New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
railfan101

Need some help developing a game idea

Since it's currently unknown what is going on yet with the contest thread (as in i don't know if i'll be able to judge or not based on what the staff thinks) i figured i'd post what i'm thinking about doing now. i've been juggling an idea of a game for awhile, a sort of demo though poor in quality was shown a while back.

i don't even remember the idea i had for that game in the first place, so i'm going to try and start over.

so far, all i have for a game i want to do is Open World, Side Quests, and the main story split up into missions similar to Red Dead Redemption.

but that's all i have. i don't have a story, i don't have characters, i don't have anything. so you might be asking what do i need help with?

Well, i'm looking at a possible theme being Survival. Can you survive in an open world where supplies are limited, money is scarce, and opportunities to save your game are low. but i dont' have much else to go on.

not at all. i was only referencing Red Dead as an example of what i'm trying to do. since posting that though, i've come up with a couple ideas. forgot to write them down and don't have time to now since i'm heading out the door to work.

Well I'm interested, but you need a capable and dedicated team for that sort of game. If you can get one together, I'll come along.

I think Shin can help you to find mappers and artists, if he decides to join.

I can help with design, management, writing, debugging, database, events and scripting, pretty much in that order.

Would be nice to find a composer, but it's not absolutely critical.

And you need to find a skilled scripter, without one this won't go far. And I mean skilled, because this would be a script heavy project.

Make an Apocalypse now style game. Well here's an idea.

First of all Humanity has almost been extinct. after many Nuclear wars and Events around space. The Survivors that are still alive struggle to find anything to survive. these survivors have to be cautious because Humanity has transformed into 2 species.

the first species are Mutants similar to humans but they can transform themselfs into a beast. the second specie are zombies thanks to the Nuclear war there has been many changes to the human DNA.

That would be a concept idea

now here is more ideas.

Food and bullets would bring the player money.

to save your game progress you would need a sheet of paper to save your progress.(like resident evil 1-3)

Safe houses could help provide you a Map, some food, and bullets.

i can give you more ideas.

And you need to find a skilled scripter, without one this won't go far. And I mean skilled, because this would be a script heavy project.

I dont think every game needs a script, theres a several good games out there that ive seen doesnt look like have a script attached to it. Scripts would just get your project delayed for about a time.

For open world games you will definitely need mappers.

Edited by deathmoverz24

Yeah not every game needs a scripter, but this is a survival game, at the very least you are gonna need to script survival needs or periodical events incorporated into a time system. And I don't know why you think a script would delay anything, if you know what you are doing, making scripts doesn't take long.