New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
ShinGamix

Gates of Immortality Week 2 Choices

Week 2 Polls  

10 members have voted

1. 1. How many Moons should Planet GoI Have?

• 2 but both normal looking
    • 2 one redish one and one bluish one
    • 2 one light and one dark
  2. 2. What time frame should Goi be in?

• Modern (NowDays)
    • Medieval Era (Castles and stuff)
    • Greek/Roman style Era (The Bronze Age)
    • Feudal Era (Samarai era)
    • SteamPunk Era
    • Western aka Wild West Era
    • Neo Mechanical (Cyber Machines/Scifi Future)
    • Barbarian Horde Era (aka Conan the Barbarian Era)
    • A mix of the two for a clash era like Feudal SteamPunk. Must post mix in topic!
  3. 3. Should the kid's dad be...?

• Werewolf
    • A Ghost
    • A Zombie
    • Evil Spirit
    • A Scary Monster
    • A Monster Lord
    • Secret Royalty
    • Really Dead
    • Imprisioned In the Dungeon of the Castle.
    • Trapped in Hell
    • Turned into an Enchanted Item
    • Turned into the Family Pet
    • On a Quest

Since I have found out that we can't change the choices and questions in topic polls I had to make a new topic for this weeks polls. This may have been fixed since then but I have not tested it out yet.

Edited by ShinGamix

For the time setting, I say a mix between renaissance, and feudal.

I don't think the steam punk genre can be called a time setting as it's more of a theme there was really never a steam punk era I think what you was thinking of was renaissance, which was essentially the marking point of the end of the black plague and the birth of art and science becoming a common place. Most of invention took place throughout the renaissance period and many artists were credited within the scientific world. Leonardo da Vinci being one of those artists who were also scientists, his sketches on human anatomy are still used today as reliable resources for studying anatomy, he was also an engineer and had created was to build momentous statues and even designed what had been adapted and turned into helicopters today. The Renaissance period was also a time of alchemical studies, the turning of lead into gold.

Steam punk is more of creating wondrous and impossible machines that would run off steam power, though steam power is not actually a requirement as there have been many game adaptations of steam punk that allowed these machines to run off magical power as well. Airships, would be an example of what would be found in a steam punk world. Other things would be huge mechanical suits used for common tasks or even for combat (think Final Fantasy 3 magi-tek armor), cities on the back of large walking robots. The clothes for a steam punk themed world would be similar to renaissance though there would be more tans, blacks, and grays and less of the bright colors which renaissance clothing is known for.

The fact that it is rather difficult to work out a decent 2D steam punk is why I wouldn't recommend it at least not as a primary theme, perhaps including the small things, broilers and pipes through cities, that would allow for some larger steam punk introductions. It aggravates me to no end when you are playing a game in medieval era and then suddenly there's an airship, it doesn't fit, but introducing the smaller nuances will create the opportunity.

As far as that goes, perhaps rather than a region of the world, it takes place across the entire world, not all regions changed at the same time, when Europe was in the Renaissance, most of Asia was still in a feudal and post-feudal culture. Deciding that the whole world will be one way is very limiting and takes out the possibility of making use of the economy of different cultures to make a profit from around the world trading. I would love to see a large diverse world where I can buy something in one region and trade it in another to make a profit.

Unless you are planning to include large steam powered vessels like airships, don't bother with steam punk in a 2D engine. Go with Renaissance and Feudal, if you plan to make a even more diverse world introduce an American Settlers kind of region, though that is going a little far and really doesn't fit to well.

As the polls stand now, I think the dad is going to be a werewolf zombie, that has been turned into the family pet and stuck inside an enchanted jar. It's a fairy in a bottle!!!!

Edited by RageMage

Thanks for actually following the topic suggestion Rage.

I appreciate the detail and facts you give in your statement!!

I didn't realize so many people would vote so fast!!! Nice! Thanks.

I'm surprised you read my wall of text, I wrote it and wont read it. Glad that it wasn't 30 minutes of typing wasted lol.

I really don't like the idea of 2 moons though, it's done every time you turn around, heck Acclaim hosted a MMO that was called 2Moons (Dekaron, was the original Korean name that it goes by globally now as Acclaim no longer hosts the servers). If there is to be more than one moon I say 4 or 5. My question is since it was to be a 2D game, how are you going to pull off multiple moons? Will it just be cut scenes showing the moons or will there be more to it? It would be more understandable to talk about multiple moons if the game was to be 3D as it would be something that would see more than 1 or 2 times and give an actual effect on the visuals of the game.

Yes I read the WHOLE Novel! You took the time to write it. I was thinking of going with three moons.

The Renaissance is such a hard time period to put a visual to. I was leaning toward feudal and steam-punk mix actually.

Why steam-punk? Cause it makes technology stand out so much more!! and Feudal era ala Inuyasha, but I duuno for certain yet. That is one of the hold ups on part II.

Maybe Medieval, Western Feudal Steam-punk? haha!

Renaissance is pretty easy to put a visual to, in fact it is one of the easiest to do. Essentially as I said the Renaissance was an age of Art and Science, most of the great artists of all time were from the renaissance era. If you think about great cathedrals large stone buildings with tall spires on the roof, gargoyles and other decorative statues built into the buildings. This also was the introduction of the middle class where as previously there was royalty and knights and then there was everyone else, with this also introduced the option for anyone to wear clothing styles that would have previously been only available to royalty. There was a time where a style for clothing called slashing was invented this was where thin light weight tunics of one color was worn under a tunic of another color the outer tunic's sleeves were cut into strips to allow the color of the other tunic to show through.

I find it much easier to picture than many other themes, for 2D I think it would be much easier than steam-punk. This sort of thing is something that needs to be researched in depth and every detail covered, I've done research for both renaissance and steam-punk for my game since they fit together very well. A steam-punk medieval mix I don't see working to well logically, but that's not saying it can't be done of course.

I guess I better stop before I get back to writing my novel on the Renaissance period.

2 moons one light one dark

Steampunk era

Werewolf, enchanted item /family pet.

and this ends week 2

Edited by ShinGamix