New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Calvinchun

RTP in Commercial Game (Just Asking...)

Question

Hi guys!

I didn't update for a long time! So i decided to ask here.

Well, i read the Enterbrain RTP and didn't find it license OR eula.

SO i just ask here then. Can the RTP be used in Commercial Games?

(P.S : I'm very, very sorry for being inactive. The problem is

Class has started and i didn't have much time hanging in the

forums anymore. THANKS GUYS FOR UNDERSTANDING)

4 answers to this question

As far as I remember, yes, you can use RTP in commercial games, as long as they're made using RPG Maker - that is, you're not supposed to use them in games made from scratch. But I might be wrong.

Yes, as long as it's in an RPG Maker game. You can't use it with other engines, but Enterbrain does sell licenses for that if you wanted to. I believe this can be found in the EULA. I know it's at Enterbrains site, though.

IIRC, you can use the RTP in commercial games made with the RPG Maker engine specifically. When you buy the program you buy the right to make and sell RPG Maker games commercially as long as you're not ripping the RTP and using them in, say, Game Maker or something, unless you buy an additional license to do that.

That being said, not much of the community is into commercial RPG Maker games using only the RTP. Not when there are a lot of games using custom made material that are free to download. On the visual side, most would most likely buy an RPG Maker game if it has custom made graphics, music, etc. BUT! Even if you use the RTP exclusively, some will be willing to pay for it if it's really good. My advice would be that, if you take that route, make a free demo when your game's done, to give people a taste of the content before deciding if they want to buy. Sometimes a really well written story or well developed characters make up for the fact that you're using the RTP in a commercial game.

All in all, though, it really doesn't matter. The RTP is free to using within the RPG Maker engine so why not use it? My on-and-off project uses remade sprites from other RPG Makers, although this one's most likely gonna be a free game since this is my testing the waters project, seeing how well I can actually make a game in this engine. I think my commercial project, if I ever make one, will be based on one of my comics and have custom sprites and tilesets and what not.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, do what you want with the RTP. You want to make a game with only RTP? I do not see a problem with that. Want to make it a commercial game? You can do that, too. It's your choice, I'm just informing you of how commercial games using only RTP are usually received. As long as you price it to where the purchase feels justified. As far as content goes, take a look at some iOS RPGs like Zenonia or something. Those are like a dollar but have quite a bit of content.

Pardon my essay-post, and Good luck!