New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
justabox21

Custom RMXP Controls Script?

Is there a way to set a default control scheme in a script for RMXP? I'm using my own configuration in my game and I don't want people to have to manually adjust their RMXP controls to play my game properly.

I don't understand. People adjust their controls to how they like them. Manual adjustment is in almost every game for just this reason. Not to often does requiring a strict keyboard layout benefit anybody.

If you simply want a custom Input module that allows for more keys, there are a few of them floating around. I don't have any links, but a search for it will turn them up.

I think the issue he is having is that the controls are not preset when everyone plays the game. And was wondering if there was a way to have a script that could preset them. So yes still allow the player to alter their function, but in addition allow a preset control scheme to be instantly assigned for ease of use for the player. So you could have preset control scheme, A, B, etc, and also allow manual customization.

Like a cushion on a hard wooden chair, sure you can grab a pillow and sit on it and make your perfect seat, but what if it was built right in and you could still put a pillow down.

You could use a custom Input module for that by remapping the keys. Blizzard's script in Tons of Addons is the best in my opinion. It is the first script of the second section if memory serves me correctly.

Using that should provide the functionality you are looking for.

Thanks Jon Bon, that's exactly what I was talking about. Foreverzer0, I will check out that script. Thanks for the link!

The script itself works, but unfortunately it doesn't work with my current set up. And it disables the use of my gamepad controller for some reason. Is there a way to just modify the existing keyboard and controller configuration inside XP's scripts instead of installing an all new one?

That is what that script does. The value of the keys are nothing more than the keycodes assigned to a standard ASCII keyboard. You can modify the constants to be whatever you want. If you are using a gamepad, just assign a constant value(s) to whatever the associated code each button uses, and there you are.