New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
SnowOwl

Miserere (RMXP)

Hello there!
Long time lurker here, finally deciding to share something.

I have been workin on a game heavily inspired by the game Yume Nikki (if you don't know what it is, read this and do yourself a favor and download it).
I have tried to keep what was fun in YN and improve on what was less fun, like walking in a straight line for 5 minutes.
I have also tried to add my own flavour, and it is by no means a carbon copy. There are short story segments, for example, and there are no effects to be found. Instead i added a few puzzles and challenges.

Short story introduction
In Miserere you explore the dreams of a lonely space station occupant. The unnamed occupant have been on this station for years, all alone. Needless to say, this has taken its toll on our poor protagonists mind. This occasionally shows in the dreams.

Gameplay
The game relies heavily on atmosphere and mood to keep the player interested. You explore the mind of our protagonist via 4 possible pathways, which branch out, when you enter the dreamworld.
The main focus lies in exploration and uncovering the past of the protagonist. There are a few puzzles among the way, which are usually not too hard.

Thank you
A special thank you to Papasan96, who have been proofreading the game.
Also a special thank you to Epitonic, which I got most of my music from.

Screenshots
Next, the thing which probably will decide if you, the one reading this, will be playing it.

i5rrbt.png
The nexus, from here you can go in 4 directions and start exploring.

20az2c2.png
A old building, which leaks from the roof and walls during rainstorms.

33ol9qt.png
Quite the crowd

Download: Miserere v1.02 (Final)

Mac: Jammed Gears on youtube ported Miserere to Mac!
Check it out here (download link in description);

Changelog: v1.02 changelog

Thank you for reading! Edited by SnowOwl

Now that's interesting, I've only today just finally finished playing Yume Nikki, I will most certainly have a gander at this, my friend, it certainly looks worth it, and your screenies look pretty sweet.

Hello there!

Long time lurker here, finally deciding to share something.

I too once held that title. My production quality was no where near as has as your is though. I like the look of your game immensely.

I have been workin on a game heavily inspired by the game Yume Nikki (if you don't know what it is, read this and do yourself a favor and download it).

I have also tried to add my own flavour, and it is by no means a carbon copy.

We all get our inspiration from somewhere. The fact that you link yours, means you likely didn't copy it, good stuff!

The story and gameplay sound ultra interesting, I like 'alternative' games. We need more of these, and it's great to see indie developer doing this stuff. You keep making your games like this, and people will keep playing them. I don't have much time this weekend, but I hope to be able to play this after the other game I recently promised and want to try. Looks great and I anticipate playing it.

-Cheers!

EDIT:

Your screen shots are awesome btw, reminds me of so many different games at the same time in a really good way, very inspirational. In the future you may want to put them in spoiler tags to shrink down your original post, makes things more clean. Great stuff though!

Edited by Jon Bon

Thank you, Pyramid_head. I do hope you find it enjoyable.

The story and gameplay sound ultra interesting, I like 'alternative' games. We need more of these, and it's great to see indie developer doing this stuff. You keep making your games like this, and people will keep playing them. I don't have much time this weekend, but I hope to be able to play this after the other game I recently promised and want to try. Looks great and I anticipate playing it.

Your screen shots are awesome btw, reminds me of so many different games at the same time in a really good way, very inspirational. In the future you may want to put them in spoiler tags to shrink down your original post, makes things more clean. Great stuff though!

Such a rain of compliments, you make me blush! I can only hope you will think no less of me after you played the game.

Final release of Miserere done. No new content will be released, ever. Bugs should be gone, mostly.

Download in main post.

Edited by SnowOwl