New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Jar Of Dirt

Website Design Feedback?

Just wanting to get some design feedback for my imitation forum, Infinite GameDev (http://infinitegamedev.forumotion.net/)

I still have stuff that I need to fix, but it's mostly done. Graphic-wise, I mean. As far as being a functioning forum ready for members, I'd say it's only about 20% there.

Edit: The site is getting closer to completion. I still have some forums to make, but I'd say it's about 65% completed.

Edited by Jar Of Dirt

Did you just make a forum based off of this one? How flattering :D

Now that I think about, switching them around to say "Unlimited Game Dev" prob sounds better...

Have you been looking at my source code? It's a bit off a mess in there :P You'll need an element inspector or something to see the CSS since its minified. I sorta feel like this current design was my practice

The logo looks great and that's a cool background effect you're doing there.

Now that I think about, switching them around to say "Unlimited Game Dev" prob sounds better...

>> .. No. My idea. Lol.

Have you been looking at my source code? It's a bit off a mess in there :P You'll need an element inspector or something to see the CSS since its minified. I sorta feel like this current design was my practice

Your CSS? Nope. Lol. I don't even know CSS. :)

The logo looks great and that's a cool background effect you're doing there.

Thank you. Made it meself.

>> .. No. My idea. Lol.

Haha well, I've made up my mind. Otherwise I can't use 'GDU'.

Your CSS? Nope. Lol. I don't even know CSS. :)

Oh, well then your customizations are impressive if you made them. I thought you may be good with CSS and HTML since both of our websites have a wrapper like this:

This forum started out imitating Creation Asylum using a free forum service, that site is pretty much dead now but after all these years we still haven't caught their post count

Haha well, I've made up my mind. Otherwise I can't use 'GDU'.

What? Otherwise you can't use 'GDU'? I don't understand.

Oh, well then your customizations are impressive if you made them. I thought you may be good with CSS and HTML since both of our websites have a wrapper like this: <div id="ipbwrapper" (so I thought you were making your own edits) although that's obviously a software a thing that they haven't changed in many years :P

Well the CSS is from the original theme. It was a Bleach RP Forum theme. I don't like Bleach, nor did I want to make an RP forum for it. I just changed their graphics with my own.

This forum started out imitating Creation Asylum using a free forum service, that site is pretty much dead now but after all these years we still haven't caught their post count

I've heard of creation asylum, but I've never been there. And I'm sure you'll catch up one day.

What? Otherwise you can't use 'GDU'? I don't understand.

Game Dev Unlimited = GDU

Unlimited Game Dev = UGD

I've heard of creation asylum, but I've never been there. And I'm sure you'll catch up one day.

That's the plan. If I get the time, I have some good ideas :) I actually have a notebook of ideas... But I actually work full time at a web design (sadly not web development) company after the university year, and its kinda hard to 1. do enough hours consecutively in the day to have enough time for other stuff and 2. go from working on a computer all day to doing the exact same stuff as a hobby. Can you imagine the state of body if I didn't have a mini gym in my house? :P

Also I can't register on your site as "Marked", it says username is already taken D: Which clearly it isn't.

Game Dev Unlimited = GDU

Unlimited Game Dev = UGD

Oh. Gotcha.

That's the plan. If I get the time, I have some good ideas :) I actually have a notebook of ideas... But I actually work full time at a web design (sadly not web development) company after the university year, and its kinda hard to 1. do enough hours consecutively in the day to have enough time for other stuff and 2. go from working on a computer all day to doing the exact same stuff as a hobby.

Hm. What's the difference between web design and web development?

Can you imagine the state of body if I didn't have a mini gym in my house? :P

Probably the same as my body. I don't have a mini gym.

Also I can't register on your site as "Marked", it says username is already taken D: Which clearly it isn't.

Odd.. Very odd. If you wanna PM me with the info you want to use (username, email and password) I'll set up the account real quick. I'll have to look into that.

EDIT: I managed to sign up under Jar of Dirt just fine. I dunno why it won't sign you up.

Edited by Jar Of Dirt

Web design is the visual front-end side of things and web development is the actual coding that produces an the html output to be designed. I guess you could lump both limbs under the one heading web development.

Can you rename Jar of Dirt to Marked and make up a password and PM it to me? I want to be the 2nd member :>

Web design is the visual front-end side of things and web development is the actual coding that produces an the html output to be designed. I guess you could lump both limbs under the one heading web development.

Oh. Well that makes sense.

Can you rename Jar of Dirt to Marked and make up a password and PM it to me? I want to be the 2nd member :>

Absolutely. Lol. Just let me un-ban him. And change the email. and password.

So all I had to do was make a copy of GDU and name it UGD or DUG? All that has you all Jazzed up to be the second member...wow

So all I had to do was make a copy of GDU and name it UGD or DUG? All that has you all Jazzed up to be the second member...wow

tumblr_lmahdpGt2r1qhxxvh.gif

This has given me no feedback on the design.

Did you not read that it was just an imitation forum? Besides, I'm sure Marked has accounts on some other game dev forums. :/

Shin...do you really want me to go into an in-depth comparison of yours and his site? I'm just one person anyway, and I do prefer this site in both design and flow. Others will think differently. If someone were to copy this site, I would think they've got a idea, wouldn't I? :P Besides, I tried to help you and you took none of my advice, so you can't read much into this topic can you? Anyways, back on topic now. PM me if you need to.

Shin, would you like some tips on your design? I'd be more than happy to help you. And that's not meant to sound sarcastic/mean in any way. If you do want some tips, PM me. Like I said, more than happy.

but your mistaken. I did take your advice Marked. I removed all the scrolling images at the top. I remade the header to blend in more and I tones down the over all images on the main page so it would load faster. I am also pulling away from RPG Maker more too.

Don't like the background it's too chaotic too look at. Forum sections looks very nice, love the transparent with a slight grey tint. The text is good but the tabs at the top under the banner appear to be too fine-ite and look too sharp. Overall nicely done.

Edited by madanchi

I agree with mandachi. Remove some of the swirls from the mid section of the forum. But it looks good. Love the logo.

I agree with mandachi. Remove some of the swirls from the mid section of the forum. But it looks good. Love the logo.

Well the entire background is just a single image. And yeah, I've thought about redoing it for a simpler background. Perhaps one to better suit the banner. Maybe tomorrow. I'm re-installing W7 on my desktop right now. Then I gotta find all my install discs for PS and stuff.

You could just cut the swirls as they cross over into the white part of the image.

Yeah. Once I reinstall PS I'll just redesign everything. I'm gonna be trying a different type of background.

You should add more forums too.

Yeah. Like I said, still not 100% ready for everything. I'm gonna add a 'site feedback' forum but I dunno what other forums it would need.

When I don't have much too say I let my dog do the communicating for me.

ljXYU.gif