New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
diagostimo

anyone know a good tutorial for php development?

hey guys, so i want to get into making a website that utilizes mysql to manage users and let them log in, from what i have read i need to learn php, but i cant find many in depth tuts to follow through, what i can do:

• code in html
  • make database such as a mysql
  • understanding of other coding languages

basicly im trying to pull of a test forum for my first atempt, allowing the user to create and post on topics, i need a good tut that will help me understand php from beginning to end and how i can utilize it with mysql to achieve what i want.

You want to create a forum?? That's a huge task, unless its incredibly simple. I think u need to tackle some smaller projects first. Your really gona struggle to find the tuts u need and combine that knowledge into a single project without any php experience. The tuts you do find will probably be incomplete.

I learned php through coding into joomla, coding into something really speeds up learning coz ur not just messing around on a blank page.

There are 2 tuts I want u to read. Both on a forum called webdev refinery under the php section, in one of the sub forums. First is the PDO tut on how to make mysql queries the proper way. Second is what u need to make a user account system.

Next, always search nettuts first and see if they hav what u want.

Next, u can buy a user account system from code cannon, which i recommend once u get serious, coz u need to be secure.

Oh, don't forget the mvc tut on webdev refinery. That's how gdu is made.

Double post coz I'm on my phone. So after u nail the basics, then u wana get into oop, classes and functions. It's a long road, I can't imagine ever making a forum and I'm always learning php. Though simple comments etc is simple.

Let me kno if u hav any php issues u can't solve, no one has really asked me for help with php yet :) I'm alright

yeah, learning php from the web is tough cause most tuts are incomplete. And as Marked explained learning from something else is the key, see how they use the functions and how they work before working on a project from scratch.

Building a forum is a huge task and requires a lot of work. Is there a reason you want to build a website from scratch? There are plenty of resources out there for that kinda stuff. Free forums you can download, newscast web scripts that are easy to use but offer a lot of leeway for your design and content.

thanks for the input guys, the main reason i want to get into php is because me and some friends had an idea on making more personal based forums for storing and posting information, as im already familiar in many fields of coding i thought i would give it a shot, i know by all means im not going to pick it up straight away, i learnt that when i took on other coding languages, and im still learning about them now.

also thanks for the references marked, i see some great tuts up there so ill be sure to follow through with them :)

You can tackle the Codecademy courses like I did.They cover PHP from the beginning to OOP.And they also have great HTML & CSS and jQuery couses.

Happy Coding.