New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
TrollerBlader

Good morning to you, my newfound friends!

I am an absolute newbie when it comes to RMXP and all RPGMakers as a whole. I've dabbled once or twice before in RPGMaker2k3 way back in the day, but cannot say I have done much with it since then. My main focus would be mapping, since I was halfway decent back in the day, and hope to be of some usage to somebody out there.

As it pains me to say this, but spriting is probably my worst qualities, even though I take up Graphic Arts at my technical high school. I have tried learning once or twice when I tried learning QBasic and Flash, but to no avail. Anyhow, I digress.

I joined the community to learn more about RMXP, and I'd like to learn more about you guys. I guess this would be the time to either give the floor to you all, but I'd just like to add some of my favorites.

I enjoy all kinds of music, but most specifically techno or dubstep.

For video games, I much prefer either Illusion of Gaia or Chrono Trigger.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

Yours truly, Joe

I made a map this morning before trolling the internet looking for a forum to join :smile:

Tell me what you think? It's not the best.

The top right was rushed.

Large%20Forest.png

Hey ! and welcome to rmxpu :D Iam sure you will enjoy your time here and if u need any help at all dont be hesitate to ask. And thats a nice map I can't wait to see some more of your work clap.gif

Hey, thanks Kevin.ds! I am sure too, that I will enjoy my time here at RMXPU, and I hope to become a permanent member of this community. I do try my best to stay active once I join.

Just a question, might I ask what drove you to put a .ds at the end of your name?

Hey, thanks Kevin.ds! I am sure too, that I will enjoy my time here at RMXPU, and I hope to become a permanent member of this community. I do try my best to stay active once I join.

Just a question, might I ask what drove you to put a .ds at the end of your name?

My full name is Kevin Danny Sjöberg :D

not really haha but thanks :D so are you working on a game ? if so what kind , or are you just mapping for the fun of it jay.gif

I'm just mapping to get acclimated to the the environment of RMXP. I started writing a game a while back, called Isnatary, but I dropped it and game-design as a whole. It wasn't until I discovered RM2k3 on my computer that I got the urge to try this whole "game making" scene again.

So, I bought RMXP, and here we are.

Ah I see how unfortunate =( although Iam glad you decided to try it out again (can't have enough rpg makers now can we :D) I used to use rpg maker xp to , loved the mapping capabilities and available scripts for it :P but since i'v started with parallax mapping Iam using Vx ace wich is alot more user friendly. Do you have any more maps to show off ? I would love to see some more

Welcome.

It's a decent map for a beginner.

But I feel like the terrain is a little sloppy and some of the details do not make sense too me. Why is that well there? Ha, ha.

welcome to rmxpu! you should've seen MY first map. thats actually really good for a newb :P

welcome to rmxpu! you should've seen MY first map. thats actually really good for a newb tongue.png

Thanks, Bob423!

Welcome.

It's a decent map for a beginner.

But I feel like the terrain is a little sloppy and some of the details do not make sense too me. Why is that well there? Ha, ha.

Yeah, I guess I didn't really make much sense with that, like the grave ontop of the cavern >_<

And I can't really explain why the well is there.

Ah I see how unfortunate =( although Iam glad you decided to try it out again (can't have enough rpg makers now can we biggrin.png) I used to use rpg maker xp to , loved the mapping capabilities and available scripts for it tongue.png but since i'v started with parallax mapping Iam using Vx ace wich is alot more user friendly. Do you have any more maps to show off ? I would love to see some more

Yeah, I'm glad to be back. Downloaded VXAce, and it reminds me of Pokemon from the gameboy systems, not sure why. The early RPG games, like Link to the Past, or FF:Mystic Quest.

Might I ask what parallax mapping would be?

I do have two more maps to show, made yesterday:

I think I did a better job with these than the one I made this morning, let me know!

Small%20Forest.png

Large%20Cave.png

You seem like a friendly individual, nice to meet you. I like the forest screen shot just above this reply. You have defintiely picked the right community here to join. I can't believe you mentioned mystic quest, no one has played that 'worst final fantasy game ever', I love it so much, I still intended to borrow elements from that game.

Anyhow, nice to meet ya mate, if you have any questions or need any help don't hesitate to start a new thread in the appropriate area, we will always try to help out as best we can.

For me Ace is not about the looks since you can pretty much "Make" it look however you want biggrin.png Iam using it for its simplicity, script wise iam a complete N.O.O.B but with ace configuring complex scripts is rather easy by using the comment boxes in the database tongue.png

and this is an example of what parallax mapping is

Why parallax mapping rox!

Edited by Kevin.ds

You seem like a friendly individual, nice to meet you. I like the forest screen shot just above this reply. You have defintiely picked the right community here to join. I can't believe you mentioned mystic quest, no one has played that 'worst final fantasy game ever', I love it so much, I still intended to borrow elements from that game.

Anyhow, nice to meet ya mate, if you have any questions or need any help don't hesitate to start a new thread in the appropriate area, we will always try to help out as best we can.

Worst? I do, and will always think of Mystic Quest one of the best. I tried following the games after.. Can't do it. It's just insane where the series has gone. It was Mystic Quest that inspired me to start making games, way back. Tried making a game based off of it around 8 years ago. Needless to say that failed miserable since I was only 7, but hey. It was worth it.

Thanks, I always do my best to meet new people and I try to be a friendly person. I joined another RPGMaker forum a long while back, and was made fun of to the point of me leaving. I think it's now modern day RMRK. Anyways, that's irrelevant.

Nice to meet you, Jon Bon! I see there in your signature that you have a sprite representing you. Did you make it? If so, I can see you're quite the spriter!

For me Ace is not about the looks since you can pretty much "Make" it look however you want biggrin.png Iam using it for its simplicity, script wise iam a complete N.O.O.B but with ace configuring complex scripts is rather easy by using the comment boxes in the database tongue.png

Very true about the whole "Making" thing! And can't you use parallax mapping within RMXP? I'm not too familiar with the RMXP engine yet.

I'm a little late to the show, welcome to RMXPU, I think you'll fit in quite nicely. Hope you enjoy your time here, we have some great and awesome people here. :)

yea you can , that's were i learned it tongue.png

Ahh, okay! That's what I thought. So VXAce is more user friendly you say.. So It looks like VXAce isn't much different than VX...

I'm a little late to the show, welcome to RMXPU, I think you'll fit in quite nicely. Hope you enjoy your time here, we have some great and awesome people here.

No, you're not late! Party has just started, my friend. And I'm sure you're one of those aforementioned great and awesome people! smile.png

Edited by TrollerBlader

Worst? I do, and will always think of Mystic Quest one of the best. I tried following the games after.. Can't do it. It's just insane where the series has gone.

[/Quote]

I completely agree, tis why I single quoted it, because that's the wrap it has in the final fantasy series. I stopped playing after 9, and have played the ones after but never completed any of them. Where as I have played 1-9 from start to end tons of times. Mystic Quest was tight, linear but multi path, allowed environment interaction, and had a very balanced leveling system. It was poorly received because it was ahead of it's time, in my opinion.

Thanks, I always do my best to meet new people and I try to be a friendly person. I joined another RPGMaker forum a long while back, and was made fun of to the point of me leaving. I think it's now modern day RMRK. Anyways, that's irrelevant.

I had the same experience mate, like 4 or 5 years ago. Then I left the scene and came back 2-3 years ago and scouted each site for almost a year before settling here.

Nice to meet you, Jon Bon! I see there in your signature that you have a sprite representing you. Did you make it? If so, I can see you're quite the spriter!

I did make the face and hair from scratch, but the body is from a website that makes sprites. I am a good spriter but I can only edit, I can't really make from scratch. Never had the artistic talent, I'm a math brain, I make by seeing how others do it.

Very true about the whole "Making" thing! And can't you use parallax mapping within RMXP? I'm not too familiar with the RMXP engine yet.

You can use it with rmxp but I think the benefit is that Ace is more user friendly, and if you use parallax mapping with Ace it becomes superior to rmxp in the aspect that the mapping system is the only thing holding it back. This is what I have heard through the grape vine and I eventually want to also learn the parallax mapping technique and move to Ace. At least to try it out. But I do love rmxp.

Anyhow, if you wanted to make a game with the same type of system as Mystic Quest, I would help to conceptually design it and any spriting as well I could lend a hand with.

Cheers!

I'm a little late to the show, welcome to RMXPU, I think you'll fit in quite nicely. Hope you enjoy your time here, we have some great and awesome people here. smile.png

Well Foxxy, the party dont start til we walk in! Congrats on the new member joining us, we are a great community as said before and there are lots of helpful people here who work with a multitude of engines. If you have any questions, just let us know. There's a reason I've stayed in the community for a while now phrank.gif

Welcome!!!! Im still a real newb here too! Im more intrested in the mapping as well, but im also really good at comming up with plot lines! I cant sprite worth anything either, but im pretty dang good at frankenstineing and editing if i do say so myself. :) These guys really help me out alot, cuz of them i know more about rm vx ace than i do now! :) So welcome!

Welcome!!!! Im still a real newb here too! Im more intrested in the mapping as well, but im also really good at comming up with plot lines! I cant sprite worth anything either, but im pretty dang good at frankenstineing and editing if i do say so myself. smile.png These guys really help me out alot, cuz of them i know more about rm vx ace than i do now! smile.png So welcome!

I'm terrible at plotting, I find it to be the hardest parts. I can write stories but I can't make it work when I try to make a game.

Thanks, and it's nice to meet you, forcebreaker!

Well Foxxy, the party dont start til we walk in! Congrats on the new member joining us, we are a great community as said before and there are lots of helpful people here who work with a multitude of engines. If you have any questions, just let us know. There's a reason I've stayed in the community for a while now phrank.gif

I hear there's quite some good parties going on here, I know who to call!

Thanks, solshadow nice to meet you sir.

I completely agree, tis why I single quoted it, because that's the wrap it has in the final fantasy series. I stopped playing after 9, and have played the ones after but never completed any of them. Where as I have played 1-9 from start to end tons of times. Mystic Quest was tight, linear but multi path, allowed environment interaction, and had a very balanced leveling system. It was poorly received because it was ahead of it's time, in my opinion.

Of all the FF games, Mystic Quest is the only one I ever got into. Maybe I'm not of that 'elite' group of people who play every game of the series over and over. But that's just me. The game is and will always be among my favorites, and it is quite the pity that it didn't receive as much credit and fame as it should have.

Anyhow, if you wanted to make a game with the same type of system as Mystic Quest, I would help to conceptually design it and any spriting as well I could lend a hand with.

Cheers!

That sounds fantastic. You'll most likely be hearing from me in the future. The game was flawless, in my opinion.

Edited by TrollerBlader

>.> ......im ashamed to say, i actually had a hard time beating FF MQ when i first played it (i was so cheezed off when my sister beat it ahead of me, and shes terible at rpg's!!!!).... But that was the very first RPG i played, and got me into the rest of the FF universe. :-)

Welcome to the community, I am a fellow newbie as well. Your taste in music and games is good.

I envy your map making skills, I'm not so talented with maps unfortunately. I am aiming to specialize in story writing, eventing and scripting myself so maybe we can help each other out in the future :)

>.> ......im ashamed to say, i actually had a hard time beating FF MQ when i first played it (i was so cheezed off when my sister beat it ahead of me, and shes terible at rpg's!!!!).... But that was the very first RPG i played, and got me into the rest of the FF universe. :-)

Mystic Quest was very hard for me as well, since it was my first RPG, my second being Zelda: Link to the Past (can't say I've beaten it, either)

I had the luxury of my older and younger siblings never being good at RPGs, so they have yet to pass me smile.png

Welcome to the community, I am a fellow newbie as well. Your taste in music and games is good.

I envy your map making skills, I'm not so talented with maps unfortunately. I am aiming to specialize in story writing, eventing and scripting myself so maybe we can help each other out in the future

You know what I've noticed, here on the community? Everyone here specializes in something. I think it would be fantastic to see an entire community game, but the probability of that happening is close to slim.

Thanks for the welcoming, Shakey2!

You know what I've noticed, here on the community? Everyone here specializes in something. I think it would be fantastic to see an entire community game, but the probability of that happening is close to slim.

I agree completely. I have wanted to do something like this for a while. But it is really hard to get people on board to something they are not making themselves. Also since pretty much everyone here who wants to make games is already making their own, it's hard to get people to even help and have time to do so. In any case I did start conceptually designing a game which I want to make with the help of the community as well as only using scripts and other resources posted here. However it is currently on hiatus until I can get more free time and finish off some of the other things I am already working on. Here is the link to that project.

http://www.rmxpunlimited.net/forums/topic/8543-rmxpu-the-video-gamewippoll/page__fromsearch__1

I agree completely. I have wanted to do something like this for a while. But it is really hard to get people on board to something they are not making themselves. Also since pretty much everyone here who wants to make games is already making their own, it's hard to get people to even help and have time to do so. In any case I did start conceptually designing a game which I want to make with the help of the community as well as only using scripts and other resources posted here. However it is currently on hiatus until I can get more free time and finish off some of the other things I am already working on. Here is the link to that project.

http://www.rmxpunlim...__fromsearch__1

So I checked out the link to the project. That sounds amazing! But as I said before, the chances of it being pulled off is quite low, in my opinion. However, if you do manage to grab a group of people, you have my 100% cooperation, and it will be the only project I work on until the end. I followed the topic to keep posted!

So I checked out the link to the project. That sounds amazing! But as I said before, the chances of it being pulled off is quite low, in my opinion. However, if you do manage to grab a group of people, you have my 100% cooperation, and it will be the only project I work on until the end. I followed the topic to keep posted!

I totally agree. That's why I generally make games alone, heh. I'll answer this more complete in my thread.

I agree completely. I have wanted to do something like this for a while. But it is really hard to get people on board to something they are not making themselves.

We actually had a project going that we got done earlier before I left on hiatus. Then another project was started by the community but sort of died as far as I know. I'm sure that once we get some more of the older crew back that we'd all love to make another project

We actually had a project going that we got done earlier before I left on hiatus.

Link please.