New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

A top bar for GDU? (sorta like facebook)

I've been seeing a lot of websites with a fixed scroll bar when menu items. For example, facebooks topbar and how the logo, menu options and the search are always on the screen at the top.

Here's a few examples:

http://www.kolabs.com.au/

http://sevenly.org/

http://www.turningart.com/

http://www.kuhl.com/

http://whiteboard.is/

So I'm just thinking we have up there the logo (which you can click and return to the homepage) and a search box. A big unifying feature we need for this site is a single search box that you can use to search all content.

Here's what it may look like

40a94a8aee2cf8aa5ba5673329381521.png

And here's a live demo (notice that it appears after you scroll past the search box): http://www.gdunlimited.net/

Like or dislike? Could we move the sidebar up there altogether?

I've been thinking recently about a complete redesign. I'm just wondering if the current design is brandable.

Anyway, feedback appreciated!

I definitely think that bar at the top is an excellent idea. I checked the reference examples out, and yeah they do all look good. As far as branding goes, a logo/symbol isn't all you need. I would suggest at minimum working on a tagline/catchphrase, and picking a hex color to be the GDU official color. This way people here the line and think your 'thing' (ba-ba-ba-ba-baaaa I'm loving it.), or see the colors and think your 'thing', (Examples: red and gold for mcdonald's, or walmart blue).

Shapes and graphics are another one. If the site is always boxy, keep it boxy, if it's rounded keep it rounded, shapes give a uniform feel, and when seen elsewhere remind of them of where they saw it before, your site. Graphics too, so not like a logo, but like banners, and other graphical non logo stuff used to represent your site. That leads into things like, fonts, and text layouts, keeping things similar when advertising/posting official site stuff makes it more recognizable, then when posted else where it becomes synonymous with your brand.

The key to branding and brand awareness is to making your product points bold, and unique, but at the same time memorable.

(Now I'm off to work to go do merchandising and marketing for my paid job.)

Yeah branding is something we've got to work on. But I suppose we've got to have something to brand first so its not the highest priority right now.

The green is supposed to the recognizable color, but I'm also pondering what level of customization GDU should have. For example, I could have a field where a member types in their color, like this: '#000000' and all the greens would change to their desired color. Or we could have set colors. Or, we could restrict access based on posts/points etc. So many things to think about :P

This is the green:

f6f32216e5a52bab6c11b42d1e91ddbf.png

I definitely think that bar at the top is an excellent idea. I checked the reference examples out, and yeah they do all look good

Did you try the live example?

Also, does anyone else care to comment on the top bar? It's right here: http://www.gdunlimited.net (just scroll past the search bar)

Marked you're expected half this forum to contribute huh.png ,

Jon Bon pretty much said everything, and that full costumization would be a great ideal. Of course limit some of the usages from new members like said until like maybe 20 post.

Edited by bigace

I tried the live example, and I think that the top of the website should leave room for the top bar instead of fading the bar out. That way the bar is always visible, and the stuff that it would hide now, would be displayed beneath it when scrolled to the top.

Oh, I forgot to comment on this:

I love it. I agree, with jon bon, that it should always be persistent; and I think you should add some more (probably profile) features to it.

Otherwise, great idea.

I noticed the top bar the other day when checking out the site and I quite like it. Kellessdee also has something there, maybe some profile features within it (basic ones).

I agree with the subtle transparency. Maybe mostly transparent if scrolling the window, then a perfect amount of slightly transparent when stopped so if necessary you can at least slightly see whats under the bar in case it's the information you need. It never occured to me it is dedicated screen space that does take away, and notebooks, and lap tops, and other smaller devices would appreciate being able to see under it as best as possible I imagine.

Now that i think about it, add extra features like Kell suggested (probably ideally the stuff you plan to make but isnt done/ready yet), which I agree with, and then maybe have it have a 'hide' button, so users can hide the bar if they want, but since it has features there would be reason to unhide and also keep it up, not defeating it's purpose entirely?

Just some thoughts. I think the transparency is a valid point non the less.

I'm going to have to disagree with the transparency. I think that, although one loses some screen real-estate, at most it would be perhaps a line of text; and I don't think transparency would solve this. To actually read that line, one would mostly likely have to scroll up regardless, and then in that case I think transparency would detract from the actual UI.

The lost screen space however, could be detrimental to mobile phone users; where in that case the top bar probably should not exist at all.

The idea of making the top bar fade out (or perhaps "slide" even?) while scrolling, as this might be when someone would like to more of the site at one time. It would have to be animated in some way, not just to look pretty, but as a user I get uncomfortable when parts of my UI play a vanishing act, but I can sleep at night if I know that my UI is waiting for me, just beyond those imaginary bounds of my browser window. Maybe that's just me though :P

I think, once the top bar is more than just a persistent search bar/home button, the benefits will outweigh the costs. Being able to manage account aspects, return to the home page, search etc. on any point of the screen, is essential -- especially in the case of forums, where the total height of the page is much greater than the a lot websites.

The top bar could also have a "jump to top" button. This would be useful too, so you can quickly access other locations on the website, without having to click home on the top bar (agh, I do this on facebook when I scroll too far down. It's often easier/faster than scrolling back up xD), or scroll all the way back up. A quick click, to get you to the top from anywhere on the page. This also avoids making the user look for the last "jump to top" link they saw.

[off-topic][sorry Mark]

@enigma: Holy crap, I haven't seen you around here in WHILE. How have you been?

I definitely agree with your logic Kell, I find it hard to ever argue with your logic to be honest.

In any case I think there would be a happy medium of opacity where the bar itself and the content behind it would both be viewable in a non confusing manner? Like the ability to see 10% behind it, because it is auto dedicating your screen to something, and you should technically have that space as viewer space. I just think it's best to consider all users. I of course have a massive screen for my computer, but not everyone does. That bar could potentially make up 1/10-1/20th of someones viewing space on a desktop or notebook, forcing them to scroll more often then they would normally. I think if it would be possible to make it transparent and still comprehensive, then why not?

Couldn't there just be a tiny button on it that makes it more transparent? Keep it solid normally then just have a button that swaps it to 'faded mode'.

Marked you're expected half this forum to contribute huh.png ,

If you mean I expect half the forum to contribute, then that would be nice :P But I don't, just more than 1 more person :)

What about transparency until you hover of it?

Either way, with a persistent top bar there is no need for the "Game Dev Unlimited". So what do you guys think about moving the entire sidebar into the topbar? The increase in width may make up for the decreased height.

Note: I made this is photoshop, so things aren't aligned the icons are a bit blurry:

gduexampple.png

It's a big decision because it affects all the views outside of GDU, so I need to know you guys think! Perhaps a live comparison is needed?

I quite like that top bar, will be nice to see a live preview to see how it all works so we can give a full judgement on it. What do you guys think?

I think yeah, if you can get all the functions into drop down category boxes up top, that's likely the most efficient method. A live view would likely help.

hey this is really cool :D i like the idea of that bar at the top. it seems like its out of the way enough not to make a difference but still very useful granted you want to go to the home page, or search any thing, instead of having to zoom to the top or whatever the case. may be u could have all the profile options and a forum link and what not. i assume you have already considered these.

Yeah Ackley scroll up to my last post, i kinda changed the discussion of the topic.

I'm trying to determine if you guys would prefer the top bar to the side bar. Either or. I'll try and get a live preview up.

EDIT: Discussions for this topic have been moved here: http://www.gdunlimited.net/forums/topic/8706-pollgdu-sidebar-vs-topbar/