New account registrations are disabed. This website is now an archive. Read more here.
Marked

2012, a year in review

Welcome to the 2012 review of GDU. So... what happened on GDU during 2012?

RMXP Unlimited to Game Dev Unlimited September 11th

The most significant event of the year is easily saying goodbye to RMXP Unlimited and old Joomla CMS website. I have fond memories of mornings in 2008 where I would work on articles for the CMS before school, where I first learnt to write HTML. The transition to GDU was a smooth one, but probably over-hyped and was expected. Most members saw the move as merely a change in design and at this stage in GDU's life, it's still hard to convince everyone of the beauty of the new system. I'm sure this will change during 2013 :)

The death of an RMXPU Legend May 22nd

Apparently. It was announced that our beloved Kiriashi had passed away by Polraudio, who got the news 2nd hand over IM. It is most likely hoax, I personally took it as a dramatic resignation from staff. Yep, I'm pretty sure Kiriashi is alive and well, but probably not the same as we knew him. I still try to antagonise him nonetheless to drag him out of hiding. This very paragraph is an example of that :) I guess I could just talk to him on Skype..

cc215ad992fcf1a2f05f4dca9b163ec8.png

Top Topics of 2012 The whole year

(Topics started after the 1st of Jan, 2012. Excluding scripts from the old RMXPU scripts archive)

Topic Views Posts Author
Announcing gdunlimited.net 5,404 98 Marked
Moonpearl's Animated Custom Menu System 4,682 55 Moonpearl
[RMXP]Heretic's Caterpillar - Extensive Feat.. 4,579 78 Heretic86
Kiriashi Passed Away 4,197 54 Polraudio
RPG Maker VX ACE trial released - direct download 3,235 27 Marked

The Great Downtime December 3rd - December 17th

Oh, this was just a few weeks ago. The "Great Downtime" was the longest downtime for many, many years. It was so sever that it has earned its place in history, with its own page on wikipedia:

5d546241c7ef34ab0555f840526e3b9c.png

GDU'ers worldwide went crazy on the GDU Facebook Page. Here are some quotes:

GDU Socialite

How dare there be down time!

GDU Socialite

How many cores do you have?

GDU Socialite

Cross all 99 of my problems..
^ No idea what he meant by that.

Tomo2000

Well, F***

The Great Downtime lasted a full 15 days, and was topped off nicely by a cherry-on-top hacking and subsequently being flagged as a malicous site, slaughtering our traffic with a 50% reduction. Good news however as these effects seem to be finally over with traffic restored to its normal level. As you can see, well deserving of its own title. And in case you were worried, GDU is completely clean:

855f46c9105dd190bd679398d5f32e3f.png

A foreshadowing of 2013

So what do we have in the works for 2013? Hopefully you've already seen our roadmap. Since GDU going live in September we have crossed 2/9 off the list and the plan is to cross them off one by one. In March we moved a lot of content off the website into forum topics. So our priority is to get those sections back up first before getting to the more unique sections planned for GDU. Also to feature in 2013 will be some fresh new faces in our staff team. If you're interested, stick around ;)

Have a good New Years and see you all in 2013

2012 was a pretty good year. Some ups, some downs, but overall, we're still alive. I have good hopes for 2013. Also, my quote there from the downtime is so damn Australian, it's laughable.

This is the first site that I have ever seen that did something like this. I was amazed and sad to see that one of the people had passed away. Sad, but it is nice that he is remembered. Some of the other sites act like you are just an employee instead a human being. Thank you guys for this! I really like the way this topic was done. Keep up the good work.

Ah I remember joining back in like 2008 I think, all unfamiar with how forums worked. I have been on other forums since and this is the only one I actively find myself going back to lol. I can't think of any bad things that happened, save for the blackout of the website. Looking forward to the next year and what it brings!