATE

http://www.gdunlimited.net/chat

I noticed during several updates to GDU I accidentally broke the chat system. I actually had changed the way CSS was delivered to the browser so the CSS file for the chat wasn't being loaded.

Actually a lot has changed since I first wrote this chat system and since I've made a bunch of updates. Here's the main 3

-Added sounds for new messages, leaving and entering chat

-A new time system that updates live every minute (go and make a message and just stare for like a minute)

-Waaay faster. I updated the ajax system to load the bare minimum of requirements and it loads way quicker than before

To do list:

-enable bbcode (i disabled it for now for speed purposes, but I've got a workaround to keep speed and use all forum bbcode)

-a light box

-make all links open a new window

-show previous messages upon first login (maybe. It may be better for speed to just not do this)

-sessions for members so that when you refresh the page you don't have to login again (you dont login automatically anymore - i think this caused issues)

-fix the issue of two of the same users. Happens when ever you open a new window.

So yeah... continue the bug reports that arn't already on the to-do list smile.png

Also, this is just an update of progress, its not finished or anything and there's a bunch of design stuff that's off. It's functional again so I'm posting this now, but much more to do.