New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Noob Saibot

Pluto not a Planet

Some of you may already know, but in 1999 new discoveries lead a few Astronomers to re-think what Pluto was. It wasn't until 2005 that about 400 people took a vote and ousted Pluto as a Planet because it did not meet their 3 Laws of Pluto:

1) Need to clear it's orbit of other objects.

2) It must be spherical (roundish).

3) It must orbit a Star.

However, their seems to be some confusion on the exact new definition of a planet. So it can also be:

A planet is a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, and © has cleared the neighbourhood [sic] around its orbit [ref].

Now this means Pluto fails only 1 of those three rules (number 1). However, their have been discoveries of what we call Hot Jupiters & Rogue Planets.

Hot Jupiters -- Orbit a star really closely about the distance of Mercury or even closer. However, these planets also fail one of the 3 laws. Their orbit is not stationary around its star as it moves closer to its sun (i.e. they where created far away from their star, but moved inward). Yet Astronomers call it a planet and not a Dwarf Planet (which would be dumb because dwarf means little).

Rogue Planets -- Are planest that formed in a solar system, but where thrown out of orbit due to a Hot Jupiter. It also fails one of the tree laws of pluto because it doesn't orbit a star and of course they are considered a planet.

Now I grew up learning Pluto was a planet so I stick to what I learned and not what 400 idiots voted on with no real scientific proof.

Plus if you think about it they are saying that Clyde Tombaugh (who discovered Pluto) was wrong and that he did not discover a planet at all.

What do you think?

~Keven

Edited by Noob Saibot

I think it should still be a planet. It looks round to me, it has its own gravity or it wouldn't be round. Its obvious its orbiting the sun. #1 shouldn't matter imo.

I don't see why its not considered a planet.

Yea Pluto was a planet and is not anymore? That is the biggest oxymoronic idea I have ever seen or heard of!!

So that is what NASA gets paid to do? WTF!

It had to do with the discover of other objects in the Kyper Belt that are either the same size, bigger, or smaller then Pluto. Thus they decided a vote of 400 people (not even the entire comity) that Pluto and objects like it are not planets.

In fact it spawned a site: http://www.savepluto.com/ & http://www.plutoisaplanet.org/

~Keven

Edited by Noob Saibot

Well it doesn't make a very interesting discussion if everybody agree with one of the sides.

If objects in the Kyper belt are considered planets, so should the objects in the asteroid belt. You know, the asteroids.

Forget the definition, planets are objects that individually orbit around a star. Belts are a cluster of objects that are part of the solar system, and Pluto is just one such object, directly its part of the Kyper belt, and only indirectly of the solar system.

To compare, planets are like people who live alone, and Pluto is like a person that lives with their family. Both are equally human, but living alone is not the same as living with your family, and that's why Pluto should be in a different category from the conventional planets.

well if they had not discovered eris then they would never have had found or atleast thought that pluto was a dwarf planet but still for me pluto will and always be a planet... Though well never mind

Well it doesn't make a very interesting discussion if everybody agree with one of the sides.

If objects in the Kyper belt are considered planets, so should the objects in the asteroid belt.

You see I have no problem calling Planets like Pluto a Dwarf Planet (i.e. Small Planet). However, their so called 3 Laws of Pluto are flawed (as I explained above). I'm okay with having rules on what a planet it, but they must make sense. Like for me I would say:

1) Is spherical (roundish).

2) Is not smaller then 1,000km

Those make more sense and I'm sure many people could agree with them.

~Keven

Pluto without a doubt is a planet of our solar system. It follows the three laws, certainly orbits our sun, and shouldn't be considered outside of our system. If Pluto were to leave the solar system, it would screw up with so many different mythologies, ruining a partial bit of this interesting enjoyment. I'm actually not going to be completely serious in this next part.

Pluto was always that odd one out of our family, he was like a brother the solar system, just orbiting more outside. He like to hang out with dwarfs, but we were fine with that, he was still our little buddy, and we cared for him. He was always Neptune's favourite sibling, for they were closer than Uranus. But then the father of the solar system disowned Pluto, for he didn't like Pluto hanging out with the dwarfs and for being quite awkwardly tilted in terms of straightness. The father's name was Homo Sapians, and ruined Pluto's life, making him colder than ever. But Mother nature gave the right idea and tried to get Pluto back into the family, but the other planets made it difficult by being straight and round and all that. I don't think Pluto has been orbiting further away from us than now. Well, if father doesn't approve Pluto back into the family, at least he can chill out with Ceres, and Makemake out with Eris... Haumea can come too.

Ardi out.

... Well, that was a sudden outburst on a topic that's been dead for 3 years. Not to mention pointless to begin with.

Are you really that bored?

... Well, that was a sudden outburst on a topic that's been dead for 3 years. Not to mention pointless to begin with.

Are you really that bored?

Yup, no other reason why I'm here on this website. Except that I have my game on the other hand.

Don't listen to him. Actually, I thought he was dead. 

oh my lord the infamous Saltome returns once more... I haven't seen him in forever D: Amazing, he has been resurrected! 

Don't listen to him. Actually, I thought he was dead. 

Oh, was anything I said wrong?

I know you are lenient about necro posting. But I don't see a particular reason for this topic to be reactivated.

oh my lord the infamous Saltome returns once more... I haven't seen him in forever D: Amazing, he has been resurrected! 

Yeah, well I don't plan to stick around. Us 'real' ghosts can't stay in this world for long after all.

ps: It's funny how it took a "ghost" to drag me out of the shadow.

I would say I'm sensible rather than lenient. The purpose of a rule must be used to interpret it. But yeah this was a decent necro, I just don't care :P

Yeah, well I don't plan to stick around. Us 'real' ghosts can't stay in this world for long after all.

So nomadic, so mysterious. But unless you're going walkabout in the outback, I don't think you're leaving. 

I would say I'm sensible rather than lenient. The purpose of a rule must be used to interpret it. But yeah this was a decent necro, I just don't care :P

So nomadic, so mysterious. But unless you're going walkabout in the outback, I don't think you're leaving. 

Well... Maybe I just like to haunt this place. x) *Boooo*

And spook the new guys. lol :D

PS: Going off topic isn't condoned by the rules either. ;)

Such an awful owner.

Edited by Saltome

Woah, so much cool, I resurrected a dead user! My power is unmatchable!

Well... Maybe I just like to haunt this place. x) *Boooo*

And spook the new guys. lol :D

PS: Going off topic isn't condoned by the rules either. ;)

Such an awful owner.

I don't think there is any problem going off topic, it's literally like a real cafe in here. Who knows where your words will take you. Btw, awful owner? You're haounting dis plece? U  spook neow gie? Da fuq? Vut u meen? Y su mani queshions? Idk due u? Btw I'm a gaust!

Well it's actually all thanks to Marked for having auto subscription to topics enabled by default.

This one happens to be one of the few topics I've been in outside the introduction place and the rmxp help section.

Now I don't mind having a free conversation in forum. I always found the concept of a forum or email subject.

But on most serious forums that is just gonna get your topic locked. And with good reasons.